WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default new injury - pack belt

I hiked the AT and much of the PCT and will hike more. on long day hikes or multiday hikes I wear some kind of pack with a belt. In the last day or so I noticed pain in my front right thigh. I recognized it as nerve pain. googled that and found it could be caused by tight waist belt. Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    I hiked the AT and much of the PCT and will hike more. on long day hikes or multiday hikes I wear some kind of pack with a belt. In the last day or so I noticed pain in my front right thigh. I recognized it as nerve pain. googled that and found it could be caused by tight waist belt. Dang.
    That happened to me. I switched to a different pack and it's gotten better. Still a little numb, but definite improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Many years ago I started a 10-day hike with my kids carrying almost all the food in an honest 80-pound pack. By the end of the first day, my right anterior thigh had gone numb. Like a dummy, I continued the hike and it took a few YEARS before I stopped getting periods of numbness.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Happened to me. Doc said it would resolve itself with time. Been ten years, still no feeling in my right thigh.

I did stop wearing a heavy tool belt at work, so maybe that helped keep it from getting worse?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If your thigh pain is on the outer front of your thigh, you have put pressure on the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve which supplies sensation to the surface of your outer thigh. This is called Meralgia Paraesthetica. It does not cause weakness weakness but only pain, numbness or tingling. You are right that the belt is the cause, but that is because it is riding too low. It should be above the pelvic bones you feel in the front of your hips and not below. The good news is that the symptoms almost always resolve if you correct the problem that caused it.

++ New Posts ++