WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    If a provider writes for a 30 day supply on a daily scheduled medication, the point is for the med to last 30 days, whether the patient takes 1/2 tablet or 1 tablet. If a script is written as a 30 day supply but lasts 60 days either somebody is bad at math or is intentionally gaming the system. And I would consider it fraudulent.

The OP should get a 90 day supply with 1 refill and have the meds mailed by a family member, this would cover 6 months

An element of fraud is that there is a loss. There is no loss to the insurance company if the cost is identical per pill.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There are lots of medications where you want to titrate the dose. My doc will usually prescribe enough for the highest dose that he thinks I might need, because the insurance will fight tooth and nail against a second prescription for the same drug in the same time window. I once got a year out of a three-month prescription because half a pill once a day was enough, and he'd prescribed enough for one pill twice a day in case he needed to escalate the dose. (It wouldn't have made me shed tears either way. The price of the drug was maybe $6 more than the copay.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I'm sad to hear about your illness but I have met some quite ill individuals who were able to hike the trail for long distances. I recall Attilla the Hun, a small, unimposing man who we passed numerous times in Maine in 2007. He used a car and hiked backwards to it, taking a day or two off quite often. We stayed a strange windy night with him in the Sugar Shack. Very very ill, but he did it.

I believe that, if anything, the robust hiking like can improve your health. Also, I hope you have read about the Terry Wahls protocol for MS.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I believe that is insurance fraud
    You believe incorrectly. Let the prescriber merely write the script as "PRN" or something like "one half tablet or one tablet as directed for symptoms."
    Calling this fraud is sophistry. Every caring physician in the world does this, at least for penniless patients.

So how do people carry their meds on the trail? In a pill carrier or what?

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by piratekitty View Post
    1) it's a new-ish, name-brand-only immunosuppressant drug (Gilenya) that is distributed out of Novartis' pharmacy to mine (can only get it from the manufacturer, in other words)
    2) I just got turned down for a 90-day supply by my insurance, as there is a max number that can be issued at once. However, since I'm changing insurance providers in January, I'll have to check with the new one.
    3) I know that I can contact Novartis for an emergency 14-day supply that they'll overnight to me, so I have a bit of wiggle room (but not much, as it's an emergency supply)
    I also have to take prescription medicines and this is what I do.

I tell the pharmacy that I am going on vacation for a long period of time and will need to get a refill right away since I will not be near a pharmacy when the current one runs out. They call the insurance company and get approval and I leave with 2 months supply. Then I plan for hitting a resupply town within the window of when I am going to run out of the medicine (a pharmacy normally cannot fill a prescription sooner than about a week or ten days from when you are supposed to run out - and the computer knows). After that I only get it by the month. At each pharmacy the prescription is transferred from the last pharmacy to the new one..and so on.

I don't know if this is possible with a non-standard medicine, but talk to your doctor and pharmacy. They should be quite willing to help you and they are going to be jealous of your hike too

Hello everyone, friends, I really need medical insurance, tell me where to do it?

marketplace? through an employer? Medicaid?

An independent insurance agent can probably help find policies that would work, though they may be more pricey than employer sponsored insurance.

I see alot of people admitting to federal crimes on some of these threads.
    You folks do know it is illegal to mail prescription drugs dont you ?
    Unless its a pharmacy to patient..
    Patient to patient, or family to patient is pretty illegal.

There was a guy who hiked a few years ago who needed anti rejection drugs, I believe. I need prescriptions filled so I reached out to him. He stated he used Walgreens as they were abundant. Any Walgreens nationally can fill it. He had challenges in that he had to time his stops and get rides to do so. It didn't seem like he was able to stay glued to a trail family because of that. He was able to complete his hike though. I also met a woman who hiked the PCT and AT as a diabetic. She kept her insulin on ice. I throw this story in so you know where there is a will there is a way. Each person in spite of the compromises they had to make were not deterred.

if there is a will there is a way,,, but if its a felony,, probably should find another way or at least not talk about it on forums.

Kudos to the folks that adapt, improvise and over come pretty amazing if you ask me what many of the folks on this page have accomplished with the hand they have been dealt.

Dropdeadfred, the posts you seem to be referring to are at least 4 years old. The recent post was asking where to get insurance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++