WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What's your dream backpacking trip?

I've been inspired by Cheyou over in the ultralight gear forum . . .
    What is the one backpacking trip highest on your bucket list?
    Have you taken concrete action toward achieving it?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Right now it is a JMT thru hike. All I have time for with my current job.

Right now, I think mine is 10 days, or so, in Yellowstone in the heart of winter (hopefully this winter) on skis.
    I haven't figured out the routes I would take yet, it may depend on snow accumulation in different areas if it is a lowish snow year.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

10 days in or near Yellowstone NP is high on my list too. Without snow is more realistic for me.
    10 days on the Berg Lake-North Boundary Trail is probably higher on my list.
    Even I know that 1 is on the way to-from the other.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The Colorado Trail has been on my list ever since I lived near the southern terminus (Telluride and then Durango). First I had planned on doing it on horseback, with due to logistics and then selling my horses it has been moved to a backpacking trip.

I will be hiking it next summer

The Te Araroa is also high on my list, as it New Zealand in general, but while I still have dogs it's an unlikely trip for a few years.

Journal Entries
    Images

Colorado trail and hayduke for me other then the AT
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Mine is actually an AT thru. I attempted last year but only made it around 750 miles. Been planning a thru for about 20+ years and that was my retirement present to myself. But being I didn't complete it, I'll try again next year and am as excited and ready (better actually) then the last time.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Mine is actually an AT thru. I attempted last year but only made it around 750 miles..
    I am always amazed by the constant use of the word "only" by people who have attempted thru hikes. I heard a guy once who said he "only made it to Pennsylvania" from Springer. 750 miles is a long way to walk my friend. I don't live in a very heavily populated area compared to others here but I would be willing to bet that if I drew a 50 mile radius around my house and then proceeded to talk to everyone within that circle, I would be lucky to find 5 other human beings who have ever walked even 150 miles in one outing. A lot, if not most, of them probably haven't walked 150 miles in their entire life times.

Images

We're planning an AT thru when we retire, but before that I'd love to complete the "mini triple crown" of the Long Trail, JMT, and Colorado Trail. I also want to do the Camino, then spend several months walking around Eastern Europe and Asia.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

i am new to all this hiking but my main goal is the AT in a few years , I have been trying to research all I can and plan on doing shorter hikes in the Catskills and Adirondacks to help test out different things to prepare for the AT . I have gotten a few books to read up on as well . I am looking to join some hiking groups in my area as well to prepare and ask a LOT of questions. I don't plan on " trying " or " attempting " the AT I planning on leaving in Georgia and not stopping , I know there will be gruelling and hard times but can't stop til i reach the end!

Quote Originally Posted by penny b View Post
    I don't plan on " trying " or " attempting " the AT I planning on leaving in Georgia and not stopping , I know there will be gruelling and hard times but can't stop til i reach the end!

this mindset is perfect. I went and talked to several former thru hikers before my thru hike. They all said the same thing....tell other people that you are going to walk the entire AT. It sets a contract. Establishes a mindset. Don't leave loopholes for yourself . Good luck penny b.

thank you 4shot ! besides I a little to stubborn to quit lol.

Train to Colorado hike N till Whitefish.

Cheyou

I don't have a bucket list it's a done it list. It either gets done or it gets forgotten about. My first overnight hike was an AT thru in 2012 and I've been hooked albeit on much shorter hikes.

Since then the list has added the JMT, Grand Canyon R2R2R, Kalalau Trail and a bunch others on Kauai and the Big Island of Hawaii, Tour de Mont Blanc, Five Lakes Trail in Zermatt (Matterhorn), top half of GR20 in Corsica, Hot Springs Route in Iceland, Norway (Reinbringen, Bunes & Horseid Beaches, Trolltunga, Pulpit Rock & Besseggen Ridge) and 7 Great Walks in New Zealand.

My next trip is back to NZ to explore the south Island and to do the Overland Track in Australia. After that, I've begun plans to do the Inca Trail next year.

I may never be able to retire and wind up being a WalMart greeter but just in case I don't make it that long I intend to build an impressive list.

i am new to all this hiking but my main goal is the AT in a few years , I have been trying to research all I can and plan on doing shorter hikes in the Catskills and Adirondacks to help test out different things to prepare for the AT . I have gotten a few books to read up on as well . I am looking to join some hiking groups in my area as well to prepare and ask a LOT of questions. I don't plan on " trying " or " attempting " the AT I planning on leaving in Georgia and not stopping , I know there will be gruelling and hard times but can't stop til i reach the end!
    Your library should include The Complete Walker or The New Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. There are newer editions but I'm not familiar with them.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

A leisurely AT section starting late summer. Northbound from Harriman State Park NY to somewhere in New Hampshire. If I want, take a day off to watch turtles or whatever. No ambitions. Yes, I'll do that next year, I think.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Sure you can. Most people do. If you are not enjoying yourself, at least on balance, why do it?
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 11-07-2016 at 02:09.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

JMT thru hike, a month in Yellowstone and several long weekends in the Adirondack's.

An AT thru with my husband with enough time to explore some of the side trails/views/etc but not excessively with the ability to stay in some of the nicer hostels/hotels along the way as we want/need but with 95% of our nights spent on trail. Followed by a month or 2 or maybe more in new england visiting family and friends, possibly staying for "the holidays" (depending on our son and where he is living by then) and hiking more in the Whites than "just the AT." Of course this all depends a LOT on weather and timing and how long we can take be back with family and friends while "on vacation." 'Cause being "on vacation" can actually be very taxing when you drive about seeing a lot of family and friends.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I did 10 days in the Wind River Range recently and that might have been it. Glacier and the Tetons close second. The Grand Canyon I do every year and it's never any less than a dream trip.

Except for a few really bad weather experiences, it's all been one long happy dream trip for half a century.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++