WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sovi View Post
    Consider adding a bag liner to add another 10 degree's of warmth..much lighter than an extra sleeping pad
    My sleep system has progressed since I first posted. I'm going with an insulated inflatable (Klymit Insulated Static V Lite) so no need for a second pad to boost R-value. I've also got both inner (Cocoon Ripstop Silk) and outer (Survive Outdoors Longer Escape Bivvy) sleeping bag liners, so I can adjust layers as needed to suit the temperature.

Images

UPDATE: I will be stepping off Springer Feb 14th. I will be going solo. Gucci Girl decided to stay home and fund this hike for me. Register on the ATC site. # 364

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    UPDATE: I will be stepping off Springer Feb 14th. I will be going solo. Gucci Girl decided to stay home and fund this hike for me. Register on the ATC site. # 364
    busing into gainesville Ga on the 11th and hoofing it to springer... perhaps we can start off together. Either way, see ya on the trail.

I will be back in 2018 to finish the trail. Fell at Sams Gap, and dislocated my right hip (not the original). Get to Erwin on the 4th Apr and will shuttle to Sams Gap on the 6th. If time permits I'm going to come back here and head south after summiting so I do the whole trail in one go. If not I'll settle for being a LASHer.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Ian and leslie hurst (Springbok and Dandelion) will be starting 4 April NOBO We live in STELLENBOSCH South Africa. The trail has caugh our imagination and after completing two large section hikes (Springer to harpers ferry and Delaware water gap to Monson) we now want to do the thru hike - proper. We have just fallen in love with the trail and the people we have met there.
    Of of course we are looking forward to meeting more people and renewing some friendships with others.
    The z pack tents and sleeping bags are driving next week, osprey back packs are bought. The rest of our gear will the same as we used on our section hikes.
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

Was getting set for it last year but troubles got in the way. At the moment i've planned on late March

I'm starting a section hike from Springer on March, 31st 2018. Trying to go as far as I can in a weeks time.

My plane lands in Atlanta at 15:55 on a Wednesday. The perfect time to use my headlight and compass and find my way to Amicalola Falls Lodge. I should get there in time for breakfast

My son is giving significant thought to a mid-late February start. He's finishing his Master's dissertation at the moment and will have plenty of time to finish planning and save some money after this Saturday. The early start is to allow for the ~Labor Day start of law school in the fall.

With decent weather we're assuming the shorter days will encourage adherence to the "slow start" philosophy through the first couple of weeks and will contribute more to success than a little chilly hiking might detract. A key will be getting sleep systems and layering dialed-in over the weeks prior to departure.

If it can be managed I'll probably join him from Springer to NOC. With any luck I'll also join him somewhere in the middle for a couple of weeks, and in a perfect world I'll meet him in Maine to close things out.

Being able to make some tweaks at NOC before we part company also holds great potential for increased success through the colder weather.

My friend in Kentucky tells me that her mother predicts a very cold winter in 2018 based on bird activity heading south. Only time will tell if she's clairvoyant or senile.

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't discount the weatherwise elders, they're not always accurate, but enough so to pay attention. Cant vouch for her track record though, i don't know her
    My evolving gear list, some links provided
    https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=44571

To each their own, get all the advice you can, then figure out your own path.

Two things.

On 28th March 2018 (Wednesday) around 16H00 I'm taking a shuttle from Atlanta Airport to Amicalola Falls Lodge and should get there at about 19h30 after making a pit stop along the way for cigarettes and stuff. If anyone needs a lift at this awkward hour, please give me a whistle. Once there I have a choice of a single or double cabin far from the madding crowds. If you're a hot blond, or want to share costs, this special offer won't be repeated again. However if you snore, play a ukulele, or are incredibly boring, please ignore this opportunity of a lifetime. About $170 should seal your fate.

I forgot to mention I'll be arriving at Atlanta via Doha Airport. (If you don't know where Doha is, join the club.) The point being I shall be incredibly grumpy and anti-social. So... If I'm involved in a knife fight with airport personnel, you need to be understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I forgot to mention I'll be arriving at Atlanta via Doha Airport. (If you don't know where Doha is, join the club.) The point being I shall be incredibly grumpy and anti-social. So... If I'm involved in a knife fight with airport personnel, you need to be understanding.
    Haven’t had the pleasure of Doha. Abu Dhabi, Luanda and Atarau are in my passport.
    All the best!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I'm sure you'll be the very picture of conviviality after 15:30 locked in a metal tube!

It would take me the first two weeks on the trail just to unwind from that flight. You deserve many miles of dry, temperate hiking for that much effort.

Good grief! I just checked! I'll be flying for 20 hours, driving for 4, and waiting around for another 3. Rather painful... and will play havoc with my smoking habit as I rapidly transfer my summer mindset into a winter one! This will only be possible if America doesn't invade Doha on some pretext and delay my arrival.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just stay off of Trumps twitter page and you should be alright.
    My evolving gear list, some links provided
    https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=44571

To each their own, get all the advice you can, then figure out your own path.

I managed to change it to Delta Airlines, and arrive directly, and much, much earlier. In some ways I'm disappointed at there was a special on couscous in Doha. My return flight might be with United Airlines. To avoid any aggressive confrontation I booked a space in the luggage compartment and will be wearing a maternity dress.

Yep, son and I are planning a thru hike starting last week in march......was planning to do it myself n he decided he wants to go along......hey that helps splitting the weight.

I doubt you'll be completely alone with all of us new friends keeping you company! My tentative start date is 4/11/18, if I'm up to 10 mile days by then. My family is more worried about me being "alone" than I am, so I thought I'd see who else I can team up with, at least to start.

Mareekie

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++