WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Training for AT thru Hike

Quote Originally Posted by jekerdud View Post
    I am doing at minimum a day hike a week. I am working a full time job and driving for Uber in the evening, working all the time now. But, the day hikes happen on the weekend so far. Still getting into the swing of driving after my full time job, so I may start hitting my exercise bike up a couple times a week for the cardio.
    I gave up driving for uber and Lyft. They kept cutting the pay, and it's way too much wear and tear on my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    A thru hike is tough. What are the stats? 80 percent don't make it out of Georgia? And of those that do only 20 percent actually finish a thru hike? I thought I read those somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong, please!
    Well, your not completely wrong, only about 20% do finish so that means 80% dropped out somewhere along the way. Maybe 80% of those who dropped out did so before making it out of Georgia, but even that seems high.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

80% drop out, but its throughout the entire trail. I read 25% quit by the time they get to Neels Gap and another 25% by Gatlinburg.

A thru hike is tough. What are the stats? 80 percent don't make it out of Georgia?
    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    80% drop out, but its throughout the entire trail. I read 25% quit by the time they get to Neels Gap and another 25% by Gatlinburg.
    What we know for sure is that initial dropout rate is extremely high, that it gradually declines but never hits zero. Large numbers drop out in Virginia and points well north of there, yea even unto Gorham.

Ran into a through hiker named Echo that was ready to quit at Swift River campsite because she missed her kids. She was two weeks from finishing at Katahdin. Her friends wouldn't let her quit.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree. I walk every day. On the weekends, I try to up the ante and on at least one of the two weekend days, I hike a trail in full gear. Bonus if the trail is hilly, and lots of my weekends are spent on hilly trails.

If you're going to a gym, hit the ladder climber, or get on a treadmill, put the elevation as high as it will go, and set the speed to 3 mph. Do that for at leas half an hour.

Keeping your mind in the game, keeping it fresh, posting here, tinkering with gear, and hiking hiking hiking anywhere and everywhere you can will get you ready.

KNOW YOUR GEAR and for God sake, play with it. Sleep in your tent or hammock one a week. Make your breakfast on your stove. Do all the stuff you'd do on the trail only do it where you are. Make it second nature.

How many people on here (the wise ones) have said ITS ONLY WALKING???

It's only walking.

Your frame was designed to walk like a mofo. So walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    There are other threads on training, and you'll probably get more responses here. But I'll add that doing a hike with your actual gear will help you a lot
    You can tweak along the way, but you'll save some $ and headaches if you do a legit test run with proper gear

Images

I will probably be doing a shakedown trip this weekend in North GA if anyone wants to join.

Pack and unpack your backpack in the dark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9 View Post
    I will probably be doing a shakedown trip this weekend in North GA if anyone wants to join.
    What area?

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I'm training for a hopeful PCT 2018, and using the same thing that got me thru AT injury-free in '14...

Yoga
    Barefoot running
    Wall squats
    Sprints
    Tony Robbins Fire Walk experience helped me to complete an AT thru-hike.

Images

Went from couch to trail (for a 3 day section in MD).
    What I wish I would have done is cardio, especially steps.
    Had no issues on the flats, but was stopping at pretty much every blaze on the uphills.
    And that's MD.
    I can only imagine what GA or NH or ME would be like.
    But that's me.
    I've never had an issue humpin' a ruck for miles and miles as long as it's flat.
    So the basic idea is maintain your strength and improve your weakness.
    And don't forget the mental workouts too.
    Above all: Have fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dervari View Post
    What area?

Havnt planned anything as of yet. Im open

As someone who dropped out this year I hate hearing "Its just walking". Sorry but the trail is a lot more than just a walk in the woods. Sure if you are already in shape it will not be to bad for you. For me GA chewed me up and spit me out in NC. A big reason I felt I did not make it was that I went in with the idea that I could get into shape on the trail. Please do not make my mistake. Get in shape now. I saw people out there in great shape having a hard time at the start and people like me dropping like fly's before even Neel Gap. I am spending a lot of time hiking on hills, losing weight, doing a lot of cardio, and eating right to get ready for 2018. I would say cardio is a big one. Hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I did. It takes a lot of work just to get on the trail. Saving, getting gear, and planing don't forget to put some of that work on the most important part of a thru-hike, you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethern View Post
    As someone who dropped out this year I hate hearing "Its just walking". Sorry but the trail is a lot more than just a walk in the woods. Sure if you are already in shape it will not be to bad for you. For me GA chewed me up and spit me out in NC. A big reason I felt I did not make it was that I went in with the idea that I could get into shape on the trail. Please do not make my mistake. Get in shape now. I saw people out there in great shape having a hard time at the start and people like me dropping like fly's before even Neel Gap. I am spending a lot of time hiking on hills, losing weight, doing a lot of cardio, and eating right to get ready for 2018. I would say cardio is a big one. Hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I did. It takes a lot of work just to get on the trail. Saving, getting gear, and planing don't forget to put some of that work on the most important part of a thru-hike, you.
    Congratulations for a most realistic look back at what must have been a huge disappointment, at the time.

