Journal Entries
    Images

Default FT Class of 2017 !!!

Well it is about time for me to start my thru hike of the FT,
    Original plan was to hike it to the pinhoti trail and connect with the AT and nobo it in the spring,but due to the fires I am not sure the AT will be part of my plan this year
    I am however starting the FT on or around January 6th NOBO.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Got my maps and books. Trying to figure out the ride to the start, looking at coming into Miami and then finding fuel and a ride. Looking at the 9th I think, I want to go through the reservation during the week in case they are busy on the weekend. Permits getting mailed by Monday.

chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

Journal Entries
    Images

Chris are you on the facebook page.. florida trail class of 2017...
    Unofficial kick off is at campground starting the 5th and ending the 7th,there are shuttles avalible from ft myers I know of.
    Check out the FB page and you shouldnt have A problem.

Not a social media user so I can't view it. I can see the 2016 one but not the 2017 page. I hadn't been able to find any official kick off info so I figured it was not happening.
    I was hoping to not be in a "bubble" of people especially if camping areas are smaller. However, getting to the start is proving elusive (as the book says).
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

Journal Entries
    Images

Unfortunately I am riding down in A pick up with someone or I would scoop you up..
    I honestly do not think there is A bubble necessarily...
    Shoot me A private message and ill send you over my number and we can keep in touch if you like.
    I am sure if you can find it to Ft Myers area it wont be hard to find you A ride with trail angels incoming hikers etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

I actually just read up for ya and there seems to be A shuttle leaving from dolphin mall in miami at 4 pm on friday and saturday of the kickoff.

I found I could reactivate my old account from 2008 so I am trying that. It seems there may be (2) Florida Trail Class of 2017 groups, one is about 80% non hiking, maybe the closed one will work. Waiting on approval. Thanks for your help.
    Chris "Flash" Gordon

I would like to see your gear list . And are u using a phone app like Guthooks ? I still may get south this year.
    and good luck .

Thom

Journal Entries
    Images

I would like to see your gear list . And are u using a phone app like Guthooks ? I still may get south this year.
    and good luck .

Thom
    Thom here is A rough list,I might add A serinty net tent in the next couple of days to this list and remove A few things from it(like small stuff from first aid and etc.)
    https://lighterpack.com/r/b74ysp

Journal Entries
    Images

Also I will be using the guide book ripped in half with the pother half being held with my other shoes.
    But aso might switch over to guthooks app just tpo shave that weight as well... although I am rather hard on phones so usually have A paper back up.

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    Thom here is A rough list,I might add A serinty net tent in the next couple of days to this list and remove A few things from it(like small stuff from first aid and etc.)
    https://lighterpack.com/r/b74ysp
    How do you like that pillow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice list . You like the hexamid better then the SMD Deschutes ?

Journal Entries
    Images

Very nice list . You like the hexamid better then the SMD Deschutes ?
    Thom
    I like the cuben material alot more than sil nylon,however Ii have grown very fond of my deshutes plus shelter and wish I could mod my hexamid the same as the deshutes with the perimeter netting.
    I do love the room in the hexamid solo plus as well as the deshutes ...
    Both are really great shelters and I am interested to see how .51 cuben holds up to A thru hike though.

Journal Entries
    Images

How do you like that pillow?
    SS
    The pillow held up surprisingly well on my SHT thru hike.
    Better than I expected it to honestly,and for the weight of it once I figured out the firmness for my comfortable level it was quite nice having something to rest my head on at the end of the day.
    Its simple but effective ...

I think my wife is getting me a hexamid tarp for Christmas. Hoping the SMD inner net tent from the Deschutes works with the Hexamid. How much more space does the hexamid take up in the pack compared to the Deschutes?

thom

Journal Entries
    Images

I think my wife is getting me a hexamid tarp for Christmas. Hoping the SMD inner net tent from the Deschutes works with the Hexamid. How much more space does the hexamid take up in the pack compared to the Deschutes?

thom
    Thom
    the serenity net tent fits well in the hexamid according to some reviews I have watched and read online,I just searched google for hexamid and serenity net tent.
    It is actually something I am considering for the FT.
    As far as space goes they are both about the same honestly. The deshutes is A bit longer but can be compressed down in the stuff sack it comes with .
    I fit my polycryo and tent stakes in the same bag,where in the hexamid it is A pretty tight fit in the stuff sack it comes with.
    Obviously the hexamid is considerably lighter than the deshutes ...
    Honestly I hope SMD comes out with the deshutes plus cuben version this year as they said they planned to...
    It will be the first thing I buy when they do..

the two shelters are about the same . Just hope it packs about the size as the Deschutes. The Deschutes Cuban was my first choice.

Journal Entries
    Images

The Deschutes Cuban was my first choice
    I love the deshutes and when they make A cuben deshutes plus version it will be ordered from me....

Journal Entries
    Images

Sitting in south florida waiting to start this thru hike. Another NST will hopefully be knocked off the list over the next two months.

++ New Posts ++