WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Foothills Trail thru hike

Looking for info on the Foothills trail. Specifically, how many miles a day is realistic? Terrain wise, how similar is this trail to the AT? And what's the camp site situation like? Easy to find established sites? Thanks, everyone.

Great little trail. Highly recommend the pocket profile for $4.00...all you need. Water everywhere so easy to go light...I did it last April in lil under 3.5 days with my pup...I found it similar to the southern AT....maybe a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a great Shuttler that is also a hiker...

5 days was sweet for me a couple of weeks ago. Some people were faster, some slower. The terrain was more challenging than I thought and I hike in Pisgah and NC/TN border a lot. I included to Fork Mt. spur trail and recommend it. I did it west to east because of logistics, but if I were to do it again I would go east to west. That way it makes it an easy although less spectacular finish.

I'm actually planning on thru-hiking the foothills in the spring. I'm thinking the last week of March would be ideal. I don't know what the temperatures are like during that time though. Gonna give myself 5-6 days for the hike and carry 7 days of food. I can hike faster, but I'd rather take my time if I got it.

Temps can range quite a bit that time of year from mid-20's to upper 60's. It could be wet for a day, two days, all week, or not at all, but the rain would be my biggest concern.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I've done this trail multiple times. it can be done in 3.5-6 days...just depends on what pace you want. There are plenty of places to camp, plenty of water (although I know this year has been drier) and it is similar terrain to a lot of the AT. I like going table rock to oconee direction (west) better, but thats just preference.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I agree with what everyone else has said. I've done it a few times, took 4 days each time. I also prefer Table Rock to Oconee because I like finishing up with an easy couple of days along the river. The terrain is similar to the AT, but in my opinion a little easier - I'd say I get on average 2-3 more miles per day on the FT than the AT. If you give yourself 5-6 days, you could check out some of the side trails, too.
    -tagg

Definitely plan to camp along the Chattooga river...unfortunately I started late afternoon and need to make more miles so pushed to BFCG....went down to get water and watched a bear fishing. Awesome spot..listen out for banjos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by burge009 View Post
    Looking for info on the Foothills trail. Specifically, how many miles a day is realistic? Terrain wise, how similar is this trail to the AT? And what's the camp site situation like? Easy to find established sites? Thanks, everyone.
    Highly rec the FHT Guidebook and Trail Map particularly for first time FHT hikers. Even though I've thread the FHT three times entirely and have used large portions of it on several other trips I still like having the map to explore and adventure and still refer to the guidebook. It's quite easy to miss out on very worthy scenic very short side trips without having at least the map. This is a very scenic area in SC and where the states of GA, NC, and SC meet...the "three corners area." here are several SP's in this area with very worth trails that connect to the FHT proper. The small trail friendly guidebook offers mileage waypoints, descriptions of not only the FHT proper but beta on TH alternates, extensions of the FHT proper, campsite locations, side trail locations(that are often unmarked), and so much more. Besides, trails don't maintain themselves. Portions of the Foothills Trail Conference's book and map sales support this trail. http://foothillstrail.org/store/

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Highly rec the FHT Guidebook and Trail Map particularly for first time FHT hikers. Even though I've thread the FHT three times entirely and have used large portions of it on several other trips I still like having the map to explore and adventure and still refer to the guidebook. It's quite easy to miss out on very worthy scenic very short side trips without having at least the map. This is a very scenic area in SC and where the states of GA, NC, and SC meet...the "three corners area." here are several SP's in this area with very worth trails that connect to the FHT proper. The small trail friendly guidebook offers mileage waypoints, descriptions of not only the FHT proper but beta on TH alternates, extensions of the FHT proper, campsite locations, side trail locations(that are often unmarked), and so much more. Besides, trails don't maintain themselves. Portions of the Foothills Trail Conference's book and map sales support this trail. http://foothillstrail.org/store/
    For the first time foothills thru hiker, who has never hiked in this area before (not even remotely near), what documents would you recommend carrying on a foothills trail thru hike? I see your pushing the FHT Guidebook and Trail Map, how about AGG's pocket profile?

Just trying to acquaint myself the best literature for this trail.

Also if anyone has more insight on a late march/early april thru hike please feel free to share. Weather, bugs, etc. All is greatly appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's quite easy to miss out on very worthy scenic very short side trips without having at least the map. This is a very scenic area in SC and where the states of GA, NC, and SC meet...
    +1.

I cringe when I see people boasting about hiking the FHT in a short amount of time because they are surely missing out on the best that the trail has to offer. Miles can be found anywhere, but scenic beauty can not. Oh well... HYOH I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    For the first time foothills thru hiker, who has never hiked in this area before (not even remotely near), what documents would you recommend carrying on a foothills trail thru hike? I see your pushing the FHT Guidebook and Trail Map, how about AGG's pocket profile?

Just trying to acquaint myself the best literature for this trail.
    Last April i only carried AGG PP and was sufficient but as DW said the others would be nice since your taking your time....I had the usual time restrictions as all my hikes seem these days......I carried a 15* bag and wasn't needed. The low temp was probably 45....plenty of water....

I think the guidebook would be all you would need - it's all I've ever carried. Regarding late March/early April, that's a pretty good time to go. In my opinion, this trail is better before the trees leaf out (or after they fall) because you get better views of the lake than you do under summer cover. Not too hot, not too cold (generally speaking).
    -tagg

No bugs for me...

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

is a Foothills Trail thru-hike sensible in mid-December? What would be the risks?

With typical weather, yes. Reduced daylight hours are the obvious hassle - you'd have to be very efficient with your time and even then there would be a lot of time in camp. Getting up very early and hiking from the dark into the day would help. Much of the trail is conducive to night hiking, but there are a couple of places where you could miss a blaze or turn and end up elsewhere.
    If it rained then iced up then there are the obvious hazards. Not to say that wouldn't happen but generally that type of weather doesn't happen around here until after Christmas, plus it has been rather dry this fall. Look at the weather charts yourself, but for that time of year you probably have a better chance of a couple of sunny days in the upper 50's to low 60's than a couple of cold, rainy, and windy days.

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    The terrain is similar to the AT, but in my opinion a little easier - I'd say I get on average 2-3 more miles per day on the FT than the AT
    I think this is a accurate and excellent description. There are some parts of the trail that can challenge you as much as anything can in the southern Appalachians, but there is less of it.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Thanks, yeah I checked the weather predictions, a little bit of rain, but you know how that goes. Glad to get some feedback from those experienced! Think I just might do this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++