WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Hey... I don't think anyone has mentioned that using poles helps prevent "fat finger" syndrome

You know how your fingers swell up after a big mile day......poles stop that !!
    (or is that just me..?????)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    Hey... I don't think anyone has mentioned that using poles helps prevent "fat finger" syndrome

You know how your fingers swell up after a big mile day......poles stop that !!
    (or is that just me..?????)
    FWIW, I have the same results. Without poles my fingers will swell up, using them prevents that.

For what it's worth -- I just picked up a pair of CF trekking poles at Costco for $30. "Cascade Mountain" brand. Flip locks. Cork handles. They look quite nice. Someone mentioned them here on WB ages ago, but my local Costco just began carrying them.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    For what it's worth -- I just picked up a pair of CF trekking poles at Costco for $30. "Cascade Mountain" brand. Flip locks. Cork handles. They look quite nice. Someone mentioned them here on WB ages ago, but my local Costco just began carrying them.
    For the price, these poles cannot be topped...IMHO...YMMV...

Here is info on the company. Dealing through Costco cuts their margin drastically, but they make it up with volume and positive name recognition through mass sales. Pretty smart...

http://www.cascademountaintech.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

Same here. I forgot my poles on a day hike a few weeks ago...forgot how much easier it makes things for me until I hiked without again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    FWIW, I have the same results. Without poles my fingers will swell up, using them prevents that.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    For the price, these poles cannot be topped...IMHO...YMMV...

Here is info on the company. Dealing through Costco cuts their margin drastically, but they make it up with volume and positive name recognition through mass sales. Pretty smart...

http://www.cascademountaintech.com/
    i broke one in Pennsylvania. Got caught in rocks . Carbon fiber is not for me I'll stick with aluminum.

Thom

I've tried poles on two different occasions now. The first time was while hiking in Cheaha AL several years back. This last time, I thought they would save my knees on the downhill of Angels Landing in Zion. I tangled up with them several times and felt really awkward. Of course that is a paved trail. I know some folks who swear by them!

Uncoordinated folks probably shouldn't use poles.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Uncoordinated folks probably shouldn't use poles.
    +100 Something I have noticed is that often people will persist in using poles when they should be stowed or held horizontally in one hand, such as when doing steep rock scrambles or when rock-hopping across boulder fields. In these situations foot and hand placement become a lot more critical and also looking for solid pole placements complicates this process and probably causes MORE trips and falls.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    +100 Something I have noticed is that often people will persist in using poles when they should be stowed or held horizontally in one hand, such as when doing steep rock scrambles or when rock-hopping across boulder fields. In these situations foot and hand placement become a lot more critical and also looking for solid pole placements complicates this process and probably causes MORE trips and falls.
    We could devise a test and score trekking pole purchasers before they buy. Like the walk and chewing gum test. Closed eyes arms out put finger on nose test . DUI test . ;0)

thom

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I have a tendency to throw them far away from me in lightning storms. There's a free pair laying around somewhere up on Thunder Ridge, VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    We could devise a test and score trekking pole purchasers before they buy. Like the walk and chewing gum test. Closed eyes arms out put finger on nose test . DUI test . ;0)

thom
    Not a bad idea!

IMO for a beginner there's nothing inherently wrong with not knowing these things, and there are some people that will quickly (or slowly) figure them out on their own, and still many others who need to have it pointed out to them. And no matter what there are some who will insist on doing it their way, unsafe as it might be, even after breaking a few poles and landing on their faces a few times. And of course it's always possible to hurt ourselves while doing everything right. Whatever, stuff's gonna happen, but I'll take my chances with good practices and techniques.

I have personally never used them, but also am not against them. Of my two longest hikes (450 miles and 200 miles), I simply enjoyed having my hands free for water bottles, snacks, consulting data books, etc. From the sound of it, i'll be using them in due time when my joints start stiffening up with age

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Same here. I forgot my poles on a day hike a few weeks ago...forgot how much easier it makes things for me until I hiked without again.
    Totally agree, i did my first trek without a trekking pole and next with a trekking pole. I felt it takes a lot of pressure of your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I have a tendency to throw them far away from me in lightning storms. There's a free pair laying around somewhere up on Thunder Ridge, VA.
    Charming behavior.

235 posts and counting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    That's been in the back of my mind for some time...metal poles in a tent seem like lightning rods. trecking pole pitched tents especially.

Do you need them---depends on who you ask!
    Interesting experience this fall---while going thru Maryland and forging a stream between calf and knee deep--a rock shifted when I was almost across and the result was me in the water. Not fun!!
    Got home and my buds said hey Tawa I thought those hiking poles were suppose to prevent those kind of accidents.
    My reply---I'm 65 and thats the first time that has ever happened! then pointed out the numerous times each yr that hiking poles have saved my ass!!
    So no hiking poles are in no way guaranteed to prevent all mishaps but my experience is they have saved me and aided me all so many times!
    I like the odds and will continue to use them!

Yes, you need trekking poles.

No, you don't need trekking poles.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++