WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default For those ending SoBo in 2017 - Lordsburg or Columbus?

There was a lot of talk about which trail to take at the end of my hike - the Lordsburg route or the Columbus route. I started this thread to give me two cents on the subject as I couldn't find anything to really satisfy my curiosity.

I was at a time constraint at the end of my hike and decided to go the Columbus route, unlike many of my other fellow hikers (who were scattered a day or two behind or in front, the usual). I read that this route, plainly put, sucks. With that said, I have to say I enjoyed it. Here's why:

1. Deming, although small, was quaint and people were friendly. I met a guy in town who let me stay at his house for my layover night (as you can take a bus from Columbus to Deming and vice versa).
    2. There are still some beautiful spots to be seen, even though there is a lot of roadwalking. But by this time you'll be use to it.
    3. The most important: Southbounders headed to the Lordsburg terminus (with its cool obelisk) hit that spot and have to have a ride set up or face hiking back to the town. You see a fence, and your hike is over. Having a card passport, and heading the Columbus route, gives you the opportunity to walk into Mexico - which is exactly what I did. Palomas is the name of the border town, and after entering it I found a nice restaurant that served margaritas and by far the best burrito Ive ever had. This is such a treat for those who want that feeling NoBos get when walking into Canada. Even better, the bartender asked if I was a long distance hiker and proceeded to buy my meal and drinks (dunno how often he does this, but it happened and it was an amazing way to end with such special trail magic).
    4. You can catch a bus from Columbus OR Deming to El Paso, which is a pretty booming airport that can take you home. My plane ticket from El Paso back to Louisville, KY cost me a total of $250.

I just wanted to share my experience, and if you see the last tree in the desert on your left (probably a day before you finish), check inside the tree.

Great report! Thanks!
    Quick question: Does the bus go to the airport? Or into town and then you have to get to the airport by other means?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Garlic
    Images

There's a bus from Columbus now? Sure has changed since I was there in '05. Hitching was a breeze.

I especially enjoyed the Florida Mts, and the fire tower on Hillsborough Peak (the lookout had just made fresh cookies).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++