Many people, even under-40's, are under the impression that they can "hike themselves into shape". Well, you can....

It's just that by the time you do get close to a semblance of being fit enough to handle NC and TN, you are beaten-up. Your ego is at rock bottom. What seemed like such a grand adventure now seems like.....really freaking hard work. And, you've realized that every day it boils down to this. When you wake in the morning and ask yourself, "What am I going to do today?" the only reasonable answer is going to be "Get up, break camp, hike 15 miles up and down mountains all by myself, make camp, make dinner and go to bed. All by myself." And you must be of the mindset(the hell with the issue of physical conditioning) that you can handle 170 of those mornings. You probably just got done with 5-7 days of Georgia. You've got 160 something more days to go. And you are beat. That's why so many don't make it "hiking themselves into shape". By the time you get to the Old Oak Tree, it is no longer physical, unless you are injured. It has become mental....and you can't just "hike" your mind into shape...

Congratulations for a most realistic look back at what must have been a huge disappointment, at the time.

Many people, even under-40's, are under the impression that they can "hike themselves into shape". Well, you can....

It's just that by the time you do get close to a semblance of being fit enough to handle NC and TN, you are beaten-up. Your ego is at rock bottom. What seemed like such a grand adventure now seems like.....really freaking hard work. And, you've realized that every day it boils down to this. When you wake in the morning and ask yourself, "What am I going to do today?" the only reasonable answer is going to be "Get up, break camp, hike 15 miles up and down mountains all by myself, make camp, make dinner and go to bed. All by myself." And you must be of the mindset(the hell with the issue of physical conditioning) that you can handle 170 of those mornings. You probably just got done with 5-7 days of Georgia. You've got 160 something more days to go. And you are beat. That's why so many don't make it "hiking themselves into shape". By the time you get to the Old Oak Tree, it is no longer physical, unless you are injured. It has become mental....and you can't just "hike" your mind into shape...
    That is just what it came down to. It was a big disappointment at the time. I remember sitting on that old tree just after the GA/NC border and just felt like I was nothing. I had done all this planning. I had myself so hyped for the hike and now I knew it was over. At that point all I wanted to do was give up forever. I remember thinking that the AT was not an adventure but a punishment. When I got off the trail in Franklin I met someone who put it all into prospective for me. He told me to look at it as a learning experience and to pat myself on the back because 100 miles is nothing to scoff at. I had not failed I had gained experience. When I look back at it now I am happy with what I was able to do. I went from a 345lb couch potato to someone who just a week later hiked over 100 miles on a very tough trail. something most people I know would not even think of doing. Its got me back to work. this time working on myself. I have the gear. I have the knowledge. When I get out on the trail in 2018 I will have the legs and the will to make it to the end.

That is just what it came down to. It was a big disappointment at the time. I remember sitting on that old tree just after the GA/NC border and just felt like I was nothing. I had done all this planning. I had myself so hyped for the hike and now I knew it was over. At that point all I wanted to do was give up forever. I remember thinking that the AT was not an adventure but a punishment. When I got off the trail in Franklin I met someone who put it all into prospective for me. He told me to look at it as a learning experience and to pat myself on the back because 100 miles is nothing to scoff at. I had not failed I had gained experience. When I look back at it now I am happy with what I was able to do. I went from a 345lb couch potato to someone who just a week later hiked over 100 miles on a very tough trail. something most people I know would not even think of doing. Its got me back to work. this time working on myself. I have the gear. I have the knowledge. When I get out on the trail in 2018 I will have the legs and the will to make it to the end.
    ***, dude! 345 lbs and 100 miles in a week is damn impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    ***, dude! 345 lbs and 100 miles in a week is damn impressive.
    Lol not a week. It took me 12 days of hiking not counting zero days to get to Franklin.

My training for a section hike had the following effects

Hey, if you planned on an AT thru hike it's not rocket science to understand going in its' called Long Distance Hiking because it's about the long haul, about however you wish to chunk it down: step upon step, moment by moment, laugh cry complain, push on, snack, drink, morning after morning, snack, drink, walk, walk, stop have that WOW this is GREAT moment, snack, snack, this is great food moment, drink, drink, have that WOW that's the best water I've ever drank moment, sunset after ohh this is a more beautiful sunset, wow this is GREAT, rain, rain, have that Gene Kelly Singing in the Rain crazy in love moment, more rain, mud, mud, hey that was't mud moment, slap, slap, slap another skeeter, resupply, laugh, laugh, slip, trip, catch yourself, walk, laugh, get hot, try to cool down, WOW this is another GREAT moment, walk, walk , laugh, laugh, laugh, water........

My training for a section hike had the following side effects:

-Lost an additional 50 lbs over the 90 I had already lost
    -Got taken off blood pressure meds
    -5K time dropped from 44:02 3/15 to 37:57 5/16 (5 days after I finished)
    -I can run over a mile on a treadmill without gasping for air
    -Can hike up Stone Mountain in 22 minutes instead of 45

And I had no issues on a short 23 mile section over Sassafras and Justus. Wish I had more time to have gone farther.

Absolutely a believer in training beforehand.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++