WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Sad to see the demise of Wesser Bald tower. From my 2004 section hike:

Attachment 37009
    Any pic from our hike during 2008 SoRuck?
    Trillium

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    So, this is the best you got? Let me get this straight: We have spent a gazillion dollars on university research only to PROVE that there is going to be change, but we don't know in which direction? Why didn't someone just go over to the philosophy department where they would have told you for free that the only absolute is that there are no absolutes? Or, to put it another way:

Two angst-ridden millennials are hiking up the AT. One hiker is a liberal arts grad (probably unemployed) and says, "Something bad is about to happen; I can feel it, but I don't know what it is. The second hiker, a science grad (probably living off of a government research grant), says "Something bad is about to happen; I have already proved it, but I don't know what it is."

I am glad that I hike alone.
    Now I think you're just intentionally confusing things. This isn't that complicated.

I did not say we that don't know what direction the change will be in. It's going to get warmer (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...globaltemp.jpg), and it's probably going to get wetter on average in the Southeast (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...pmap-large.png).

At the same time, and not contradicting anything I said above, the day-to-day and week-to-week weather is going to get more variable and extreme. That means that if, say, annual precip increases 20% in Georgia 50 years from now, more of it is going to come in intense downpours (hence, flooding). Between those intense downpours, you might get a longer dry period than you get now (hence, drought and fires). These things are not contradictory.

Images

dang...........

knew i shoulda posted this in Straight Forward.............

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Would want to get the steel inspected also. Steel is not as fire resistant as most think.
    Heavy timber construction is more fire resistant than steel framed construction.
    I agree it should be inspected if it was able to burn up the deck. I'm amazed it even reached the deck. There's not much of anything under it but dirt, seems like the whole surrounding area would have to be an inferno.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    dang...........

knew i shoulda posted this in Straight Forward.............
    And miss all of this fun? Here is some potential good news. The link to Romantic Asheville mentioned above now reads:

"November 2016 Update: Great news! The tower survived the forest fire, contrary to earlier reports."
    https://www.romanticasheville.com/wesser_bald_tower.htm

And, that bastion of scientific proof, Wikepedia, which yesterday stated that the tower had burned, now reads:

"The Fire Tower was originally reported as destroyed during the forest fires which ravaged the Nantahala Forest in November, 2016 but it was later learned that it survived."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesser_Bald

However, stay tuned; it has already been scientifically proven that the tower will soon be destroyed by either fire or flood. Termite reports are not available

Images

All the talk lately about fake news. This one gave me a scare. I'm glad the tower still stands. I had hoped to hike the section from the N.O.C south to Winding Stair Gap this November. I skipped this section in 1982 during a section hike south from Damascus and have had visions of being up on that fire tower for a long time. I can't wait to climb it when the trail opens back up. However, it appears I have paid for my yellow blazing sins!

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    ...Here is some potential good news.

The tower survived the forest fire, contrary to earlier reports."

And, that bastion of scientific proof, Wikepedia, which yesterday stated that the tower had burned, now reads:

"The Fire Tower was originally reported as destroyed during the forest fires which ravaged the Nantahala Forest in November, 2016 but it was later learned that it survived."

However, stay tuned; it has already been scientifically proven that the tower will soon be destroyed by either fire or flood. Termite reports are not available

he he he. So you're back to believing media accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    No, not really. I just figured that it would cause more stress if I typed, "If a tower burned down in a forest and no one was around to see it, did it really burn down?'

I really hope the reports that Wesser platform is still standing are correct. I have never walked by there without taking time out to enjoy the view over tops of the trees in that area...and have even slept up there a couple times.
    I was surprised to think it had burnt since there is very little vegetation real close to the platform.

I personally see global warming every day when the sun rises and global cooling every evening when it sets.
    My experience is that even meteorologists and climate scientists have a hard time seeing much farther beyond that and being right in their predictions.
    There has been undeniable global cooling predictions and undeniable global warming predictions made in just my lifetime.
    Those didn't work out, so the wording was adjusted to "climate change". No one can be wrong with an all encompassing term like that.
    I can guarantee you that climate change happens every day....and I embrace it.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post
    All the talk lately about fake news. This one gave me a scare. I'm glad the tower still stands. I had hoped to hike the section from the N.O.C south to Winding Stair Gap this November. I skipped this section in 1982 during a section hike south from Damascus and have had visions of being up on that fire tower for a long time. I can't wait to climb it when the trail opens back up. However, it appears I have paid for my yellow blazing sins!
    This is such a great section to hike. Try it northbound from WSG to the NOC. Great place to end a hike: food, beer, and a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    This is such a great section to hike. Try it northbound from WSG to the NOC. Great place to end a hike: food, beer, and a shower.
    Great winter hike...did a few years back from Standing Indian campground to NOC....Siler bald is a great camp spot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

ouch...........

that hurts..........especially since im in the media......

and thats all i was trying to do-----confirm if the tower had burnt down or not....................

forgot that by asking that, i would open the can of climate change.......

(oh, and i wouldnt necessarily consider wikipedia media...........close but no cigar)

Journal Entries
    Images

If they would just change it to "Climate Speculation" all would be fine.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    If they would just change it to "Climate Speculation" all would be fine.
    I'm comfortable with the definition of climate that I learned in the Dark Ages.
    By that definition, nobody alive today will be around to know if or when climate does change.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Yeah, this: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/us...ollection%2Fus

and this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nter-descends/

are just speculation. Who knows?! Maybe all those people in Florida are hallucinating! Maybe the Arctic sea ice is just hiding under the water somewhere! Speculation!

Lalalalalalala.... lalalalalalala.... we can just ignore everyone who disagrees with our opinion.... lalalalalalala...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it's just a tower. burnt or not

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's just a tower. burnt or not
    Just poking fun at those Massachusetts folks whose DNA is clearly missing a savanna happiness gene.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++