WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Wheel gun or semi auto

What is your carry gun of choice when you're hiking? I like my Glock 43. Light, reliable, 9mm.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I don't carry a gun. Too heavy. If I did I'd carry something that had a mag with a lot of rounds in it. I'm nearsighted.

Sig P938, small 9 only on day hikes.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I don't carry on trail. But if I did it would be a Glock 43 or a Khar CW380 (stainless).
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

If I would have the need, I would have to go UL and leave the Garand at home, and just take the M4

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    If I would have the need, I would have to go UL and leave the Garand at home, and just take the M4
    A Garand is still lighter than that last cheesecake you hauled in. Take it, if you want to save weight then only bring one bandolier.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Garand? Those biscuits in a can?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Biscuits? Nah, it was a kitchen tool used for making sour Krauts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    A Garand is still lighter than that last cheesecake you hauled in. Take it, if you want to save weight then only bring one bandolier.

............seriously, next summer we are going into The Bob Marshall Wilderness for a week (deep griz country), we are going to each bring a can, which will be the first time every in many trips of walking and fishing. The one guy who is going out to Big Sky for the first time, all he can think about is how is he going to get his cannon out there.

Journal Entries

Any gun that weight 0 oz or less is good to go with me. Really, trails are safer than life.

Why the need for a sidearm on the AT?

If you are hunting humans, I suppose a 9mm will get it done inside of 25 yards.

If you are hunting eastern black bear, you are going to need a bigger gun. Unless you hit one in the eye, that bear is going to not be deterred by a 90 grain .380. Hell, most 250 pound humans are going to need excellent shot placement to be deterred by a .380. Simply not enough energy. Remember that energy=weight x speed. For black bear or wild boar, nothing less than a 10mm/.41magnum is going to be adequate to save your bacon. Everyone that I know that carries for bear protection carries a 12 gauge shotgun with Brenneke penetrator slugs. Including the NPS. That's their issue bear gun. Not the M4 or .40SW sidearm. The .40SW is simply a 10mm light and does not have sufficient energy. If I had to only carry a sidearm in bear country, it would be no less than a .44 magnum. Probably a 2.5 inch barrel and Buffalo Bore ammunition. I'd stick with a revolver for reliability in all weather conditions. I am a Glock fan and would consider the Model 20 10mm, but not for winter use and not in grizzly country. Nothing less that a .44 magnum in grizzly country. You are talking about having to drop a charging 350 pound killing machine with one shot...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Biscuits? Nah, it was a kitchen tool used for making sour Krauts.
    Dude that's the funniest crap I heard in some time
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

If you are hunting eastern black bear, you are going to need a bigger gun. Unless you hit one in the eye, that bear is going to not be deterred by a 90 grain .380. Hell, most 250 pound humans are going to need excellent shot placement to be deterred by a .380. Simply not enough energy. Remember that energy=weight x speed. For black bear or wild boar, nothing less than a 10mm/.41magnum is going to be adequate to save your bacon. Everyone that I know that carries for bear protection carries a 12 gauge shotgun with Brenneke penetrator slugs. Including the NPS. That's their issue bear gun. Not the M4 or .40SW sidearm. The .40SW is simply a 10mm light and does not have sufficient energy. If I had to only carry a sidearm in bear country, it would be no less than a .44 magnum. Probably a 2.5 inch barrel and Buffalo Bore ammunition. I'd stick with a revolver for reliability in all weather conditions. I am a Glock fan and would consider the Model 20 10mm, but not for winter use and not in grizzly country. Nothing less that a .44 magnum in grizzly country. You are talking about having to drop a charging 350 pound killing machine with one shot...
    I didn't mention bears. Anyone who'd shoot a griz with a pistol is desperate or a fool. I've hiked a lot of Alaska.

I'd take a .22 rifle, preferable a collapsible or foldable one. Might actually find a use of it.

As for Griz, well, anything short of a .44 mag is pretty much pointless and asking for trouble. Bear spray weighs less, is less dangerous to the user and other people, and has been shown to be significantly more effective than a gun for bear protection. Hmmm.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

What is your carry gun of choice when you're hiking? I like my Glock 43. Light, reliable, 9mm.
    Although I am a gun owner I cannot imagine hiking with one.
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-01-2016 at 03:11. Reason: Thread is in SF.

I didn't mention bears. Anyone who'd shoot a griz with a pistol is desperate or a fool. I've hiked a lot of Alaska.
    I mentioned if I only had a sidearm to carry....

A .44 magnum or bigger(.454Casull, 450SW, 500SW) is going to eventually kill a grizz. Whether it stops the grizz before he kills you is the $64K question. I doubt there is enough energy from any pistol round to drop a grizz in its tracks, like a 12 gauge or 45-70 would, but it might save your life. Better than bear spray. Better than nothing...just sayin...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

For the record one of my hiking buddies knows from experience that two guys, each with a Glock 22 can drop a large, charging wild hog. He said that next time he's bringing his SKS.

Buffalo Bore .380 +P hardened lead loads are supposedly close to 9mm territory when it comes to terminal energy.

Liberty Ammunition "Civil Defense" rounds nearly qualify as UL (60 grain .40S&W) and is what one of my hiking buddies carries.

Neither is a dangerous game round by any stretch of the imagination, but they both seem to be viable options for hikers who are inclined to carry.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 11-30-2016 at 23:59.

XD(M) 9sc. (Hill People make some great chest rigs - no affiliation.)

If firing a .44, would prefer 6" barrel for extra energy transfer. You're gonna need it if grizzly is the target, I believe.

Udap and a mini throw down to get back out
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/udap-bea...FUZXDQodQasFoQ

As someone who makes their living in the firearms industry, I am a firearms enthusiast. I however, do not carry while hiking. I'm one of those people that do carry concealed everday in what I consider the "real world". When I hit the trail, I feel like I'm leaving that world and have never felt I'd feel safer or more prepared with a firearm. This is of course where I mainly hike. I don't feel the need for a firearm for animals where I hike, and honestly, I've never met or experienced anything near a threatening person on the trail where I hike.

I guess Im playing my chances. But being vigilant and keeping a good head on your shoulders on the trail goes a long way in keeping oneself safe. In civilization, you can't predict when someone's going to hold up the convenience store you get your coffee at every morning.

I'll change my tune when someone tries to mug me at a shelter.

If only my M1 Garand didn't weigh more than my baseweight.... I prefer 9mm or .38spcl for two legged city varmint. In the woods while hunting I prefer my .44mag redhawk and .243win rifle. I'm working with a 10mm right now as well.

In conclusion, and it saddens me to say this, I enjoy hiking because it's one activity that gets me in a mindset where I still feel prepared without my sidearm. In the rest of my ordinary life, I carry to be prepared.

The discussion of firearms on this AT Forum is typically a topic that turns into a bad mess, so it's kind of unwelcome. Like talking politics at the bar. No worries, but if it turns into a nasty debate, this thread will be closed very soon.

Now to answer your question, If I were to carry while hiking and my main concern was threatening people. I would probably pack a revolver in a lighter caliber. 38special, 9mm, or even 22 magnum. My preference would be a stainless air weight revolver for dependability, ruggedness, and weather/dirt/grime resistance. Night sights would be a must due to low light environment. I may or may not carrying a speed strip for a spare reload.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++