WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I was hoping to do an Alska to Patagonia bike tour next year, but may come up a little short on funds. If that doesn't work out, I'll be thru-hiking the AT NOBO instead. Adventure junkie needs a fix.

I attempted a thru Mar. 2017 but only got about 50 miles when I had to get off trail and was hospitalized for a week. Doin' better now so plan is to start all over mid Mar. 2018. I will be retracing my previous 50 miles. Trail name 2017 was Lung Cookie.....don't ask.

I'm planning on trying it again also. My 2018 start date will be in May. Trail name Breathing Green.

Quote Originally Posted by heathermarie View Post
    I'm doing a late February start. I need nature after a rough few years.
    -h

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Amen to that! I'm hitting the trail 2/26!

Images

Hoping for Mid to the end of March to begin. I will be with my husband. We don't party. Right now it depends if I can get the cracked vertebrae to heal in my upper back from being hit by a car. If it is not quite right hubby will be my B.O.B. So we will be slow walkers.

Journal Entries

Yes, I have decided to retire in January 2018 and realize my dream of thru-hiking the AT. Have already section hiked Harpers Ferry to Bennington over the years. I am deep in the planning stage and in the process of upgrading my 10-15 year old gear. Tentatively planning an early to mid April Start. Like you, I don't drink or party or care for large crowds. Keep in touch Blackdog. BTW, is it a black lab?

Journal Entries

Where do you do your hiking? I usually head to Harriman or the Catskills

I am planning a NOBO thru in 2018. Not set on a date yet, but likely around the March 1st time frame so I can hopefully finish by mid-July. Still trying to find a hiking partner though, as I'm ok hiking alone but promised my wife I wouldn't. :-)
    "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost;
    the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Default 2018 NOBO Mid Feb start

Yes. I want to start middle Feb. I have a
    plan to minimize the tick season
    lets stay in touch. [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNeiman! View Post
    Not set on a date yet, but likely around the March 1st time frame so I can hopefully finish by mid-July. Still trying to find a hiking partner though, as I'm ok hiking alone but promised my wife I wouldn't. :-)
    You won't be hiking alone even if you want to. There are quite a few of us who aren't averse to starting in late winter. Also remember that the group here at WB is just the tip of the AT iceberg. Pretty much any NoBo start is going to be a crowded affair.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    You won't be hiking alone even if you want to.
    Oh yes, should have clarified. I'm looking forward to all the people I'll meet on the trail and hike with! This is for a permanent thru-hiking partner day in and day out ... more for her peace of mind than mine, but I won't argue if it makes the trip more comforting for loved ones.
    "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost;
    the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Mid to last of march are the plans for me currently. So now there's 18 😏

Wow, I haven't been back on the forum since I started this thread but it's fun to see everyone that's going to be hiking next year! My plans have changed a lot since I posted, I've decided against bringing my dog along with me after testing her out with a pack and watching her behavior I just don't think it's something I want to put her through and I've realized that I'll be able to enjoy my hike better alone (and move faster to boot).
    I'm looking at maybe February 26 or 27 for my start date and since I've got most of my gear (waiting to order my sleeping bag and down coat to hit some winter sales) I can't wait to hit the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    Wow, I haven't been back on the forum since I started this thread but it's fun to see everyone that's going to be hiking next year! My plans have changed a lot since I posted, I've decided against bringing my dog along with me after testing her out with a pack and watching her behavior I just don't think it's something I want to put her through and I've realized that I'll be able to enjoy my hike better alone (and move faster to boot).
    I'm looking at maybe February 26 or 27 for my start date and since I've got most of my gear (waiting to order my sleeping bag and down coat to hit some winter sales) I can't wait to hit the trail.
    Hey, update your lingo... "I'll be able to enjoy my hike better alone (and move faster to Trail Shoe".
    OK, stupid humor.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

From what I was told the first 3 weeks of March are busy. That's why I have decided anywhere between February 18-25th.

Planning to start February 12.

I am planning to head out in February. Not sure on the date, but I want to beat the heat as much as possible.

Bonus info: I am a Florida native and I've never seen snow. So one goal is to see snow fall.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Planning to start February 12.
    Me too. It's my birthday. Maybe my kids will give me a new tent ⛺️

TinMan here: I hiked to Damascus in 2015 and after breaking off to see my new granddaughter I began again in Lincoln new Hamp shore. So I hiked about 700 miles. April 1 or so, I am planning on going back to damscus and going north into pa. This time I'm looking for an Sherpa to help with weight in my pack. Will need to get 10 or 12 lbs off my back because of some problems. Willing to pay a monthly stipend and weekly food allowance for a partner. Would prefer someone who is experienced and nols training helpful. Thanks ( if interested read blog and see Picts of 2015 hike. Tinmanonat/ just search google

TinMan

Heading back over there after an injury this year at Sams Gap mile 317, dislocated my hip in a bad fall. My own stupid fault.

Since I'm not going back to the start, you can call me a LASHer, but in Australia every multi day bushwalk is a thru hike.

Moose, leaving mile 317 on 6th Apr NOBO.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++