WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rain coming!! At least I hope...

Sure hoping the storms coming thru the next few days put out the fires and resupply some of the water sources. I'm planning a hike in late December and would like not having to worry about water or fires. Of course, hiking thru ashes might be another concern.

Journal Entries

The wet forecast has everybody around here smiling!
    We have a little pond on our place, normally 30 feet across, 2-3 feet of water on top of about 1 foot of mud. Currently it's about 12 feet across and not much deeper than 6 or 8 inches. A small population of tadpoles and frogs is struggling to survive, and praying for a deluge.

What is peoples opinions on the weather forecast for Newfound Gap to Davenport this weekend? It looks up in the air to me, but will prolly go either way.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I bet the rain will help with the wildfires. However, strong winds will blow before the rain which can be problematic. Very doubtful it will have any affect on water availability.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

i have a week blocked out in early December which was originally for a FHT thru hike, but the closings and drought reports screwed that up. travel to the region is still a "go," so maybe things will improve for me after all?

Dudeijuststarted

I hiked a few sections of the Foothills Trail over the holiday. There was water in the small streams although low. This is a great time for the FHT. I encountered one thru hiker on Thanksgiving that went from Sassafras to Oconee State Park who said water was not an issue and that it was a great trip. He actually got rained on Wednesday evening in the Chattooga River section. You might reconsider.

Just started a deluge at my place. First good rain in like 2 months!! If it rains like this in NC, I would think all the fires should be extinguished.

http://www.gatlinburgspaceneedle.com/webcam/

As of 8:20 PM you can see active fire right near downtown Gatlinburg. That's pretty crazy. This rain is only a few hours away so hopefully itll all be over this time tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    http://www.gatlinburgspaceneedle.com/webcam/

As of 8:20 PM you can see active fire right near downtown Gatlinburg. That's pretty crazy. This rain is only a few hours away so hopefully itll all be over this time tomorrow.
    i can't get it to load...Rut Roh...dat ain't good!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    What is peoples opinions on the weather forecast for Newfound Gap to Davenport this weekend? It looks up in the air to me, but will prolly go either way.
    Be aware, due to the fires in and around Gatlinburg and in the park itself, the National Park Service has closed the entire park until further notice.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

So the smokies got some rain last night...was it enough to extinguish the fires?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    So the smokies got some rain last night...was it enough to extinguish the fires?
    Reading some updates at lunch and they are still battling the fires in the general area but more rain is expected tonight into tomorrow. Fingers crossed it rains a bunch.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Reading some updates at lunch and they are still battling the fires in the general area but more rain is expected tonight into tomorrow. Fingers crossed it rains a bunch.
    thank you, hope you get some more tonight and the winds are kind.

Images

A friend of mine said it was raining a little last night. Tomorrow is 80% chance and Thursday is 100%. Like the weather men/women are ever right, but I'm praying it rains for several days!

Images
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

The rain in central Alabama this morning has been one of the hardest in the last several years - at least that I can remember. All of the streets have standing water and the ditches are full. If this makes its way up to TN, I don't see how it could not put the fires out.

Journal Entries

My little frog pond is 6 inches deeper this morning than it was before the rains came.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

well, if any shelters burned down at least that would be a positive.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Its pouring buckets here in east TN and has been all night.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    well, if any shelters burned down at least that would be a positive.
    That caused a mental image of thousands of flaming mice spreading fire through the forest.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++