WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Georgia Water Question

I am planning on hiking Woody Gap to Dick's Creek starting this Saturday. Does anyone have an update on the water situation in that area. I plan to carry extra but want to make sure there are still some viable water sources.

Thanks

Journal Entries

NOT recommended. Best to just go somewhere else. Below is from the ATC:

Emergency trail closure (due to fires) expanded from North Carolina into Georgia

(11/12/2016) The A.T. is now closed from Dicks Creek Gap/U.S. 76 in Georgia (mile 69.9) to the Nantahala River/US19/US74 in North Carolina (mile 137.1). The status of trail closures due to wildfires can change faster than we are able to update this page—when hiking, please defer to the​ information and instructions you receive from firefighters or other Forest Service personnel on the Trail.

Note to thru-hikers: ​Please respect the closures for ​your own safety as well as the safety of firefighters and rescue personnel; you will still be considered thru-hikers and can apply for 2,000-miler status.
    Smoke affecting air quality in southern region: Smoke from numerous fires is affecting air quality in areas of Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia. Many areas may be unhealthy for those with heart and lung diseases, children, or the elderly. Check this EPA Air Quality Map for current conditions.
    Campfire bans are in effect along the entire A.T. in Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
    (11/11/2016) Campfires should not be built at shelters, campsites, or any locations along the entire Trail corridor. To reduce the risk of wildfires, hikers should also refrain from smoking or lighting fires of any kind while wildfire danger is high.

Due to extremely dry conditions, high fire danger, and little chance of rain in the immediate forecast, campfire ​bans are in place until further notice in the following locations.Chattahoochee National Forest (A.T. in Georgia)
    Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests (A.T. in North Carolina)
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park (A.T. in North Carolina and Tennessee)
    Cherokee National Forest (A.T. in Tennessee)

Backpacking stoves are allowed; use extreme caution.
    Other areas of the A.T. are also experiencing severe drought. Recently in New England, campfires along the A.T. have spread out of control and required firefighters to extinguish them. Be mindful that extended drought combined with recently fallen leaves and pine needles create high fire danger. Check the U.S. Drought Monitor for the latest conditions.

Always extinguish campfires completely until ashes are cool to the touch. More fire safety tips can be found on our website at www.appalachiantrail.org/campfiresafety.

Seasonal/regional droughts—Dry water sources
    (10/17/2016) Regional droughts in the Southern, Mid-Atlantic, and New England regions are exacerbating normal seasonal droughts. Please treat water sources listed in your guidebook as 'seasonal' or 'intermittent' as dry. Bring extra water containers for these areas and top them off when water is available!

Dry water sources that are reported to the ATC will be updated, below, in their respective states—these probably account for a fraction of the water sources that may actually be dry due to the low frequency of reports. Local Trail Maintaining Clubs, Trail Registers (at the shelters), and Trailhead kiosks are additional places to look for current Trail conditions including water sources.

Quote Originally Posted by rboles View Post
    I am planning on hiking Woody Gap to Dick's Creek starting this Saturday. Does anyone have an update on the water situation in that area. I plan to carry extra but want to make sure there are still some viable water sources.

Thanks
    I plan to hike Amicalola to Unicoi Gap starting Sunday and ending Friday. I have water sources identified and shuttle scheduled from Unicoi. Send a PM if you'd like to join me.

++ New Posts ++