WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chair/Stool - Helinox vs Mini Stool vs ???

I want to add a chair or stool to my gear, but my base weight is sub 20 lbs and I really don't want to add much to it. I have friends who have Helinox-style chairs, but they weigh in at about 2 lbs... a bit heavy for me. I've also looked at the mini stools (like those sold by Arrowhead Equipment and Grand Trunk and such) which come in less than a pound. They're very small, but I think I'm just looking for something to get my butt off the ground when cooking. I know folks will say, "Sit on a log!" and I am totally OK with that, but I've been in camp sites where there were no natural seating options and sitting on the ground while cooking just makes me angry.

I'm leaning toward a mini stool, looking specifically at this one on Amazon. Any thoughts?

I use this: https://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool

I find it comfortable enough for short periods of time, and I like that it can be attached easily to the outside of my pack.

I have 2 Helinox chairs, one the original and one is the "ground" height. I bring them on larger group trips, especially with my wife.

The advantage, IMO, is the chair provides back support, stools less so, more like a log.

I bought and returned an REI chair. Their underlying structure is oriented 180* different than Helinox and allowed the chair to sway sideways.

Images

My bear canister makes a lovely stool, ice bucket for town stops, drum, and protects my food from all the critters. Two pounds of multi-purpose uses. Just a thought!

There's a couple of companies making these now here's one. http://theultimatehang.com/2015/05/2...air-ubc-review I actually like the idea of it being multi purpose.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by efosterw View Post
    I know folks will say, "Sit on a log!" and I am totally OK with that, but I've been in camp sites where there were no natural seating options and sitting on the ground while cooking just makes me angry.
    Sorry I understand that you are definitely not asking for this kind of answer, but as I'm in a similar situation (being an office-chair sitter my whole business life, I find it hard to sit relaxed on flat ground for extended time) this is what I'm doing: As a pre-hike preparation, I do daily stretching an yoga-like practice to finally be able to sit on the flat ground for hours. No weight and cost penalty and (at least for me) good for the body.

Quote Originally Posted by efosterw View Post
    I want to add a chair or stool to my gear, but my base weight is sub 20 lbs and I really don't want to add much to it. I have friends who have Helinox-style chairs, but they weigh in at about 2 lbs... a bit heavy for me. I've also looked at the mini stools (like those sold by Arrowhead Equipment and Grand Trunk and such) which come in less than a pound. They're very small, but I think I'm just looking for something to get my butt off the ground when cooking. I know folks will say, "Sit on a log!" and I am totally OK with that, but I've been in camp sites where there were no natural seating options and sitting on the ground while cooking just makes me angry.

I'm leaning toward a mini stool, looking specifically at this one on Amazon. Any thoughts?
    Carrying a chair or stool is definitely considered a "luxury item" and unnecessary by many. However, my husband and I have chosen to carry REI's ultralight camp chair at 1lb.10oz and are always glad to have it after a long days hike to prepare and eat food or simply relax by a fire. I love that we can move it around too which is far more practical than a log. At our age (mid 50's), we welcome the relief and back support that these chairs offer. We've done logs a plenty and wrestle with returning to them now and again. One time this year, my husband tried to cut weight by going without his chair but ended up adding it back in the next trip because he was so jealous of mine.
    Our last trip included these chairs for only one overnight and my pack with food and extra water (drought conditions) was at 22 lbs and my husbands at 25lbs. That being said, it is also one of the top luxury items on our list to be cut if need be, especially on longer hikes.
    I appreciate the tips on stretching offered in this thread and it is important but at our age with the onset of possible arthritis in the back, these chairs have proven their worth in weight.

https://www.rei.com/product/877258/rei-flex-lite-chair

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got a small tri-pod stool...little rough on the twins.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I got a small tri-pod stool...little rough on the twins.
    One leg a little short?

My wife bought me an Alite Monarch for my b-day after I dropped some hints. Definitely a luxury and a bit spendy, but very comfortable and a welcome piece of kit.

It does sit low and only has two legs, so it's not the easiest thing to get in and out of, but still very nice to have around imo.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    One leg a little short?
    now that might work!

I take one of these, usually only when I expect rain so that I have somewhere decent to sit under my tarp. Luxury item to be sure. Anyway, $20 and one pound, relatively comfortable, not a lot to debate about it. No back though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Fol.../dp/B001ABPBI4

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    I use this: https://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool

I find it comfortable enough for short periods of time, and I like that it can be attached easily to the outside of my pack.
    Been using that one for years and I like it a lot. Sometimes though I'd like to have a backrest to lean into so I looked at the Helinox but the added weight made me change my mind. I can deal with a pound of luxury but two pounds means not bringing my camera and that's a luxury I won't do without.

I used to have one of those tripod stools, and it was comfortable enough, but if I can't lean back into a backrest, I'd just as soon sit on a piece of ccf on the ground. If I'm lucky, there's a tree to lean against.

Helinox recently put out a new model called the Chair Zero. 1.1 pounds packed weight, 265 lbs capacity, 11 inch seat height. I was about to pull the trigger on an alite mayfly, but this made me stop and consider further.....

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...inox/chairzero

I have noticed that the upper supports on the Helinox Ground Chair and Chair One kind of dig into my back right under my shoulder blades. I don't notice that same problem in the Alite Mayfly, Mantis, or Monarch. The most comfortable (luxuriously comfortable!) one I have tried was the Helinox Beach Chair, but it weights 3 pounds....

How about a Keith Titanium folding chair.
    Little over 1/2 lb.

I have been using the alite monarch for about 3 years now and I really like it.

Goes together fast and packs back down easily and quick. Once you get the hang of getting in and out it is really pretty simple and you can simulate the sensation of a rocking chair in it too.

With chair, GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker(best new addition), canister stove, food, 2l of water, .7l of tequilla, a full lime, and a salt shaker my pack was right at 21lbs for a 4 night 3.5 season hike.

I use the Pack Stool from camptime.com. It weighs 14oz.

I picked up an Amazon Helinox clone. Puts my base weight at 22.4 lbs. We'll see if I regret the extra ounces after hiking with 6.5 liters of water through drought-stricken GA this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    I take one of these, usually only when I expect rain so that I have somewhere decent to sit under my tarp. Luxury item to be sure. Anyway, $20 and one pound, relatively comfortable, not a lot to debate about it. No back though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Fol.../dp/B001ABPBI4
    I have this one as well. I used the heck out of it for the three weeks I was out this past summer. I take it for every hike, short or long. Every time I break it out I've had people envy it. Worth the weight!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++