WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Classic. I think training in deprivation is key. Try living without: running water, hot showers, toilets, heat, bed, a roof, multiple hot meals per day, light, electronics, and your family and friends.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Originally Posted by Tipi Walter

** Sleep in the backyard for dozens of nights until you really get used to sleeping on your pad---whatever it is. Once you prefer a Thermarest to your indoor bed half of the battle is over.

this for sure. people pay $gazillions for beds and box springs and four posts what's-its. all you need is ground. and a little buffer.

I agree with gear trials, the ability to sleep well really impacts your hiking.

As for moving fitness, I personally do various cardiovascular and weighted box step-ups. Not just stairs, the sheer step up then down with weight is super beneficial.

Bleh, meant to type various cardio workouts and also weighted box step-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    ... about when his 2017 "The Spectacularly Crappy Bear Bag Hangs Of The AT" calendar is coming out.
    Eagerly awaiting the release date. Empty spot on the front of the refrigerator awaits. Does it include hiker girls?

MW, that was a good post linking to Jester's all important "How To Prep" article.

I walk a few miles to and from work 6 days a week just as my normal routine. Since my thru hike is fast approaching, I'm making sure to stretch my legs much more and I added a 30lb pack to my daily commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G. Hickman View Post
    I walk a few miles to and from work 6 days a week just as my normal routine. Since my thru hike is fast approaching, I'm making sure to stretch my legs much more and I added a 30lb pack to my daily commute.
    Wow, and how complicated it doesn't have to be!

Bravo. That's backpacking training. Now get outside a few nights, preferably in cold and rain and mosquitos , and in your house familiarizing yourself with your kit and you're probably more ready than most.

Doesn't have to be that hard and complicated. But you have to have the will. That mental inner fortitude thats says you will not be denied. You will go the extra mile. You will get through the fear, the unfamiliar, the temporary. You know you will be better for it by rising to the challenge. Settle in your soul that overcoming by the testing of your faith through trials and tribulations is making you and the world better.

Journal Entries

I honestly dont think physical training is that important for AT hike
    You have time to get in shape, if you are in avg shape or so to start.

Footwear....most important...have it nailed. This will put you offtrail in a week.
    Pack wt...keep it light...about 30 tops with full food and water
    Do some multiday shakedowns in hard terrain,to adjust expectations . Its real work. All day every day. No, really its hard as hell.
    Have a plan to avoid repetitive motion injuries. Ie. Start really slow. Add 10% per week. Dont rush it. Running for months before can be good to condition bones and tendons for hiking, but its not perfect.

If you want to kick it up, cardio, full body weights, and running is good to jump start you a little
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-27-2016 at 23:42.

I went on a day hike weekly and slowly increased pack weight until it was heavier than my trail weight. Average hike was about 10 miles. This gave me a huge edge at the beginning, even on flat Louisiana trails.
    Scuba nobo 2016

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I'm training for a hopeful PCT 2018, and using the same thing that got me thru AT injury-free in '14...

Yoga
    Barefoot running
    Wall squats
    Sprints

Do long hikes. At least three or four nights in the woods. Preferably on terrain similar to the AT, or the AT itself. Better yet if some of those hikes include bad weather.

Thru hiking is as much a mental/emotional game as physical. I don't know how one prepares for the mental/emotional stuff. Not sure you can do that in a gym or with Crossfit or with weights. But those long hikes may help.

Don't sweat the gear too much. Assuming money's not a big problem, gear issues can be sorted out as you go.

Physical training can't hurt, but it's no guarantee of success. Give yourself some slack in your overall schedule and think of the first few weeks as training for the next 2000 miles.

Images

Trying to gain as much fat as I can.

Images

Trying to gain as much fat as I can.

I get online training with Anish, it's great. If anyone knows core you gotta believe she does. So far the first month already I have noticed a difference. She has a contact on her blog and responded. Like I say she adds cardio to a bunch of new and different core exercises that have addressed a number of chronic issues I have had in my Achilles and IT band. She goes slow and carefully. Plus I feel like I'm sponsoring an honest upfront hiker not some corporate titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    I get online training with Anish, it's great. If anyone knows core you gotta believe she does. So far the first month already I have noticed a difference. She has a contact on her blog and responded. Like I say she adds cardio to a bunch of new and different core exercises that have addressed a number of chronic issues I have had in my Achilles and IT band. She goes slow and carefully. Plus I feel like I'm sponsoring an honest upfront hiker not some corporate titan.
    Great post.

A thru hike is tough. What are the stats? 80 percent don't make it out of Georgia? And of those that do only 20 percent actually finish a thru hike? I thought I read those somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong, please!

I can see why 80 percent don't make it out of Georgia or quit before Fontana Dam. Even if you've hiked yourself into shape and are consistently bagging 15 mile days, the toll of rain/cold/fatigue/routine/loneliness can add up and overwhelm you. And, I'd say Fontana Dam would be a good place to stop, take a zero and reflect. You've only made it one-tenth of the way to Kthadin. You've got more than 2000 miles to go. Are you still up for it? Are you enjoying yourself? Can you repeat 9 more cycles of what you just did?

It is, at that point, purely mental. Whether the desire to achieve the goal is stronger than the desire to stop...that will be the only thing stopping you the rest of the way...

for those planning to thru hike the AT I suggest 1) at a minimum do some over night (weekend) backpack trips. You get used to carrying a lone, being self sufficient, and finding out if backpacking is something you enjoy. 2) If you can, take a few weeks to a month an thru hike (or do most of ) the Vermont Long Trail. If you can do this trail, you can handle anything the AT can throw at you.

Physically, trail running works very well, throw in a lot of walking up and down hills.
    Mentally, you are on your own.

Uphill treadmill, stair climber, and burpies. Physically the uphill parts are what got to me the most. Now that my pack is (a lot) lighter, that'll help tremendously. Mentally though is another story. I've learned a lot of things on my hike that'll help. Things like weight savings, walk/rest cycles, listening to my body, knowing what to look for (Lyme, etc...), having a routine (bathing, cleaning equipment, etc..), eating properly, and a knowing every day isn't going to be a blast. Some will stink (hiking in 7 days of straight rain isn't really my idea of fun), people are going to pass you like it's their 1st day on the trail, things happen back home (everything breaks when I leave, all at once it seems). But overall I really enjoyed my thru attempt, even though I "only" made it 750 miles in. And I will attempt another thru, end to end, next year. Still as excited as the 1st try, but preparing physically and especially mentally will get me (and you) to the top.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++