WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Opiates require an in=person physician visit for every script and no script is good for longer than a 30 day supply. Your Doctor won't risk the loss of his DEA license by post-dating opiate scripts.
    I did not suggest post dating opiate Rxs. I suggested future dating them with "do not fill before dates" written on the Rx. There is no law against future dating(do not fill before dates)prescriptions for opiates. I deal with it all the time. Opioid prescriptions(schedule2) may only be for a 30 day supply with no refills and require a new prescription each time you need the medication. We keep an in store file for future dated opiate prescriptions and will file them for the patient if the patient does not wish to store the future dated Rxs.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    I did not suggest post dating opiate Rxs. I suggested future dating them with "do not fill before dates" written on the Rx. There is no law against future dating(do not fill before dates)prescriptions for opiates. I deal with it all the time. Opioid prescriptions(schedule2) may only be for a 30 day supply with no refills and require a new prescription each time you need the medication. We keep an in store file for future dated opiate prescriptions and will file them for the patient if the patient does not wish to store the future dated Rxs.
    90 day max on the undated future CSII opiod scripts. So, somewhere along the thru-hike if you are on a CSII drug, you are going to have to see a Doctor...and getting a doc today to write a set of future scripts on a CSII requires a good relationship...to say the least...just sayin...

Images

90 day max on the undated future CSII opiod scripts. So, somewhere along the thru-hike if you are on a CSII drug, you are going to have to see a Doctor...and getting a doc today to write a set of future scripts on a CSII requires a good relationship...to say the least...just sayin...
    Not sure what you mean. I never suggested undated Rxs. I said future dated Rxs with the words "do not fill before this date" with the corresponding appropriate future date. Schedule 2 drugs can never be for more than a 30 day supply. Each 30 day supply requires a new prescription. If there is a true established chronic need for the medication, it can be done.

Default Getting medicine refilled on the trail?

MS meds need serious observation.
    For other meds, how about a few written scripts? You might have to pay out of pocket, but if you are taking six months off without income (while expending thousands) I figure you should be able to pay for three months of meds. (Before leaving get a three month fill of everything.)

MS meds need serious observation to start (guess what I'm doing on Monday), but barring emergencies and unforeseen consequences I'll be OK.
    Gilenya doesn't need liver monitoring, that's Tecfidera.
    I was only just diagnosed in June. The first lesion was present on an MRI taken when I was 19. I should be fine. If not, I'll handle it.

Not sure if this could help but in some areas, you'll find many chain drug stores. If you use a Rite Aid, for example, your prescription would be in their database so, from what I understand, you could refill there if you plan it out.

Call your insurence, there's provision for people that travel abroad

Here's a fairly comprehensive, plain-English listing of what happens with your drug. Its a good drug for a bad disease, but it is fairly toxic to the body, especially the immune system.

Again, few people with relapsing MS undertake 8 hours of intense physical activity every day for 5 months. Have you discussed your level and duration of exertion on a daily basis for 5 months with your prescribing doctor?

https://www.drugs.com/pro/gilenya.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by becfoot View Post
    Not sure if this could help but in some areas, you'll find many chain drug stores. If you use a Rite Aid, for example, your prescription would be in their database so, from what I understand, you could refill there if you plan it out.
    While it is true that the most all pharmacies now maintain their patient records on a computer database. Filling the prescription at a different pharmacy than the one where it was originally filled still requires a transfer of the original(hard copy) prescription to the location where you wish to have it filled. This can be done either verbally(phone) or electronically(fax).

[snip] The other thing....its for relapsing MS. Which is a pretty harsh disease to begin with. Have you a plan for when your MS goes out of remission on the trail and relapses, or is the drug your Plan A?

You can be hours or days away from rescue on the trail. Sudden dizziness, blurred vision and loss of balance can be fatal on the trail. You get this from MS AND/OR the drug! How are you going to get your liver enzymes monitored on the hike? Have you discussed the use of this drug and extended periods of intense physical exertion? This drug is a heart function interferer, the absolute LAST thing you want to introduce to intense periods of intense physical exertion, I would think....
    Also, it is a powerful immune-suppressant. You are going to need to purify your water like its a religion, avoid bathing in non-treated water, maintain a high level of daily hygiene, etc...your risk for influenza on this drug is greatly increased as well.

