WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pot choice

Images

Toaks Ultralight 900ml, 130mm diameter.

NOW you tell me....

I find 900ml the best size for one person. Just enough room to do some actual cooking in as apposed to solely boiling water in it.
    I tried titanium for a while, but just kept burning everything unless I was stirring every second it was on the stove. Went back to aluminum. Been using Olicamp pot. It's 900ml, anodized aluminum, measuring marks, flat bottom, long folding handle. The only thing I didn't like was the lid, but my titanium lid from fourdogstoves for my snow peak 900 fits perfectly. Weighs 6.2oz with ti lid.

On order...should come end of month...

I also like to boil food and water in the pot and then put in a pot cozy, then eat out of the pot. For this application, I like the pots that about equal height and diameter (neither short and wide nor tall and skinny). I've been using the Olicamp XTS. The anodized Al is easy to clean. The handles are near the top so they don't get hot. The heat exchanger gives fast boils with little fuel usage. But it is heavy. I've been thinking about that Evernew UL 900 mL mug pot. It is significantly lighter and just a little smaller (900 vs 1000 mL). And it is one of the few UL pots that has the same height to width ratio I like. But I give up the easy to clean anodized surface and heat exchanger. I also worry the handles will get hot. Not sure if it worth saving a few oz or not.

I use the snow peak soloist pot. It is a .82 liter pot with an accompanying cup and lid weighing in at 5.5 oz. The cup is also useful to measure your water and to gather water from shallow puddles when it is dry. It isn't short and fat, but I haven't had much of an issue if you use a canister stove. I did find the efficiency a little less with an alcohol stove just because the burner bloom was a little wider.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I have lately used an olicamp http://www.olicamp.com/products-cups...pace-saver-mug

cheep , size works for me , easer to cook in then ti, weight is ok has graduated markings stamped on , it easy to clean . Four dogs makes a lid which I'm to cheep to buy. I had a lid that fit . I put silicone tubing on the handle. Less likely to burn myself .

Thom

Journal Entries
    Images

A good Sativa/Indica blend always worked for me.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

evernew 900ml does everything

Quote Originally Posted by gotts63 View Post
    evernew 900ml does everything
    You're sure about that? How about pancakes? They're my big motivator when my body feels creaky and I'm not enthused about hitting the trail.

Images

Like Granny said, "Going to smoke some crawdads, but first I need a little pot"
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    You're sure about that? How about pancakes? They're my big motivator when my body feels creaky and I'm not enthused about hitting the trail.
    Interesting how different people have different needs and solutions.

Which illustrates a lot.

When car camping with friends for the weekend, I carry cast iron and a couple camp stoves. Backpacking a Jetboy and the large pot for my wife and I.

It never occurred to me to try making pancakes when backpacking, we do it all the time car camping.

My Evernew 750 weighs 3.2 ounces with the lid. Apparently the light colored one weighs less than the dark colored one.

I liked the capacity for freezer bag cooking. Enough for the meal, and a drink of hot cider... or the meal and enough hot water to disinfect my spoon, or wet a bandana and wash myself, or whatever. There's always a use for an extra cup of hot water.

The number of pots and alcohol stoves I have tried over the years would be embarrassing to list.Some too big.Some too small.The one I have settled on is the Imusa 12cm aluminum with a Fancee Feast with simmer ring and a Starlyte with stand for those times that I might want to have a stove that can't spill.Depending on what I have to eat it gives me the option of cooking in the pot or freezer bag cooking or cooking on fire.A bit easier to clean than titanium too.And it holds my coffee mug too with lighter and stoves.

For solo, I've been working my way down and have recently settled on a Toaks 550 Light with a Starlyte (with pot support), Ti foil windscreen, MSR folding spoon, inCycle cup (4.5g), and matchbook which weigh 3.7 oz with CF stuff sack. 2.7 oz (volume) alky per day works for me.

toaks 550.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Zelph did a version of this that I've pretty much settled on. Big enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For solo, I've been working my way down and have recently settled on a Toaks 550 Light with a Starlyte (with pot support), Ti foil windscreen, MSR folding spoon, inCycle cup (4.5g), and matchbook which weigh 3.7 oz with CF stuff sack. 2.7 oz (volume) alky per day works for me.

toaks 550.jpg
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Hi, Kriz:

Seems that this is a popular size because we can boil 2 cups with a little headroom in the pot. I typically analyze everything to the Nth degree and perhaps it was inevitable that I would keep revising downward until I reached this point.

But I have done a few 1-, 2- and 3-night trips with the setup and am completely happy.

Not that the Titan and the Fancee Feest were some sort of grossly outsized kit, but I considered the way I use the system and reasoned that with a slight modification in the way I go about things I could cut a few ounces and pack volume with no loss of convenience.

I figured that the Ti foil (.003") windscreen and the Starlyte were a bit lighter than the cone setup and just as efficient, which some testing proved true.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-04-2017 at 19:30.

Journal Entries
    Images

I ended up switching to a carbon fiber lid too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Hi, Kriz:Seems that this is a popular size because we can boil 2 cups with a little headroom in the pot. I typically analyze everything to the Nth degree and perhaps it was inevitable that I would keep revising downward until I reached this point.But I have done a few 1-, 2- and 3-night trips with the setup and am completely happy.Not that the Titan and the Fancee Feest were some sort of grossly outsized kit, but I considered the way I use the system and reasoned that with a slight modification in the way I go about things I could cut a few ounces and pack volume with no loss of convenience.I figured that the Ti foil (.003") windscreen and the Starlyte were a bit lighter than the cone setup and just as efficient, which some testing proved true.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Pot choice

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    That's why I haven't bought it yet. I was hoping somewhere in the 750 range would work. Do you cook in your 850ml?
    I have the Evernew 900 ml pot with frying pan lid, over a Caldara cone with the fissure insert, so I can cook with alcohol, tablets, or biomass. When I section hiked the AT in Virginia a couple of weeks ago I made a lot of soups in the evening but also used it for boiling water. Very efficient, and very versatile. I think I'll be using the set up for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++