WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Map

Question Map

Where would I get a waterproof map of the Pinhoti Trail?

Thank you,
    Queen

As a thought, I typically put my paper maps in a large, resealable freezer baggie with the map folded to the section I am walking through. Its about the cheapest method I can figure out, and it allows the map to be folded up to pocket size easily.

Forest service sells a wp Pinhoti map but it only covers trail within the talladega nf in AL. Don't think there are wp of other areas in AL - old one I have of a section is paper. Not sure about GA. Lots of road walk there so probably less likely to have wp map. Start search here.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/trail-maps..html

where can I find a good topo hike trail map, any paper, of northern Georgia Pinhoti?

Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    where can I find a good topo hike trail map, any paper, of northern Georgia Pinhoti?
    Try National Geographic.
    https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...est--trail-map
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    You can download and print maps for the entire trail from the Pinhoti Trail Association website.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

The Trails Illustrated National Geographic maps I have are all printed on water proof paper.
    If you print your own, you can print them on waterproof paper that is readily available. Just google "waterproof printer paper".

Personally, I gave up on the expensive printer paper and just print on normal paper, and like Traveler suggested above, I put them in Ziploc freezer bags of whatever size I want for that trip and that map. I often use my printer to make a color photocopy of the part of any map I want and don't actually take the purchased map of the area I am going to. In fact, I pretty much never take a full map, and pretty much always photocopy what I want and just take that even though, more often than not, the original map is waterproof and the copy I make is not.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I don't remember seeing any complete WP PT maps/mapset offered. Maybe, but I doubt it, there's some new WP maps depicting the entire trail.

FWIW, going back about four yrs ago I pieced various maps together, mainly Chris' Mr. Parkays free maps, with added Rebecca Mt reroute, and separate extension map to Flagg Mt, and already had the WP TI NG Map that detailed where the PT joined the BMT. Printing the maps out on a laser printer in color and storing in a clear plastic sheet folder protected my maps well even though I experienced 3-4 heavier rain days. As said I too feel the AL PT segments it is a bit more important too have topos since that is largely on single track.

Since the GET overlaps some of the PT you'll find maps here too. http://www.gethiking.net/p/guides.html?m=1

thin clear flexible non binder ringed top loading sheet protectors importantly with a 1/4 rigid top flat flap combined with laser prints on paper used by libraries, Mailboxes etc, Kinkos etc, have protected my maps with no bleed at 10-25 cts per even when I've dropped them in streams and puddles

Thanks for the links! Found the great maps on the GetHiking.Net site! Now back to planning!

You need maps on the GA part more than in AL due to 1) nail on signs in GA constantly falling off or STOLEN (vs paint in AL) 2) all single-track in AL is easier than lots of intersections back and forth between fire break rds, old logging rds, open access hunting rds, AND single-track path 3) path in GA has some sections where mtn bike goes on dble track and hiking path goes another way.

++ New Posts ++