WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default JMT subject to reroute

Just curious if the JMT is subject to the same type of changes the trail along the AT corridor goes through. Specifically, if I buy the map set now for the JMT, how much would I expect the trail routing to change in 5-10 years when I can go thru hike it?!

Journal Entries

Not really
    But anythings possible
    Landslides take out trail, etc

Say it happens. Its what, $13 for harrison maps?

Print out postholers maps for free for now

Maps get improved over time , and you will likely want latest anyway

Good info!

Mainly switchback like changes. In '13 there were trail crews re routing the trail away from a lake so in a few years it wouldn't look like a frat house had been there and another working on rock stairs but nothing like when the ATC purchased land and reroutes several miles of the trail.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I saw several pieces of evidence that parts of the JMT have been moved... some minor, some a little more major.
    Minor changes included moving a well worn path out of a swampy area to higher dryer ground.
    Slightly more major signs of a reroute would be the National Geographic "book" of the JMT. The elevation profile included in that map shows a major (~300') dip in the path as you climb to Forester Pass. But the actual hike had no such major dip at this time.
    But then the JMT is so well travelled that you hardly need a map. The one exception is as you get near populated areas where there might be several well travelled paths (such as around Tuolumne).

Images

There has been major rerouted in the past but I would not expect it to change enough to invalidate your current maps.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Another plus with gut hooks JMT iPhone app....assume you get updates? Used it way more than my ETB atlas....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would not expect a high risk of reroutes to the JMT in the next 5 or so yrs. Shouldn't be of high concern that present map sets will be significantly different for the JMT 5 yrs into the future.

If all that concerned buy JMT map sets at a later date.

I have already bought all my JMT area maps so haven't explored this option but with some online searching you may not even need to buy maps for the JMT anymore. They can be obtained free by printing out yourself.

You don't say what JMT mapset(there are several) or what you're desiring on your maps but if you obtain maps of the JMT now buy ones that offer more than an isolated JMT small window corridor view. This way addresses your concern of JMT map validity to a higher degree if in the unlikely event there are route changes they will likely be on the larger area maps. In other words, look for maps that include the JMT but are of a much wider area but are of sufficient scale that include what you desire on a map.

Some people appreciate the bigger picture.

Look at it this way, how accurate is a 13 year old road map of the interstate highway system? For a few dollars get an up-to-date map of the planned route and avoid problems old information can cause.

Journal Entries

No need for map
    Just follow horse $hit

Images

Not sure what your asking, but the terrain does not change.... so who cares if the trail moves around a bit? The JMT is a piece of cake to follow, we carried maps, but only used them to see what was around us as we trekked along, which peaks are which, which lakes, etc. One doesn't really need maps at all along the JMT, but I like them in such terrain, as opposed to along the AT where maps, though cool to look at, have practically zero use.

All that being said, as has been said, just peruse postholer maps now on your screen, for planning or fun or whatever you need them for now, then print the latest when you actually go, and voila!

I've switched to "caltopo.com" for my own map needs these days, lots of options on caltopo, just import a JMT GPS track and you can really see what you're doing.

Thru hiking the JMT is a bucket list item, with maps stoking the fire to do it. Thanks for the input!!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No need for map
    Just follow horse $hit
    I wouldn't advise that as pack animals are used on other trails that junction with the JMT. IMO, the side trails are more used by pack animals than the JMT so easy to get off the JMT by following your rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No need for map
    Just follow horse $hit
    So True.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Those were mules.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Thru hiking the JMT is a bucket list item, with maps stoking the fire to do it. Thanks for the input!!
    Well, the times they are a changing.

Big changes in the works for JMT in future due to too many people.

I heard the considerations were either you will have to specify camping area EVERY night, and stick to it, or drastic reduction in # of permits

There are honestly better routes to hike that give you the grandeur of the Sierra, while a lot less people.

What the JMT USED to be....

And thats the problem
    The new wave of social-media encouraged hikers want to hiking to be a social activity
    Just like on AT
    Without lots of people around, they are scared to go.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-19-2016 at 14:10.

"Just curious if the JMT is subject to the same type of changes the trail along the AT corridor goes through."

In some respects yes but the JMT overall has a much much larger buffering corridor than the the AT. The JMT is surrounded pretty much entirely amidst NP's, Wilderness Areas, and National Forest that's not likely to be as impacted by human development as say the AT. In some places the protected AT corridor is quite narrow compared to the JMT. So, overall the changes to JMT character and route is unlikely to drastically change in the near future. Possibly, the two greatest threats to the JMT are fires, man made and naturally occurring, and burgeoning human population demands.

It's not the bears that are the problem. It's the amount of humans and human centricity.

MuddyWaters, do tell! I'm all ears for better routes to hike!!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Another plus with gut hooks JMT iPhone app
    +1 on Guthook's app if you have a Smartphone.

I would be very surprised to see the iconic JMT be rerouted in any important ways, though it's theoretically possible. There are the passes to go over, which are not likely to change, and you still will have to get to the next one by some route or other.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Whoa, don't buy into assertions the JMT is crowded. It's certainly not compared to the AT, the AT during high peak usage, or the PCT within the NOBO thru-hiker bubble. Same principles and solutions that apply for AT and PCT hikes designed to be uncrowded, easy to obtain permit(s), experiences of connecting with Nature, and with oodles of solicitude can be applied to the JMT. It begins by breaking out of the cookie cutter mentality. Thinking outside the box leads to options and scenarios that you desire in a hike. It is the same principle/process for non hiking desires.

You design your hike without confining/limiting the hike's experiences to what others specifically have done...which is most often rigidly following what others previously to that have done. Break out of mob/herd behavior. Backpacking/hiking is a vast vehicle to be a free thinker. HYOH MEANS ....design your own hike. Break out of the box. Lead rather than follow! Apply some innovation. THINK FOR YOURSELF!!! YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO!!! Don't be mentally lazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++