WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pot choice

40 posts and nobody has mentioned Willie's Pot.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Willie's?

Maybe a link? I did a quick site search and google and could not find it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Pot choice

Willie Nelson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Greenlight; 06-05-2017 at 07:19.

Look for Willie's Weed. I was in Colorado last September and a review in a small town newspaper caught my eye.
    I found the links in one try. I'm not posting links in courtesy to our host.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Duh. Obviously I didn't get the joke.

Never a pot smoker so I must plead ignorance, although Willie's adventures with weed are well known.

Why do potheads jump up and down cheering and broadcasting their love for weed? I mean, jeeze; I love cheese but I don't run around preaching the gospel of aged cheddar to anybody who will,stand still long enough. Not hating just saying.

Chill y'all. I'm in the not now not ever group. I thought the connection was obvious.
    That said, I do have some on topic news.
    Que the drum roll please.
    I bought a new old stock JetBoil SOL at Gander Mountain today. The boiling container is 800 ml. In the same ballpark as most have recommended here. I plan to use it in place of my SVEA 123 and Optimus 1 liter solo cook set.
    Dry weight savings: 11 ounces.
    Wayne

Get an alcohol setup and save yourself another 11 ounces LOL!

Hey, I'm luvvin' my JBs for winter but any other time I'm using something else. For 3-season, if you just gotta go canister at least get some sort of light topper canister stove... for example a BRS-3000T and a Titan kettle.

All my humble opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Get an alcohol setup and save yourself another 11 ounces LOL!

Hey, I'm luvvin' my JBs for winter but any other time I'm using something else. For 3-season, if you just gotta go canister at least get some sort of light topper canister stove... for example a BRS-3000T and a Titan kettle.

All my humble opinion, of course.
    hay nice Summer kit . What's your water purification if any ??

thom

Hi Thom:

I am using the liquid Aqua Mira pre-mix method. I carry 2 10ml bottles with A and B parts and do a daily 3ml pre-mix. So for me this sub 1oz setup is good for about a week of water purification. Been using this for a few years with no problems... I have tried gravity filter, Sawyer and Steripen but always end up back with the liquid AM, and I also carry a few of the chlorine dioxide tabs just in case.

Aquamira system weight_lorez.jpg

I was on the AT section hike this year and got very sick . Wonder if I would have bin better off with Aqua Mira then a Squeeze ? Or bleach with filter. The Aqua Mira kills viruses I think.

Thom

Journal Entries
    Images

I have not researched this, but assume you may have... How does long does the pre-mix last? The drops say to wait xx min after mixing....but are silent on how long it can be in that state. That would save me a few minutes on my fill-ups each time.
    Hi Thom:

I am using the liquid Aqua Mira pre-mix method. I carry 2 10ml bottles with A and B parts and do a daily 3ml pre-mix. So for me this sub 1oz setup is good for about a week of water purification. Been using this for a few years with no problems... I have tried gravity filter, Sawyer and Steripen but always end up back with the liquid AM, and I also carry a few of the chlorine dioxide tabs just in case.

Aquamira system weight_lorez.jpg
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Thom: I don't know, and these huge debates about "best" water treatments have raged before... I think sometimes we can get sick no matter what we do, and unless there is actual lab testing involved we won't even know what made us sick and even if the pathogen is identified it is highly unlikely the source can be positively identified. Maybe if I get sick I'll change my mind, but I've consumed some pretty manky AM-treated water a few times and haven't been sick yet, knock wood.

Kaptainkriz: Everything I've read says the mix is effective as long as the color remains a strong, bright yellow. In my experience, in a sealed bottle this span of time is at least 48 hours. I once mixed a full 3ml bottle and left it on my desk at home and it remained yellow for a few days. However, on the trail I nearly always use up the 3ml mix in one day, in about a 12-14 hour time frame. A few times I have used it the following morning.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-06-2017 at 19:59.

Thom: I don't know, and these huge debates about "best" water treatments have raged before... I think sometimes we can get sick no matter what we do, and unless there is actual lab testing involved we won't even know what made us sick and even if the pathogen is identified it is highly unlikely the source can be positively identified. Maybe if I get sick I'll change my mind, but I've consumed some pretty manky AM-treated water a few times and haven't been sick yet, knock wood.

Kaptainkriz: Everything I've read says the mix is effective as long as the color remains a strong, bright yellow. In my experience, in a sealed bottle this span of time is at least 48 hours. I once mixed a full 3ml bottle and left it on my desk at home and it remained yellow for a few days. However, on the trail I nearly always use up the 3ml mix in one day, in about a 12-14 hour time frame. A few times I have used it the following morning.

I thought the Aqua Mira would kill Norrovirus. But your are right might not have bin the water , may have poisoned my self. I'm going to try the Aqua Mira . I'm weak minded so the placebo effect will work on me. ;0) .

thom

Well, we could always boil it in our 550ml pots (back on topic, lol!!), although that is huge waste of time and fuel.

re placebo... that's the thing about the "I use this and I've never been sick" claim, no matter who makes it... how do you know you wouldn't have been sick with zero treatment? Or that you have some natural resistance or higher contamination threshold that others might not have?

I did the Black Forest Trail in PA in early April with some friends and did not treat my water at all. No problem. But that means nothing, really—maybe I just got lucky.

Yes on topic !! Boil in a olicamp space saver or just drink beer.

thom

Images

I just read recently that water below beaver dams for sure must be treated before drinking. Drink from a Toaks Light 700 pot ;-)

Well, we could always boil it in our 550ml pots (back on topic, lol!!), although that is huge waste of time and fuel.

re placebo... that's the thing about the "I use this and I've never been sick" claim, no matter who makes it... how do you know you wouldn't have been sick with zero treatment? Or that you have some natural resistance or higher contamination threshold that others might not have?

I did the Black Forest Trail in PA in early April with some friends and did not treat my water at all. No problem. But that means nothing, really—maybe I just got lucky.
    I'll leave my sawyer at home next month and report back. With a sample size of two, noone can debate the results.

Then again, it's been years since my last run on antibiotics and I drink kombucha daily, along with dry cured salami about weekly and walk barefoot in the yard every chance I get.

And my pot choice is some 1.1L deal I picked up at REI, it fits my homebrew alkey stove, silicone scraper and windscreen all under 8 oz. Does what it is supposed to, boil water for FB meals, nothing more. Someday I'll get more sophisticated, but for now variations of ramen, cous cous, and instant oatmeal are good enough sustenance.

Lighten up Francis.

It's a joke you don't understand.

Images

Toaks Light 700 double boiler :-)

DSCF3679.JPG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++