WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pot choice

Default Pot choice

I'm currently using the evernew pasta pot (largest one) that weighs 4.1 ounces. It's just too big for solo backpacking. I typically do knor sides or mashed potatoes in the pot and slide it into a cozy for twenty to thirty minutes. What's the smallest pot out there that I can use comfortably? Looks like short and wide is the way to go for fuel efficiency. I've been looking at the evernew .9 mug/pot at 3.5 ounces.

You're looking at buying something 0.1 litres smaller and .6 ounces lighter? Doesn't seem too worthwhile
    If yours seems much too big... then you might want to drop more than 100ml off the size

I use 850ml and it's fine for my purposes

That's why I haven't bought it yet. I was hoping somewhere in the 750 range would work. Do you cook in your 850ml?

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    I typically do knor sides or mashed potatoes in the pot and slide it into a cozy for twenty to thirty minutes. What's the smallest pot out there that I can use comfortably? Looks like short and wide is the way to go for fuel efficiency. I've been looking at the evernew .9 mug/pot at 3.5 ounces.
    Sounds like you're doing a hybrid of freezer bag cooking but first using the actual pot. If you eliminate putting the food in the pot first, and do a traditional freezer bag cook method, you can drop more ounces by changing to a Toaks 550 (2.6oz).

That's why I haven't bought it yet. I was hoping somewhere in the 750 range would work. Do you cook in your 850ml?

750 is really tight to cook in. I use the smaller Evernew pasta pot and it's really tough but I mostly do boil in the bag.

I personally like a 900-1000 cc pot for my cooking, so that I have enough water heated for both a hot drink and hot food in one "burn". Some people like a 750 cc and some even thrive with a 550 cc pot. Use your large pot to heat these type of volumes and see if you think they are big enough for you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm currently using the evernew pasta pot (largest one) that weighs 4.1 ounces. It's just too big for solo backpacking. I typically do knor sides or mashed potatoes in the pot and slide it into a cozy for twenty to thirty minutes. What's the smallest pot out there that I can use comfortably? Looks like short and wide is the way to go for fuel efficiency. I've been looking at the evernew .9 mug/pot at 3.5 ounces.
    4.1 ounces is a lot of pot to be carrying on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    4.1 ounces is a lot of pot to be carrying on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not that much. I carry a 1400ml snowpeak. It weighs 6.7 ounces with the lid, but its for two people.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry it went over your head. Most places will leave you alone if you're carrying less than an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Its not that much. I carry a 1400ml snowpeak. It weighs 6.7 ounces with the lid, but its for two people.

Default Pot choice

24oz tall boy can.

Images

We used an 800ml mug on our last long hike, and it wasn't quite big enough for a Knorr side and a bag of chicken -- I had to be really careful that it didn't boil over or spill while stirring. We replaced it with a shorter 1 liter mug and that's perfect.

I also have a 700mm Snow Peak for solo use - same problem with Knorr meals, but mostly I just boil water to pour in a homemade freezer bag meal.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use the MSR Titan kettle, 0.9 liter, and that's about as small as I can use and still be practical. If I'm actually cooking a meal in the pot (as opposed to boiling water to add to something), it's full.

As for the other pot - sensimilla

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Sorry it went over your head. Most places will leave you alone if you're carrying less than an ounce.
    Doh! Its legal here

sensimilla
    Shouldn't a weed smoker be able to spell that correctly? Just sayin'...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

"...your buds are getting so big, I have to get you a training bra." - T.C.

Sorry, just popped into my head...no control sometimes.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

looked it up on Wikipedia, so it HAS to be right ;-)

Toaks Ultralight 900ml, 130mm diameter. Traildesigns says "This is the LIGHTEST 900ml pot you can buy!" -- https://www.traildesigns.com/cookwar...t-titanium-pot

Uh, maybe look again, lol.

Small pot I use my usgi canteen cup sure a little tight but doubles as a bowl to eat/drink from. And yes itll hold a side packet and a tuna pouch
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

IMUSA, cheap aluminum mug that are not flimsy and cost a fraction of the titanium. Weights with handles sawed off:

.75 qt = 2.4 oz
    1.25 qt = 3.05 oz

I have never bought into the titanium hype except for tent stakes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++