WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    When I carry, I use an Osprey pocket (can't find the model, it's something between a chest pocket and hip pocket). I have it mounted on my right hip and it's large enough for my GPS, a few snacks, and either my G27, Shield, or LCP. Obvious caveat is that the gun is always holstered.

I don't think Osprey sells that accessory any longer, but it makes for a good concealed gun case.
    Sounds good.

I cannot imagine some of the other shared strategies, especially during warmer weather when one is likely to be hiking in a sweat-drenched Duofold t-shirt and very lightweight shorts (or similar).

Some of these carry suggestions would be great for trips to the supermarket or even on day hikes, but not so much when you are sharing space and communal camping areas with strangers (most good but sometimes not), IMHO.
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-13-2016 at 14:38. Reason: New question not SF enough.

Please keep responses to carry methods as this is in the SF Forum.

Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Sounds good.

I cannot imagine some of the other shared strategies, especially during warmer weather when one is likely to be hiking in a sweat-drenched Duofold t-shirt and very lightweight shorts (or similar).

Some of these carry suggestions would be great for trips to the supermarket or even on day hikes, but not so much when you are sharing space and communal camping areas with strangers (most good but sometimes not), IMHO.
    I am surprised more people don't opt for front packs.All sorts of items can be kept in them that are readily available yet out of sight.

[
    ...especially during warmer weather when one is likely to be hiking in a sweat-drenched Duofold t-shirt and very lightweight shorts (or similar).
    I'm in San Antonio, it gets way hotter than I like, and I carry a gun all the time. As I mentioned in another post it looks like the screw in my holster rusted and I twisted an Allen trying to get it loose. My gun gets wet with sweat if I'm hiking, shooting a gun match, might get wet in the rain, etc. A gun is like any other piece of gear. My sleeping bag gets wet I take steps to dry it out. Same with a gun.

Years ago I hiked with a WilsonCombat 1911. I sometimes would put the gun in a Ziploc for moisture protection. Back then they cost about $2400.00. These days I have Glocks. Much more environment-proof and I can buy 6 Glocks for the price of one Wilson.

...but not so much when you are sharing space and communal camping areas with strangers (most good but sometimes not), IMHO.
    Gotta say I've never communal camped like I'm reading about here. That said, I wouldn't be fearful at all of having my gun. Communal grocery shopping, communal camping...I don't see much difference.

Concealed, safe and always under my control. Those are the absolute non-negotiable rules.

This paragraph issue is killing me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StillMoving View Post
    Gotta say I've never communal camped like I'm reading about here. That said, I wouldn't be fearful at all of having my gun. Communal grocery shopping, communal camping...I don't see much difference.

Concealed, safe and always under my control. Those are the absolute non-negotiable rules.
    Yup.

My concern had less to do with keeping the gun protected from the elements, than with it printing.

On the trail it is harder to select clothes that will help conceal your weapon, I think. I just don't see how one could carry IWB or even a belly band wearing nylon shorts and a typical hiking shirt.

I also think it is even more important to be totally concealed when you are sharing a designated campsite, than around town.

Mostly to be sensitive to the irrational fears of those who will be sleeping in the same general area -- the dark is scary enough for some or they might have watched "Nocternal Animals" recently -- but also so as to not show all your cards in the rare event you find yourself in a bad situation.

I keep coming back to a repurposed fanny pack turned around front as the only workable solution, but that could be it's own tell, right?

I keep coming back to a repurposed fanny pack turned around front as the only workable solution, but that could be it's own tell, right?
    I tried that years ago and the weight of the gun in front was uncomfortable. If I didn't have the fanny pack tight it would bounce. If I got it tight enough so it wouldn't bounce the tightness was uncomfortable.

At least for me, my cut-pouch thing works best when carrying a backpack. Biggest hassle to me in all of this is finding a private place to remove the gun from the pouch and get it on my belt because I will not leave the gun unattended.

