WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

:banana Any 2018 NOBO hikers?

Hey! I am planning for my 2018 NOBO thru-hike and would love to find out who else will be on the trail! I'm really not hiking for the social aspect of it but I think it could be fun to see who will be out there in case we run into each other. I don't drink, I don't party, I don't like large groups and I'm bringing my dog so I won't be much fun lol. I'm planning for 2018 because of money, plain and simple. If I had the cash now I would be leaving in 2017! Can't wait to get out there!

I'm hoping so; lots of ifs, ands, and buts, but it's on my radar!

I was planning on 2017 but money said no so 2018 here as well. Totally not a drinker party or large crowd person myself and if I had a dog it'd be with me. What start date are you aiming for?
    I got tired of listening to them tell me how to live. I am my own person and this is my journey.

Journal Entries
    Images

My plan as of now is a mid April start but I gotta wait on my dog Party to pass on before I can go she is 12 now but still kicking it strong so idk time will tell.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

I am going back in 2018 first of March to mid March start date is what I am aiming for. I made an attempt this year and made it just over 100 miles. I was too fat. I know people bigger than me have made a thru-hike but for me I felt the need to go home and get in better shape to try again in a year or 2. (Already down 60 pounds and feeling like I am a lot more in shape for a thru-hike. Do nut underestimate GA. It will chew you up and spit you out. I know it did me.

Retiring March 9, 2018, planning to start @ Springer Mtn mid-March 2018.

Hopefully I'll be out there.

Had hip replacement surg this spring, and that's my determining factor. Need to get a bit back in shape, and will do some short 1-week maybe 2-3 week trial runs in 2017 to see how it goes.

I rarely if ever drink, don't party because I don't really like crowds, and am a bit of a loner so in reality I'm probably pretty boring.

Hey ya'll,
    Planning to be at Springer Mountain mid March, 2018. Just retiring from the USPS as a lettercarrier. It's time for someone else to carry the bills. Take care and see you then.

Carry on, Sirch

I'm doing a late February start. I need nature after a rough few years.
    -h

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I plan on starting at Springer beginning to mid January 2018. Depending on the weather here in Georgia. Anyone from Georgia knows how bipolar the weather can be!
    Nav
    (Short for Navigator)

I plan on 2018 doing a flip-flop in April so I don't have to deal with the crowds.

Journal Entries
    Images

Where are you flipping from? I am thinking about doing a flip from just north of the smokies nobo then flipping Sobo to finish. I have yet to determine what I'll do though just tossing some thoughts around in my head.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

I am planning to start at Springer sometime mid March 2018. I have had some major health issues, which is why 2017 is out, and I also need to save up the funds as well, but as long as my health holds up I will be using 2017 to hike the Foothills Trail again, Art Loeb Trail, Linville Gorge and several more to get in shape for 2018.

I wouldn't say I am anti-social, but I don't like crowds, I do not drink and I definitely don't party!! Boring, perhaps, but that is the way I am.

JimC

I'm leaving in early March '18, probably between the seventh and tenth.

Yes! Finishing grad school in August, working until beginning of 2018 & then quitting and hoping to start March 1st of 2018! Excited, but nervous-- will be going by myself!

"Planning" is a strong word at this point, but I have a 2018 thru-hike in mind. I was seriously considering it for last year, but ended up with a cool job offer overseas, so instead I section-hiked about 200 miles over the summer before moving to Morocco.

My contract here finishes in August, so 2017 is out. So I'm thinking I'll move back to the States this fall, work and save and train through the winter, and then ideally start NOBO on April 16th of 2018. Maybe late April to avoid the peak season earlier in the month, but the idea of starting on my birthday really appeals to me.

That's my current projection anyway, but granted, that's 14 months from now. If you'd asked me 14 months ago about my plans for 2017, I certainly would not have anticipated living in North Africa, so I guess you never know!

Will be starting sometime in April depending on visa and flights etc. I have no sense of direction which makes the possibility that I get lost and spend 6 months wandering around Georgia fairly strong. I'm pretty social. The exception being hanging around anyone chewing tobacco and playing a banjo or ukulele. I've had American beer before so I can understand why many avoid drinking. However, I'm looking forward to sampling some moonshine and Southern sweet tea. At the moment I'm looking for someone to hike with me and carry my backpack. Cooking is another option. I'm not a fussy eater but enjoy a good fondue and occasionally a seafood gumbo with a hint of baked Alaska as desert. Would love to join in a few parties and perhaps spend a night in jail, because let's face, looking at trees and more trees is no fun.

This is awesome! There will only be 17 of us on the trail

I hope to join the (not too large, I hope) crowd the first week in March. Right now I'm pondering if a 30 degree bag will be enough if I add a second sleeping pad made of Reflectix (which can go in a hiker box when no longer needed). Kind of hard to forecast the weather 50 weeks out.

Images

I plan on hitting the approach trail April 1, 2018. Wish I could adjust the time to avoid the mass craziness but can't, so it is what it is. I'm considering a flip-flop but that doesn't appeal much to me either. My previous thru hikes have been NOBO. Just keep telling myself that any day on the trail is better than a day not on the trail.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++