WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cairn box......is it worth it?

I like the concept, but a lot of the gear they show is.....not something an aspiring lightweight/UL backpacker would care about. I'd like to hear from subscribers if they think it's worth it for someone like me (someone attempting to hit the 12lb baseweight).

What is a cairn box? That's a new term for this old geezer.

OK, I followed the link. I still don't get it. What's the connection to "going light?"

I don't really have the answer to the OP's question. I just want to say that that is one of the worst web pages I have ever seen. Really annoying.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

A grab bag. It's the toy in the cracker jack box. You send them some money and they send you a bag of hiking crap that they got at a huge discount because it's excess inventory. My garage is half full of crap just like the valuable items that come in the box. A marketing ploy. Save your money and buy only items that you know you need.

I had a subscription for about 5 months and then I cancelled it. If your goal is to get lighter, a cairn subscription will not feed that desire. During my subscription I received everything from collapsible water bottles to a steel Stanley travel coffee cup. Every once and a while there were some pretty neat knick-knacks that would come, but after only 5 months (5 boxes) I started seeing repeat items. It is pretty cool as a gift for somebody that likes the surprise of new stuff every month, but it certainly isn't geared towards somebody trying to achieve the UL weight. Just wasn't worth $25 every month for stuff I didn't really need.

I have a hard enough time finding the right equipment when I buy the item myself. Maybe if I were a very casual beginner this would be ok but I'd imagine its a lot of trinkety stuff.

Thank you for confirming my suspicious.

Not worth it. Looks a lot like Columbia House cd membership pyramid of yesteryear

Quote Originally Posted by importman77 View Post
    I don't really have the answer to the OP's question. I just want to say that that is one of the worst web pages I have ever seen. Really annoying.
    The site locked up my computer.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

W.....T......F... planet did I just land on????
    Alice: This is impossible.
    The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

Oh... right... planet SPAM. .. Obviously there are no mods in these forums and SPAM runs like the spring melt in the Rockies.

it was a legit question gritty. i am not afiliated with the site in any way. drop the cynicism brotha.

Buy and carry what you need not what you want......Save your money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"drop the cynicism brotha"

A I'm not ur "brotha" and B Cynic just might be part of my trail name... happy hiking.

you...... have.....got....to ...be....####ing me!

We are talking about THIS?

"For $25 a month (free shipping; save with a 6 or 12-month subscription) a box arrives with a “carefully curated” selection of outdoor related items, usually from these categories:
    • GEAR: Thermoses, Headlamps, First Aid Kits
    • APPAREL: Hiking socks, Gloves, Beanies
    • FOOD/NUTRITION: Energy Bars, Snacks for the trail, Drink mixes
    • SKIN CARE: Sun products, Insect repellants, Lip balms
    • EMERGENCY: First-aid kits, fire starters"

Baltimore Jack (RIP) is rolling over in his grave.

Hey- these subscription boxes *can* be a fun way to discover new products. I used to subscribe to a makeup box, but after a while didn't get products I liked.

For people who have really crap outdoors stores near them and don't want to spend all day browsing the Internet to find gear, maybe it's fun. Maybe it's not. Hence the question. It's obviously not your cup of tea, and it's nowhere near close to the definition of spam, so I think you can back off a little.

We aren't all Baltimore Jack, and we don't all have to hike like him, and wow would that be a boring trail if we did.

And, seriously, why do I care about Baltimore Jack's opinion on my shopping habits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every once in a while there will be something really good. Toaks titanium utensils, inflatable Klymit pillow, etc. I have given away many items to friends. They don't cater to the UL community, just hikers/campers in general.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++