WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Im pretty sure my waldies (size XXL) weighed 10.0 ounces new, 4 years ago. But now that I have nearly worn the soles through, they are lighter at around 8.5-9 ounces. i dont like the heel strap or the price of the new ones. i think mine were $16.99 when i bought them in 2002, when they first came out.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I found a pair of croc-like shoes at PayLess this morning that are made like sneakers. I'm thinking these would be much better for crossing water and more comfortable camp shoes. Anyone tried them?

Walmarts NOBO brand of Croc copies had multiple colors besides those listed above. I will double check for men's. My wife's, size 7, weighed in at 6.25 oz. Tan.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Here's my camp footwear of choice.... at 2 for $20, I can't complain...
    http://allheart.com/comfortclogs1.html
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadhe
    Here's my camp footwear of choice.... at 2 for $20, I can't complain...
    http://allheart.com/comfortclogs1.html
    Oh, if you decide on getting these, go a size bigger than your usual shoe size. They run a bit small.
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Walmarts NOBO brand of Croc copies had multiple colors besides those listed above. I will double check for men's. My wife's, size 7, weighed in at 6.25 oz. Tan.
    i bought a pair of the NOBO (northern boundry) brand from wallie mart and used them on my last hike. when sitting indian style the strap connection was pressing into the side of my foot and was quite uncomfortable. i have never worn crocs, do they do this as well ?
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

My crocs are one of my favorite pieces of gear.
    I have never worn more comfortable shoes or sandals.

Quote Originally Posted by fivefour
    i bought a pair of the NOBO (northern boundry) brand from wallie mart and used them on my last hike. when sitting indian style the strap connection was pressing into the side of my foot and was quite uncomfortable. i have never worn crocs, do they do this as well ?
    I don't know, I personally have Waldies. At least I thought they were Waldies but I bought them from allheart.com, listed above. But it was my understanding that Crocs bought out Waldies, yet the same company I bought mine from is still selling what look like Waldies . I'll have to pull them out later and check on this.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Crocs/Waldies/Whatever

I have three pairs of Crocs/Waldies (beige, black and blue - women's medium size.) The blue one without the strap weighs in at 4.4 oz for one shoe (8.8 total for two.) The other ones weigh in at 5 oz for one shoe (10 oz for two.) And the Waldies without the strap are the original which I got in Damascus upteen years ago. The others say Croc on the little button on he strap, but say 'Rebound' on the sole -
    made in Canada!
    jbchiker

Images

I love my Crocs also...only my Purple pair are 14 ozs and say Boulder Colorado
    my newest ones in Blue and Teal Green say Made in China and only weigh 10 oz...hummmmm still have the Croc logo on them.
    Either way I did a 4 mile short hike in them...they were light and comfortable.
    My rubba' sleepahs rule da kine

Hello,

Have sold the Sahalies in the past. They are much heavier than Crocs. Maybe more so than regular Tevas.

Thank,s
    Uncas

No man is an Island, but everyman has a peninsula.

Images

i saw imitation crocs for 8.00 buck at walmart neo

Quote Originally Posted by fivefour
    I have Crocs and they do the same thing. But to me it's a small sacrifice as I love so many others thing about my Crocs.
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally
    Are these suitable for fording streams with a sustantial current or will they be torn off one's feet? I mean when lifting one's feet over the rocks etc. Any experiences out there?

Thanks
    My Crocs have the heel straps and I've wron them all over the world in both streams and the ocean. The straps kept them from ever coming off my feet. I will say though that their stream-fording abilities really depend on the substrate of the stream you're crossing. They work fine on sandy or gravel bottoms, but are bad for rocky stream beds (especially if they're covered in algae!). A thin layer of felt would easily cure this if that's the type of substrate you're facing.
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    crocs and waldies suck neo

Typical Neo response.

I've never used Crocks or Waldies, myself. A spare pair of dry insoles is all one needs. If one insists on carrying extra weight, a pair of worn out running shoes (if you're a runner), or cheap Wal-Mart "runners" will stay on better in stream crossings and can actually be hiked in on most terrain if you develop blisters.

I may be old fashioned, but I'm not a slave to fashion.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

My pair of crocs are 330 grams total (11.6 oz)

I have a pair of flip flops that I use. Would upgrading to crocs be better for stream crossings?

Images

I use an old pair of wool socks for camp shoes! I would hike barefoot if me feet could take the extra weight with no support.
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

I like them for stream crossings - much reduced chance of stubbed toes / ripped toenails - also stay on feet easier with strap on heal - that said I still rarely pack them unless I know for sure that there will be a lot of hiking in water

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++