WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Keys Gap Parking - Heard some bad things

I've heard some not so good things regarding parking at Key's Gap. Granted, most of it comes from opinions nearly ten years old but I am interested in hiking the trail both north and south of that trail head in a couple of days. I will only be parked there for a few hours.

I have parked there a several times for short periods without any problems. There were two locals that hang out there smoking. They were not threating towards hikers, but it is a little odd to have someone just hiding out at a parking lot.

Wolf

Walked through there in September in good weather and on a weekend, and it was not heavily used; I think there was one car there. I'd imagine dayhiking and only parking in daylight would help. May want to consider parking at Blackburn Trail Center or ATC in HF.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I have parked there several times in the past few years for day hikes with no problems. I would not recommend leaving a car there for an extended time.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

++ New Posts ++