WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thanks. That's fine. I'm too far away to get all the news.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I'm too far away to get all the news.

well............there is this thing called the "internet" where you can find news sites...........like my stations www.wbir.com

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a pox on the planet?
    And Alexandria is nirvana?

I like Gatlinburg, it's cool and easy to get around. Pigeon Forge, not so much.

State drops charges against the teens responsible for the Gatlinburg fire.

http://www.wbir.com/news/crime/resol...ster/453308868

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    State drops charges against the teens responsible for the Gatlinburg fire.

http://www.wbir.com/news/crime/resol...ster/453308868
    Yea, I heard about that on the news on the way home tonight.

Back when the fires were occurring, there were reports by locals that the storm created additional fires. So I totally understand the idea that the state has decided they won't be able to prove the fire the boys started was the one that caused the deaths.

But I would be outraged if the boys totally get out of arson charges. I guess it would make sense that since the fires were set in a national park that the federal government has jurisdiction to bring arson charges. But the new report indicated that there currently wasn't any evidence the feds were going to pursue charges.

Journal Entries

Could it be possible that the juveniles and their parents get sued civilly? Seems to be happening more and more these days.
    Blackheart

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Could it be possible that the juveniles and their parents get sued civilly? Seems to be happening more and more these days.
    What would be the basis of the lawsuit?...
    I could only image a lawsuit base on loss of life or property. But just like the state, what evidence do you have that the boys' actions directly lead to your loss?
    From what I recall, the fire was limited to within the boundaries of GSMNP prior to the storm.
    Once the storm started, residence reported seeing things like trees hitting power lines starting more fires. So if there was more than one fire, and the winds were blowing embers all over the place, how do you trace your loss back to the Chimney Tops Fire?

Seems like the only ones with cause would be the Federal Government. Now THEY have cause, given that the fires resulted in damage to the trails around Chimney Tops that will require maintenance crews to repair before the trials can be opened again.

{P.S. All the trails around the Chimney Tops area are still closed to this day... pretty much Bullhead, Sugarlands Mountain, and everything in between.}

Images

The legal document is up on our website---wbir.com

in it---(and I can't copy and paste as I'm on phone)---

multipile points of orgin can't conclude which source proved to be fatal hence dropping the state charges..

as a result---it gets passed from state to Feds to determine if they want to pursue charges about arson in the national park......

sooooooo.......a lawsuit of damage to anything of any damage on state land---which got the most damage---cannot be pursued against the kids......if they get charged for arson on the federal level--they could be held responsible damage to park structures.......

key word is "if" they get charged.

The lawyer for at least one of the kids ( not sure if he is representing one or both)---is one of the top criminal lawyers in town........

(and forgive me---as I'm on vacation and not in the newsroom so I'm just going on the legal documents and work emails discussing what happened today)

Images

One thing to add---and this is just me figuring this out and not hearing what is going on---

there could be lawsuits of other sorts coming down the line....

most particually---and 911 will be prime evidence---are people who called the city and county and were told not to evecuate and all that...

some of those people followed what 911 was telling them and as a result---people got trapped....and bad things happened after that....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    ...But I would be outraged if the boys totally get out of arson charges. ....
    Me too! It's very clear that these boys are guilty of something. So charge them and hold them accountable for something.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Me too! It's very clear that these boys are guilty of something. So charge them and hold them accountable for something.
    If "something" were a charge, I suppose we would all be guilty of Something. Somewhere, sometime, EVERYBODY is guilty of something.

Ruining just a few more lives will make lots of people feel better but it honestly won't solve the problem. You can make a pretty good case that those kids will spend the rest of their lives promising themselves to never start another fire, even to scramble some eggs.

Journal Entries

I was just throwing it out for opinions, not suggesting someone file suit. But the level of proof is smaller in a civil suit (proof by a preponderance of the evidence), than that in a criminal trial (proof beyond a reasonable doubt).
    Blackheart

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    If "something" were a charge, I suppose we would all be guilty of Something. Somewhere, sometime, EVERYBODY is guilty of something.
    Yea, but the last time I illegally camped at a GSMNP campsite (I had a permit to camp at #15, but decided to keep hiking and I stayed at #16... in November) didn't result in the destruction and closures of miles of back-country trails.

As it is, I witness plenty of people violating park rules... rules designed to protect the park, in part because GSMNP doesn't have the resources to police all of the backcountry. In my mind, it would send the wrong message if these kids were allowed to create this much destruction to the park and not get held accountable.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Yea, but the last time I illegally camped at a GSMNP campsite (I had a permit to camp at #15, but decided to keep hiking and I stayed at #16... in November) didn't result in the destruction and closures of miles of back-country trails.

As it is, I witness plenty of people violating park rules... rules designed to protect the park, in part because GSMNP doesn't have the resources to police all of the backcountry. In my mind, it would send the wrong message if these kids were allowed to create this much destruction to the park and not get held accountable.
    ^^^ this. Very well said.
    Blackheart

Innocent until proven guilty. Accusation is not proof. How many lives have been ruined because of false allegations?
    If they did it and nothing elsr happens to them they will always have the stigma of the accusation.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty. Accusation is not proof. How many lives have been ruined because of false allegations?
    If they did it and nothing elsr happens to them they will always have the stigma of the accusation.
    They aren't "innocent". These were local boys who knew we were in an exceptional drought. They were seen dropping lit matches in the leaf litter beside the trail. They were photographed with smoke in the background. It is uncontested that they started a fire at Chimney Tops.

What is contested is whether the fire that they did start and the damage to the park that they did cause also directly caused the deaths of 14 truly "innocent" victims and destruction of 2400 buildings in Gatlinburg.

They aren't "innocent". These were local boys who knew we were in an exceptional drought. They were seen dropping lit matches in the leaf litter beside the trail. They were photographed with smoke in the background. It is uncontested that they started a fire at Chimney Tops.

What is contested is whether the fire that they did start and the damage to the park that they did cause also directly caused the deaths of 14 truly "innocent" victims and destruction of 2400 buildings in Gatlinburg.
    I wasn't aware these boys have been tried and found guilty yet. Until then Grace has a point, the standard of "innocent until proven guilty" is in play until that happens. Many people have been pilloried in public opinion only to find there were others involved. I share support of punishing those who are responsible, but until someone is proven to be responsible its only opinion.

I think I heard that the last three victims were found together. Strong possibility it's his family.
    Let's simmer down please. You have no idea who the news is talking about, so with all due respect, shut the hell up. This is someone's family we are wildly speculating about so until official confirmations have been made we should NOT be guessing who may have perished. rant over...

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Ruining just a few more lives will make lots of people feel better but it honestly won't solve the problem. You can make a pretty good case that those kids will spend the rest of their lives promising themselves to never start another fire, even to scramble some eggs.
    Not everyone is remorseful of their actions. Some people even convince themselves that their crime wasn't their fault. The victim's families deserve some accountability.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++