I admire your courage and respect your desire. I just don't want you getting hurt or worsening an already bad situation. Please try to get clear answers to whether your disease, this drug, and lengthy periods of intense physical exertion in less than sanitary daily conditions are a healthy mix. Your disease alone, unless you are convinced will remain in remission and not relapse during the hike, is a clear impediment to completion and a potential real danger to your safety. But, you probably already knew that....

Be safe. Be well. Bob Barker made it with MS and crutches, so it can be done...
    Here's a fairly comprehensive, plain-English listing of what happens with your drug. Its a good drug for a bad disease, but it is fairly toxic to the body, especially the immune system.

Again, few people with relapsing MS undertake 8 hours of intense physical activity every day for 5 months. Have you discussed your level and duration of exertion on a daily basis for 5 months with your prescribing doctor?

https://www.drugs.com/pro/gilenya.html
    I understand your concern, but I don't think you're hearing the important parts:
    I
    Have
    No
    Current
    Symptoms.

I do not have dizziness, I do not have muscle pain or weakness, I am still able to work my physically demanding job for 8.5 hours a day, five days a week and make it to the gym after.

Yes, my doctor knows about my plan to hike the trail. In fact, he is encouraging me to go.

My first lesion is on an MRI that was taken when I was 19, I am currently 30. I HAVE HAD NO SYMPTOMS beyond the brain lesions, and they were only looking at my brain to figure out what was causing my migraines.

I will be bringing a SPOT device as a backup, but there is nothing wrong with me. The likelihood of my MS suddenly getting as bad as you imagine it to be is infinitesimal. So, thank you for your concern, but unless you have advice about pharmacies, I don't really want to hear it. (It's kinda like asking for advice about a rolled ankle, and someone going off about amputation.)

I was going to suggest a Personal Locator Beacon as a more reliable SOS device than the SPOT.
    You seem to know what you want to do.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

What do you recommend as better than SPOT? That's the only one I've heard recommended to me.

Good luck! Hope you work out your pharmaceutical situation.

Quote Originally Posted by piratekitty View Post
    What do you recommend as better than SPOT? That's the only one I've heard recommended to me.
    A personal locator beacon. A scaled down version of the marine EPIRB units.
    I bought an ACR ResQ Link+ last spring and attach it to the shoulder strap of my pack. It only does one thing: Sends out a very strong SOS GPS signal for 24 hours to a satellite network and a homing signal that Search and Rescue units use to find you. It does not have 2 way communication. It costs nothing to use. I bought mine from REI.
    https://www.acrartex.com/ResQLink
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Thanks! I was under the impression that SPOT was a PLB, but apparently I was mistaken. I found a thread in another forum that's comparing the two, and I believe that I'll ask for a PBL rather than the SPOT.

Quote Originally Posted by piratekitty View Post
    Thanks! I was under the impression that SPOT was a PLB, but apparently I was mistaken. I found a thread in another forum that's comparing the two, and I believe that I'll ask for a PBL rather than the SPOT.
    The signal strength and the ability to get the signal out in difficult locations sold me. The technology has been around for quite awhile.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    My doctor prescribes me meds at double dose so I can split the pill, so a 30 day supply would last 60 days. I know not all meds can be split, but it's an option for some meds.
    I believe that is insurance fraud

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I believe that is insurance fraud
    Not if the price per pill is the same. That is often the case. A 100mg and 50mg pill can cost the same per pill, for example...

Not if the price per pill is the same. That is often the case. A 100mg and 50mg pill can cost the same per pill, for example...
    If a provider writes for a 30 day supply on a daily scheduled medication, the point is for the med to last 30 days, whether the patient takes 1/2 tablet or 1 tablet. If a script is written as a 30 day supply but lasts 60 days either somebody is bad at math or is intentionally gaming the system. And I would consider it fraudulent.

The OP should get a 90 day supply with 1 refill and have the meds mailed by a family member, this would cover 6 months

Default I have

I have done Gilenya monitoring and it needs maximum monitoring by a professional. The patient cannot do this as a small but critical number of patients crash with dangerous cardiac irrythemia.
    I use Humera which needs careful temperature control so my days of hiking more than about two weeks are done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++