WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Neemor View Post
    Stoves might be enjoyable, but they aren't necessary. Stoves are relatively new in outdoor exploring. But I have nothing against them.
    I wouldn't say I enjoy my stove. I enjoy having warm food in my belly ; )

Also before stoves they still had warm food from campfires.

STOP TRYING TO KILL MY WARM FOOD!

Images

The folks at Gossamer Gear made a no stove solution for warm food, check out the crotch pot! It started as an April Fools joke until someone tried it and found out how well it worked.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like a small fire to cook fish on but not when there is a fireban!
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    The folks at Gossamer Gear made a no stove solution
    I saw that recently. I thought it was quite funny.

The folks at Gossamer Gear made a no stove solution for warm food, check out the crotch pot! It started as an April Fools joke until someone tried it and found out how well it worked.
    I saw that, got a good laugh.

I'm angry with GG of late because of the direction they are taking the gorilla backpack. Went from around 25oz in 2014 (great pack) to over 35oz with their latest version, terrible.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I'd like some updated pics of what the actual ground and forest looks like after these fires, esp in NC and TN.
    Google - Click on Image then add "North Carolina after the fire"

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

This one April of this year

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi Sandy, interesting post.... Uh can you say chafe? I am not buying into this, without some web connections. Really interested - help me out.

Woo

I've been hiking and camping for close to 50 years and still occasionally enjoy a fire. I don't build them in windy, or dry conditions, or where there is a ban for other reasons. I always thoroughly extinguish them.

Wise Old Owl---Thanks for the pics. It looks like the leaf litter is burning off and for the most part leaving living trees. Makes for some smelly future campsites---I camped on ashes once after a prescribed burn---it does have a strong odor. But not the wasteland I pictured.

Journal Entries
    Images

well its not you - its folks that do not know better.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Wise Old Owl---Thanks for the pics. It looks like the leaf litter is burning off and for the most part leaving living trees. Makes for some smelly future campsites---I camped on ashes once after a prescribed burn---it does have a strong odor. But not the wasteland I pictured.
    I regret not stopping to take photos when I hiked through the area outside Kent CT that had major a duff fire. All the semi-decomposed leaf litter burnt up and took much of the undergrowth and small trees with it, the mature trees were left mostly unharmed. New vegetation and wildflowers were quickly taking up the available forest floor.

One of the crazy things about that area is that the A.T. was clearly used as the fireline. With one side burn and the other side raked clean to stop the spread of the fire.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a thoughtful rub that even get's me. On a trip with a wonderful group in Delaware Water Gap, as we headed south, we ran across an old 1950's camp site at one point. - there were numerous signs that you were not allowed to camp here. The old site was below a ridge, protected from wind, and weather... ooops too close to a wonderful stream of fresh water. IMO the best sheltered place for backpackers. We were forced by trail runner and the team, to a bad spot on a windy ridge, where nobody in their right mind would light a fire, bit of a walk for water and want to camp unless you like campsites for a sunset.

The "assigned" place was stripped by a backpacker wild fire years ago with evidence, you could tell from the standing black trees.

I am just frustrated. I think the current placements of where to sleep are terrible. If I hike alone, possibly it would not have been an issue....

RS - please do not comment - yes you were on this trip.... this is how I feel on the issue.

Woo

Images

from what ive seen so far-----and these are with the fires still burning and active-----and ive been to the neddy fire (cocke county) and the quarry creek fire (one right behind the harley dealership at the entrance to the skyway) and have seen a bunch of the others that we have covered-------these fires are a little different than past forest fires in the south......

the fires are going up higher on the trunks of trees (as opposed to most southern forest fires where its mainly the undergrowth that is burning).......

i think with the drought---things are alot dryer and more than the just the undergrowth is being burned....

i have also seen them cutting some of the deadfall trees down, both the burning ones and just plain dead ones.....

and for the maple springs fire (joyce kilmer)---i have seen some photos of the trees that they have dynamited......

they dynamite them with a low charge and it gives the trunk a more of a natural look with splinter trunks......

these forests will thrive once these are done and out...........

the more interesting damage will be to see what kinda break lines that they have cut into the forest............

Hopefully no break lines in the wilderness areas affected---like Kilmer/Slickrock. Or the Cohutta. I think no bulldozers have been allowed inside these areas.

Images

Hopefully no break lines in the wilderness areas affected---like Kilmer/Slickrock. Or the Cohutta. I think no bulldozers have been allowed inside these areas.

welllllllllll..................

thats what im a wonderin'...........

there will still be break lines but hopefully they are just ones done with the rakes..................

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I have a thoughtful rub that even get's me. On a trip with a wonderful group in Delaware Water Gap, as we headed south, we ran across an old 1950's camp site at one point. - there were numerous signs that you were not allowed to camp here. The old site was below a ridge, protected from wind, and weather... ooops too close to a wonderful stream of fresh water. IMO the best sheltered place for backpackers. We were forced by trail runner and the team, to a bad spot on a windy ridge, where nobody in their right mind would light a fire, bit of a walk for water and want to camp unless you like campsites for a sunset.

The "assigned" place was stripped by a backpacker wild fire years ago with evidence, you could tell from the standing black trees.

I am just frustrated. I think the current placements of where to sleep are terrible. If I hike alone, possibly it would not have been an issue....

RS - please do not comment - yes you were on this trip.... this is how I feel on the issue.
    Woo, why you continue to be pretentious is beyond me, don't want a comment from me then kindly quit looking for reinforcement from me and as you like to say...move on! When I hike I sleep where I want in the areas the ATC has designated, if you can't handle that, hike another trail. That you'd insinuate you were force by a team is disingenuous at best, and for what it's worth that spot atop the ridge named "backpacker site#2" is one of NJ "beauty spots" had you not forgot your underquilt, or chose to leave it at home to save wait and froze your balls off is your own damn fault...
    I suggest you never hang your hammock on a bald, or sleep above tree line if ya can't handle to big boy views and airiness, but please for god sake take responsibility for yourself man...and quit yur bitchin'

Journal Entries
    Images

The last thing I'd want to do is put my food anywhere near my crotch after a long day of hiking. This is probably a joke on the gram weenies out there, and GG probably laughs at and facepalms every order that comes in.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Google - Click on Image then add "North Carolina after the fire"

Oddly
    Beautiful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++