WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I would recommend a magnesium fire starter as a backup to the lighters, or at least some waterproof matches in a sealed container.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I bought four different BIC lighters at the grocery store Friday night.. so there's a *bit* of redundancy there.

It might be redundant, but I've found that Bic lighters don't work particularly well in the winter. If you want to be a little safer, you might consider taking only two of the lighters and then also bringing some waterproof matches or some strike-anywhere matches in a waterproof container.
    Yep, noted. I had mentioned earlier above (or on another page, at this point) that I was bringing matches as well. Didn't think to restate it in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I cant hardly use a lighter to light stove with cold fingers.
    A small firesteel can work easier to drop a shower of sparks onto stove sometimes.
    Noted! Thanks!
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Not sure if theygotbetter but when I bought waterproof matches...they sucked fwiw I never use lighters . I have two redundant match containers, never had issues with wetness or anything that would cause them not to work I use wooden matches from thebigcase you buy at a local grocery store
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Not sure if theygotbetter but when I bought waterproof matches...they sucked fwiw I never use lighters . I have two redundant match containers, never had issues with wetness or anything that would cause them not to work I use wooden matches from thebigcase you buy at a local grocery store
    In the summer, I love Mini-Bic lighters. I usually carry two Mini-Bics stored in two different places in my pack to reduce the risk that both will get wet, or that one of them will run out of fuel. They are light, cheap, and effective. But, the winter is a different ball game. If you keep them warm and dry, they'll work fine...but if they get too cold or even a little bit wet, they are a PITA.

Related match question:
    I can't seem to find strike anywhere matches in semi-rural east Texas. Did the Nanny Police or the CDC or ATF outlaw them? All of the wooden matches I've found are safety matches. I had to cut a piece of the striker material from the box and put it in my match safe. Bummer!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Woah! I've been there in the winter .... deep snow and very very cold. Take snowshoes.
    I hope you have a lot of experience doing this sort of thing...

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

It was -6F here in Minneapolis the morning after the snow system passed through this weekend on its way east. The perfect white snow and piles combined with sunshine and bracing temperature reminds me fondly of a Colorado ski town. This would be a great day to backpack if you're sufficiently prepared and the winds stay down. Looks like Killington will get these temps on Friday. Such an adventure! I wish you well.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

This morning's mess in eastern MA makes me content to be indoors. Light snow overnight, changing to rain. 36F outside. Yecch. I'd rather have 20F with steady snow. But at least there's no wind.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It's mild today (12/18), 30's with rain changing to snow, temps dropping back to 5-10 degrees either side of zero tonight. It's going to be a cold start, but if the snow freezes solid, it might be the easiest walking conditions you can get. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    It's mild today (12/18), 30's with rain changing to snow, temps dropping back to 5-10 degrees either side of zero tonight. It's going to be a cold start, but if the snow freezes solid, it might be the easiest walking conditions you can get. Good luck!
    Or the worst. If the crust is not quite strong enough to support you and you keep breaking through post holing, even with snowshoes, that saps a lot of energy. The climb out of MA and into VT tomorrow should be interesting.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Final post before zero-hour. We're at Friendly's in Greenfield filling up on warm calories before we start over the Mohawk Trail for the North Adams area.

A final thank you to everyone for the support and encouragement throughout this. Your honesty and advice and experiences were greatly appreciated!

I'll be posting on the blog and Instagram when possible.

www.2180miles.com / @2180miles on IG

If any of you are local to us while hiking and would like to volunteer a ride to town for resupplies and a cold beer, we welcome the offer!!

Happy trails,

Texaco

Images

I was just thinking of you guys... Good luck , we'll be following along!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It's pretty cool to be able to follow along with the Spot reports. This is the second hiker I've "followed" (not stalked!) this year; the first I met on the LT and tracked her until she completed the trail during the first snows of autumn. It may just change my view on electronics on the trail, especially if my wife can "follow" me.

Merry Christmas Eve from the Bromley shelter gents! Chilly and windy but not too bad. 56 miles in so far. 14 yesterday over Stratton, resupply and 9mi today. Making it happen!

Glad you're enjoying Spot. It's pretty neat and one of my favorite gadgets on trail.

Happy holidays!

Journal Entries

Best of Luck ; In Oct My Black Lab & I were just about where you guys are now. Keep on Trail & Get a shower & hot meal when you can. The Inn of the Long Trail was a great stop for us

Images

I'm lovin' it! Nearly 100 miles in, 9 days, doing OK it seems. Keep pluggin' along! Thanks for the cool blog.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'm lovin' it! Nearly 100 miles in, 9 days, doing OK it seems. Keep pluggin' along! Thanks for the cool blog.
    Now the real test starts. The trail is about to get much more difficult and the snow much, much deeper. They'll be on the fringe edge of today's Nor'easter, but will likely get some significant snow out of the deal and the northern half of the state has gotten much more snow then the southern end so far this winter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for virtually taking me along. I've gone up and down the trail numerous times and your journey brings back memories. Looking forward to the next update.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow. Good luck. It can be done.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++