Carrying IWB is just out of the question for hiking, backpacking, etc. I will carry OWB with my shirt covering though when doing those things as long as I don't need the waist straps on my smaller day pack.

As I say, "success is directly proportional to desire." If I want to carry my gun bad enough, I'll figure out a way to make it work.

Images

I carry mine in the dome of my pack. I can easily reach up and unzip it and grab the gun if I need to. And no one knows its there.

Much like the One Ring: keep it secret, keep it safe.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Yup.

My concern had less to do with keeping the gun protected from the elements, than with it printing.

On the trail it is harder to select clothes that will help conceal your weapon, I think. I just don't see how one could carry IWB or even a belly band wearing nylon shorts and a typical hiking shirt.

I also think it is even more important to be totally concealed when you are sharing a designated campsite, than around town.

Mostly to be sensitive to the irrational fears of those who will be sleeping in the same general area -- the dark is scary enough for some or they might have watched "Nocternal Animals" recently -- but also so as to not show all your cards in the rare event you find yourself in a bad situation.

The pot has been introduced to the kettle.

Yup.

My concern had less to do with keeping the gun protected from the elements, than with it printing(?).

Obvious as it seems, concealment is rather easy with the lighter/lightest most compact highly reliable CC weapons. Easy enough with the smaller .32's, .380's, and baby 9 mm's that easily enough fit into even one of my UL backpack's zippered hip belt pockets or a short's pocket. As said earlier this is largely an east coast crowd where on such hikes as the AT don't involve a Brown Bear that's clawing and gnawing at a leg(really?, that's more Hollywood than non fiction, irrational fears can apply to weapon's owners as well!), a mountain lion, charging Rhino, or, as said, being in a LA shootout. This is a hiking forum and the topic is how to carry not what to carry so each has to do their own weapons search considering their situations. There's less/little/no need for a large weapon in the context of an AT/east coast hike.

Easy enough to note wt(is there absolute need for a 20 oz plus weapon and additional 3-4 oz clip?), thickness, overall length(plenty of choices with lengths in the 5" range that conceal easily into a hipbelt pocket or snapped or velcroed short's pocket, reliability, weather resistance, shot capacity(do you really need 7+1 or 11 +1 capacity for the AT even in the lower calibers?). YES, UL backpacking philosophy can apply to CC. It's backpacking first.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whether or not a fear is irrational is perhaps a discussion for another thread (this being in the straightforward section) but the decision on how to carry a firearm should be informed with how and under what circumstances one might potentially use it.

I would be skating on thin ice were I to delve very deeply into that, but I have concluded that if you have a weapon it needs to be accessible at all times, including those times when you are not wearing a backpack. Those interested in how I came to this conclusion could do a google search on the specific circumstances surrounding the deaths of the six thru hikers murdered on the AT. No need to do a search on thruhikers getting killed or seriously injured by a bear, boar or other beast -- the answer to that is zero.

As such I would only consider carrying in a pack -- even accessibly in a pack's belt pocket -- as a partial solution. Sooner or later one needs to put it down, and on a longish hike it would be very difficult or impossible to even keep your pack with your area of control all of the time.

The problem is that in typical thru hiker garb even a small gun will show (print) through ones clothing, right? And then there is the issue of transferring your weapon from your pack to your person. Not so easy.

+1

The problem is that in typical thru hiker garb even a small gun will show (print) through ones clothing, right?

As said earlier even in a loose fitting tee running shirt and looser running shorts no one has ever communicated to me they knew I was carrying. Already said how I carry that allows me to make this happen.

Default How do you carry your sidearm?

as I said earlier in the post at the beginning of this thread, which looks like no one even bother to read. this addresses all the concerns everyone here is discussing about carrying their firearm...

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/Default.aspx

this is how I carry my firearm when I'm backpacking... being an individual who's been around Firearms his entire life, who open carries and concealed carries. hands down this is the best way to carry your firearm when you're carrying a backpack and want to be concealed or don't want your hip belt interfering with your side holster.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaFace View Post
    as I said earlier in the post at the beginning of this thread, which looks like no one even bother to read. this addresses all the concerns everyone here is discussing about carrying their firearm...

