WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Trowels

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I wasn't clear. people break the Coughlans solid orange one regularly.

Attachment 38015

the black Fiskars with orange handle tip is very sturdy and digs well. it is glass-filled nylon, it can even be sharpened. $2-3 locally...
    Attachment 38014
    Yes! That is the one I have.. mine is just faded from the sun. I thought that it should be sturdy enough.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    Oh come on. It's in a hole, surrounded by dirt, pee, and poop, and covered in excrement. I don't think this would be how the forest fire starts.

Toilet paper, much like recently fallen leaves get lighter as they quickly burn, even a small flame will produce heat that lifts the still burning material into the air where it merges with whatever breeze or wind is blowing and starts the process. Of course not every TP burning is accompanied by a forest fire however the evidence that there have been fires started by TP burning is irrefutable. Why risk it when one can take a few minutes to dig a proper cat hole and dispose of their waste to protect human health and not blight the sides of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Toilet paper, much like recently fallen leaves get lighter as they quickly burn, even a small flame will produce heat that lifts the still burning material into the air where it merges with whatever breeze or wind is blowing and starts the process. Of course not every TP burning is accompanied by a forest fire however the evidence that there have been fires started by TP burning is irrefutable. Why risk it when one can take a few minutes to dig a proper cat hole and dispose of their waste to protect human health and not blight the sides of the trail.
    This thread brought back memories of international travel from my younger days...

In many third-world countries, the toilet waste doesn't include the TP. The TP goes into a can. What do you suppose happens to the TP in the can?

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    This thread brought back memories of international travel from my younger days...

In many third-world countries, the toilet waste doesn't include the TP. The TP goes into a can. What do you suppose happens to the TP in the can?
    taken out to the woods along the AT and burned on a windy ridge amidst leaves and other forest duff?..

Wink Cellulose TP

[QUOTE=devoidapop;2122099][QUOTE=Midwest Mike;2122091]Two questions:

(1) anyone see a downside to this except cost? Sounds like a really good solution I never thought of.

(2) anybody know where this might be widely available at retail? The link looks like the firm only sells wholesale and a couple of minutes of googling didn't turn up too much in terms of amazon etc.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Use pure cellulose toilet paper. Water easily dissolves it. Pee on it and it's gone.

If it dissolves in water, how do you wipe in the rain? I know this has been addressed as a problem with regular tp, so can only imagine with cellulose tp.

Well, that would certainly be a downside :-)

taken out to the woods along the AT and burned on a windy ridge amidst leaves and other forest duff?..
    LOL!

Close. Burnt is the correct answer...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

Good thing the AT doesn't go through any third world nations yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Good thing the AT doesn't go through any third world nations yet!
    Ummmm.....West Virginia....just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    Oh come on. It's in a hole, surrounded by dirt, pee, and poop, and covered in excrement. I don't think this would be how the forest fire starts.

I was referring to the horrible smell that would result from burning used TP, and don't think that anyone would actually want to burn used TP, but thanks, saints of WB!

dirt in the woods is largely organic material called duff, that rooty mass of a rug comprising the first few inches you dug through to make your hole...not only does it burn, it can smolder unnoticed for hours, long after the hiker has left the area.

I wasn't clear. people break the Coughlans solid orange one regularly.

Attachment 38015

the black Fiskars with orange handle tip is very sturdy and digs well. it is glass-filled nylon, it can even be sharpened. $2-3 locally...
    Attachment 38014
    I'll check that Fiskars out. My Coughlans cracked last trip. Lasted a good while and did it's dooty well.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Resurrecting this old thread because of something related I can't believe I came across for only the 1st time today...

For the God-fearing among us... The Lord has instructed us to carry a trowel:

Deuteronomy 23:13 (NIV) "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread because of something related I can't believe I came across for only the 1st time today...

For the God-fearing among us... The Lord has instructed us to carry a trowel:

Deuteronomy 23:13 (NIV) "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement."
    Dangit, you beat me to it. I've been reading the one year bible on my phone and ran across this earlier this year. I was just waiting on a good time to post it.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Dangit, you beat me to it. I've been reading the one year bible on my phone and ran across this earlier this year. I was just waiting on a good time to post it.
    I came across this old thread today while doing a few google searches. I've been considering if you want to replace my 3.5oz Sea-to-Summit aluminum trowel with either the Deuce of Spades, or QiWiz's Titanium trowel.
    My biggest concern is that I still have problems getting a proper cat-hole dug in GSMNP (roots) even after sharpening my S2S to a fine point. It's handle means I have a good grip, but these thin light weight trowels only have thinness going for them in getting thru roots... but less of a handle to protect your hands when you want to use some force.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I came across this old thread today while doing a few google searches. I've been considering if you want to replace my 3.5oz Sea-to-Summit aluminum trowel with either the Deuce of Spades, or QiWiz's Titanium trowel.
    My biggest concern is that I still have problems getting a proper cat-hole dug in GSMNP (roots) even after sharpening my S2S to a fine point. It's handle means I have a good grip, but these thin light weight trowels only have thinness going for them in getting thru roots... but less of a handle to protect your hands when you want to use some force.
    I have both QiWiz and the Duece. I really like QiWiz’s trowel as the titanium is very thin but strong and makes it easier to get into the ground.

Edit: Ha! Just went back and read the thread and sure enough in post #12 I said pretty much the same thing. Lol.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I have both QiWiz and the Duece. I really like QiWiz’s trowel as the titanium is very thin but strong and makes it easier to get into the ground.

Edit: Ha! Just went back and read the thread and sure enough in post #12 I said pretty much the same thing. Lol.
    Yea... some of what I'm saying in post #93 above mirrors statements I made in post #6...
    But thanks for the reminder... at least one vote for QiWiz over Deuce from someone with experience with both.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Lawson is making a trowel now for a great price. It is a bit heavy but that sucker is stout. Also easy on the hands. http://lawsonequipment.com/Potty-Trowel-p1126.html

I'm on my second QiWiz Big Dig and could not be happier. As has been stated already in this thread, the thin cutting edge really does a great job on roots and hard packed dirt/clay. I have been using one in the Smokies/Virginia/Ohio for many years now and could not be happier. If the tool dipped handle end starts to bug me after a few days, I wrap a bandana around the handle. But I have only done that a couple of times.

What happened to my first Big Dig? Well, it was accidently left up at campsite #13 in the GSMNP after taking care of business when a nasty storm was blowing in. Somebody found a gift when they went out to dig their own hole.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++