WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Have to agree with MH rice with chicken = not a dud, very good freeze dried wize.
    I bought one Rice with Chicken. I never did find the chicken. The flavor was missing as well. Personal opinion. YMMV.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    MH is.....not my first choice in dehy foods....

That said, Backpacker Pantry has some very tasty high-cal, high-protein meals, but about 20 percent more $ than MH.

Ihavealwaysfound

I have always found Backpacker's pantry to be somewhat off flavor wise. Obviously an attempt to be a more upscale meal then MH, however they seem to miss every time I try them.

MH is the basic standard, you know what you are getting, not anything more tasty than a microwave dinner, but you know that is the baseline and will not get less than that. A go to if you are in such a need and want a decent meal.

That said, Backpacker Pantry has some very tasty high-cal, high-protein meals, but about 20 percent more $ than MH.

We always supplement dehy meals with some peanut butter/olive oil/ghee to up the fat and caloric count. Same for trail bars at lunch...add peanut butter....breakfast is always blueberry granola with powdered milk, hot...Amazon Prime Pantry would work for my trail diet...if they carried BP...
    Thanks for the plug for Backpacker Pantry.
    Walmart again. I have no idea how the prices compare. I have seen them in one local Walmart.
    https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...ead=backpacker
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

If you like the MH meals the 10# can is way cheaper if you have bags to split into..only last about a week once opened per mfg....I'm a lowly weekend warrior and find most backpacking DH or freeze dried meals not very good except for a select few and yes I've tried lots....
    Hawk vittles and packit gourmet are pretty good across the board but I have found about 6 that I really like. They are a little more $ but much better. Most of the time a block of Cabot seriously sharp cheddar, Hawaiian sweet roll or crackers and pepperoni tastes better and is cheaper than most dehydrated garbage.....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    If you like the MH meals the 10# can is way cheaper if you have bags to split into..only last about a week once opened per mfg....I'm a lowly weekend warrior and find most backpacking DH or freeze dried meals not very good except for a select few and yes I've tried lots....
    Hawk vittles and packit gourmet are pretty good across the board but I have found about 6 that I really like. They are a little more $ but much better. Most of the time a block of Cabot seriously sharp cheddar, Hawaiian sweet roll or crackers and pepperoni tastes better and is cheaper than most dehydrated garbage.....

I've tried every brand of dehy. Some brands(Alpinaire) are just awful. MH is pretty bad. BP is pretty good. YMMV. BP Pad Thai is darn good. The deserts are tasty. If you choose the product carefully, it will be high-cal, high-pro. As I said, we always supplement dehy with high-cal, high-fat products that improve the flavor of the dehy dramatically. We often pack in a tasty fresh meal for the first night, but after that we are good with dehy, granola, peanut butter and bars. YMMV. If we are hiking correctly, we are too tired to be concerned with elaborate prep/cooking and flavor takes a backseat to calories/protein/fat. A good cuppa cocoa at night and a good cuppa tea in the morning are all the flavor I need on the trail. I just don't need inedible flavor(Alpineaire, Wise) in my dehy....

Images

Interesting concept! Being a long term mail-resupply person myself, however, my first impression is that the amazon thing sounds good, but in practice, would not work well.

For one thing, one can get huge discounts on freeze dried meals by buying in bulk, check out the various websites for their #10 cans of stuff, etc. One of our favorites is maryjanesfarm.org (any weed jokes?) , they sell 3-pound bags of freeze dried meals and we love the taste.

Quick look at amazon prices tells me those are more expensive than bulk freeze dried stuff. Also, Costco, at least our Costco, runs 10-meal MH meals for $40 often, 4 bucks per double meal, about the same as bulk prices. One can also buy cubic yards of other food items at about half of grocery store prices at such places (Costco, Sam's, Walmart). Once you hone in on what you actually do want to see in your pre-prepared resupply boxes, it really is easy to do the mail thing, and postage is not that big a deal in the total cost, as long as you do buy in bulk, where the cost savings more than make up for postage prices. I also like the huge on-trail time saving thing; when I pick up a box, everything is ready to go, no time needed in towns shopping, slide food bags into my "bear bag" and I'm ready to go do other things.

I do still like the Amazon idea, might have to give it a closer look, thanks for posting.

Journal Entries
    Images

H I T C H that is genius, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by H I T C H View Post
    If you are going to use Amazon for your resupply, you could pre - load all of your mail drop locations in your address book. This might make things easier down the line. I have also heard of Amazon being used for gear replacement on the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Amazon uses UPS and USPS and several weird combos of both through third party shipping companies. They look at the destination address and figure out the cheapest way to get it there within their two day guarantee'd shipping window. (They don't always get it there within two days, but it's a rarity when they don't, and I call and they give me a five buck gift code.)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Would this be useful for post office mail-dropping too? Does Amazon use USPS? Or UPS and/or FedEx? Because UPS won't deliver to post offices in my business experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Yuck....I can't imagine trying to choke down MH for months at a time! I couldn't eat it for 6 days on the JMT....I ended up giving away the 10# can of MH lasagna from resupply bucket at a MTR last year....

They are best eaten after you've already hiked for a couple of months.
    I've never cared for them but a guy was giving me some he didn't like towards the end of a thru. I was devouring those things.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

We always supplement dehy meals with some peanut butter/olive oil/ghee to up the fat and caloric count. Same for trail bars at lunch...add peanut butter....breakfast is always blueberry granola with powdered milk, hot...Amazon Prime Pantry would work for my trail diet...if they carried BP...
    Ask and Ye shall receive. Backpacker Pantry at Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...ix=backpackers
    Wayne

The discussion has mentioned Amazon, but can anyone point me to businesses that cater to hiker resupply with an online shopping list and/or other options for online shopping and mailing vs faffing around in town when I'd rather be doing something else like chilling, sleeping or eating! Does Walmart ship to P.O addresses? I'd like to find a company with a decent menu selection of products that can ship out smaller portions in a cost effective way to avoid wasting food you don't need nor want to carry. I spent a bit of time searching, but if you have a link I'd appreciated being point to it/them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++