WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zpack Hexamid Solo versus Duplex - can't decide

I'm looking to upgrade to a lighter tent than my 40+ oz Big Agnes which I call my "coffin". I love Zpacks' stuff, but can't decide between the Hexamid Solo and Duplex. This will be for solo backpacking primarily, but I do like to bring my gear inside.

Anyone own the Duplex as a solo tent? Any regrets on not going smaller/lighter?
    Anyone using a Hexamid? Are you happy with it, or wish you had gone slightly larger?

Thanks!

Dave

Images

From my experience, more people regret not getting a larger tent than the other way around by a large margin. Buy the Duplex, you'll appreciate the the extra room far more than you notice the relatively tiny increase in weight.

BTW, I ordered the Triplex this morning as a 2 person tent to replace a normal 2 person tent from another manufacturer which doesn't really have room for 2 people and their gear. This is the same issue you would have with a Hexamid solo...no room for gear.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I have the Duplex as a solo tent and wouldn't trade the amount of space for anything. I love it. I think the weigh penalty of a couple of ozs is completely worth it to keep my gear, me and even two dogs sometimes, out of the weather. I think you'll find a lot of people say the same thing.

This is the answer I expected. Duplex is on order! Thank you!

Journal Entries

I used a Hex solo with a Solo+ bathtub. (all Hex's are interchangeable with all bathtubs), it was perfect for my thru. It did not give any extra space than was needed. I would not have chosen any other hex combo for my thru after the fact then that which I chose.

Yes more room is nice and all but not needed beyond what you need. I would consider the duplex, and considered the weight savings of combining the bathtub + tent into one, but that's not what you are asking.

Duplex for sure. Worth the slight weight increase for more space and better ventilation.

Journal Entries

Actually I see you are exactly asking about the Hexamid vs the duplex - so adding to my post above, my reply was based on the Heximid 2 person tent vs the Hexamid solo, so yes I would consider the duplex, which IIRC comes in about an ounce lighter than my setup but gives much more room. Footprint may be a issue but not a big one.

I ended up going with the Duplex, and I love it, but my first choice would have been the Hexamid Solo Plus with the twin floor. The removable floor really makes the tent unique, and a few less ounces doesn't hurt either. What I could not get over, however, was the bug netting under the tent. I could just imagine it getting damaged in short order.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Going to a larger shelter regardless if the wt increase is nominal plays into the misguided marketing concept that more is always better. That concept further played out in backpacking has possibly unforeseen negative consequences.

Don't be blinded, or unquestioning, of this concept. Consider and question your needs, not confusing needs with wants, and THEN make your decision.

You might consider others recommendations(opinions) are based on their needs not necessarily your own.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    ... What I could not get over, however, was the bug netting under the tent. I could just imagine it getting damaged in short order....

JustFYI,

Just FYI the bug netting stood up to the 2000+ mile AT thru and some more after. A few times I slept directly on the bug netting (well my sleeping mat on it) with the bathtub floor over me for additional warmth.

Images

My vote would be for the Solo Plus - that's what I bought (tarp version) and I'm very happy with it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    My vote would be for the Solo Plus - that's what I bought (tarp version) and I'm very happy with it.
    yep, the solo+ is palatial for one. We even use it now and then for two (my wife and I). I'm sure the duplex will be a great tent for you, but the Solo+ would have been plenty.

With the duplex you have the freestanding option, which will come in very handy, and give you a smaller footprint. considering the space needed for the guide lines.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    With the duplex you have the freestanding option, which will come in very handy, and give you a smaller footprint. considering the space needed for the guide lines.
    Doesn'ttahtrequire2setsofpoles

Doesn't that require 2 sets of poles? This person is getting it for himself solo and the extra room so won't have taht option.

What's nice about the Duplex is the ventilation in the summer when it is in "bug net mode"....
    Duplex bug net mode-1.jpg

I have both the Solo+ and Duplex. On the AT next year I will be using the Duplex for the extra room, dual openings and the deeper bathtub floor.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    I have both the Solo+ and Duplex. On the AT next year I will be using the Duplex for the extra room, dual openings and the deeper bathtub floor.
    The deep bathtub is something underappreciated by too many manufacturers. Kudos to Joe at Zpacks for the thought he puts into his gear.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    what is the freestanding arrangement? I have a duplex and cannot see that.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

It's called the Duplex Flex. Pictured below, it is an add-on external carbon fiber frame for those who insist on something "free-standing," but if you're like 99% of people and pitch your Duplex with your trekking poles, it is IMO a significant weight increase and cost for no good reason.

If you ordered a Duplex without the flex option, you can send it back and have it added on. But I agree with cmoulder, extra weight and cost for no real benefit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++