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...1/Default.aspx

this is how I carry my firearm when I'm backpacking... being an individual who's been around Firearms his entire life, who open carries and concealed carries. hands down this is the best way to carry your firearm when you're carrying a backpack and want to be concealed or don't want your hip belt interfering with your side holster.
    i might be persueded that is a good option while walking down the trail, but I just don't see it for walking to the privy or spring-- much less for when you drop your pack to do town stuff.

BTW, None of the 6 thru hikers who were murdered on the AT were actually hiking at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaFace View Post

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...1/Default.aspx
    I was sure I commented on that...went back and apparently I didn't or deleted it or something.

Few years back a friend of mine had one...I think it was the snubby model. It worked great...I mean outstanding. I've handled it and the quality was top shelf.

Only problem was he said it was hot for summer hiking. It gets downright dangerous hot around here. His experience made up my mind not to buy one.

I agree that a gun needs to be as available as possible to deal with a sudden threat on the trail(is there any other kind?). So, for me, CC is out. In grizzly country, I opt for a shoulder strap attached cross-draw holster for my Glock 20, like an Uncle Mike's http://www.unclemikes.com/products/h...k-hip-holsters

When I get to camp, I still feel the same way about having the gun as ready as possible, so I simply attach a lanyard(a 200 year old concept) to the Glock's lanyard hole in the grip's backstrap(all Glocks have them), put the lanyard around my neck, and the Glock in a front or rear short's/pant's pocket. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/687...lon-olive-drab

Yes, it is obvious. The header of this post wasn't specifically for concealed carry. I suppose I could fit a small 9mm in the pocket on my hipbelt or a pocket I could rig on a shoulder strap for concealed carry. In camp, I would just stuff it IWB with this clip attached. https://firearmpros.com/techna-clip-...FRyewAodMGoGGw
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-17-2016 at 15:24. Reason: TOS #3

To each their own. For me when carrying becomes this complex as seen in the pic with the Stubby chest model while wearing a backpack with umpteen webbing tag ends, webbing, buckles, cord locks, bungee and potential snags for a clean release plus I'm releasing right under my chin plus the sternum strap of the backpack being used so damn high almost looking like it's choking the person restricting ability to remove jacket or outer layer and easily use the zippers and venting features on apparel backpacking has now turned into something restrictive and more complex than it ought to be. Have to disagree this is "the best way" as if it's "the way" for all. I can see a chest carry acceptable for when not wearing a backpack, as seen in the runner, but too much going on for me with that approach in the shoulder areas. I could easily see chafing problems for one intent more on being a backpacking hiker rather than a camper going for longer daily and total trip distances.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...7/Default.aspx

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    My buddy carries this when hunting mountain lions, he says its really hard to shoot well. What's your experience?
    I used to be a federal agent and carried this weapon as my backup/off duty. I had to qualify with it quarterly, shooting 50 rounds from 1.5 yds out to 50 yds. Up to 15 yds it was deadly accurate as a true point and shoot. Not the best at 50 yds given the short barrel. Very painful to discharge 50 rounds (even when shooting .38s), but deadly accurate for a real life up close situation. You do not need the sites; just point it, straighten your arm and you're there.
    Be Prepared

I just duct tape mine under my boobs.

https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I just duct tape mine under my boobs.

I'm sorry! I couldn't resist!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I used to carry my Glock 19 in an Eberlestock large padded accessory pouch attached to my packs hip belt. This was a decent option but a bit uncomfortable. The pouch would slide around and I didn't like the way it weighed down the right side of my hip belt. I decided to get something smaller and lighter for backpacking. I ended up getting a Ruger LCP and it fits perfectly in the hip belt pocket of my day pack or my Osprey Atmos 65.

A drop leg holster is also an option. You could even rig up a molle pouch on a drop leg molle scabbord if you want to stay concealed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++