WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water at #49 Cabin Flats Trail Campsite?

Is there water in the creek at backcountry site #49 on the Cabin Flats trail?

Thanks for any info you can share.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Cabin Flats is located beside what I would list as a "major creek". It would be very surprising if there was no water available there.

I also came across a notice that the following camp sites were known to be without water:
    5, 6, 14, 16, 19, 26, 113, Mollies Ridge Shelter, Russell Field Shelter, Spence Field Shelter, Silers Bald Shelter, Double Spring Gap Shelter, and Pecks Corner Shelter. Other campsites may be without water as the drought conditions continue.
    This was located within the details of the current fire ban... which has now been upgraded to ban all fires in the front and back country camp sites as well as grills in picnic areas.

Images

The creek will be low but there will be water....

hookoodooku has it right about being a major creek....

but with drought, it will be low....

Thanks for the info HooKooDooKu and TNhiker. Much appreciated.

I was just at that campsite a couple of weeks ago and there is PLENTY of water in Bradley Fork Creek. It was our first trip there, so I cannot say if the creek was "low" since I have no frame of reference for what it is normally, but if it is low then it would be a hefty creek at normal flow. If you haven't been yet, stay away from the second campsite as you walk into the area. That site has a lot of soot and ash from previous fires and it's scattered all over the site. The pic I have included was taken sitting on a boulder in the middle of the creek. We also had a doe walk into the campsite during breakfast being pursued by a nice 8-point buck, so the rut is on there.

Sunset at Cabin Flats (BC49).jpg

Also, when you cross the trestle bridge you're almost there. If you're coming in from Smokemont campground, that last leg will be the toughest part of the hike. It's a decent incline, but it doesn't last very long.

Tressle bridge on Cabin Flats Trail.jpg

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's a more typical example of what the creek looks like.

These shots are from the bank of the creek looking up stream from one of the camp sites along the creek at 49.
    The date is late June 2016. The orange shirt is my then 9yo son.

DSCN4920.JPGDSCN4900.JPG
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 12-03-2016 at 23:12.

Great pics, HooKoo.

++ New Posts ++