WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burge009 View Post
    Looking for info on the Foothills trail. Specifically, how many miles a day is realistic? Terrain wise, how similar is this trail to the AT? And what's the camp site situation like? Easy to find established sites? Thanks, everyone.
    I found the Foothills Trail to be wonderful and very similar to the southern AT and surprisingly difficult in spots. If you'd like to see photos of the trail, here are links to the three hikes it took me to complete the thing, including the spur.

Oconee State Park to Hwy 178
    Hwy 178 to Table State Park
    Spur to Jones Gap State Park

Easy to find established camp sites. Miles per day depend on summer heat, winter daylight hours, and the like, but are very similar to the AT in GA, NC, and TN.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 11-07-2016 at 17:16.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm actually planning on thru-hiking the foothills in the spring. I'm thinking the last week of March would be ideal. I don't know what the temperatures are like during that time though. Gonna give myself 5-6 days for the hike and carry 7 days of food. I can hike faster, but I'd rather take my time if I got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Temps can range quite a bit that time of year from mid-20's to upper 60's. It could be wet for a day, two days, all week, or not at all, but the rain would be my biggest concern.
    It's easy to enough for anyhow who is able to sign onto and post on WB to also gather monthly weather details by visiting one of the various SC SP sites(Table Rock, Oconee, Devils Fork, Caesars Head, Jones Gap...southcarolinaparks.com) or Mountain Bridge Wilderness in the area or by calling these SP's or requesting brochures(usually FREE), or obtaining weather from nearby towns. Without regurgitating oodles of commonly and easily found weather details this is a temperate upstate region of SC with prime March/April weather for hiking as well as spring flora displays. One will find some of these questions answered at the Foothills Trail Conference site. One can also ask questions and directly contact the Foothills Trail Conference at their site...http://foothillstrail.org

For the first time foothills thru hiker, who has never hiked in this area before (not even remotely near), what documents would you recommend carrying on a foothills trail thru hike? I see your pushing the FHT Guidebook and Trail Map, how about AGG's pocket profile?

Just trying to acquaint myself the best literature for this trail.
    What I'm supporting are ALL hikers, a comprehensive trail experience, and the trail itself. As PicNgrin said, "Miles can be found anywhere, but scenic beauty can not... HYOH.... " I'm also asking those to consider the region as the FHT is not some isolated trail. The FHT is just one named segment of trail in an overlapping interconnected trail system. The FHT Conference recognizes this as well.

The "best" literature for this trail, and for any trail, is dependent on many things so what's "best" is BEST determined by you.

I've thrued the 76 mile FHT between the Table Rock SP TH and Oconee SP TH three times from 2 days to 7 days each time. What I determined as the best literature was different each time ranging from having all the literature spoken about and two additional book segments, Hiking South Carolina - A Falcon Guide - by John Clark and John Dantzler AND 50 Hikes in South Carolina by Johnny Malloy a well respected trail writer... to nothing. Easy to gather I'm detail oriented(they are often import to me as backpacking is NOt just about hiking) not always wanting a get er dun hiking experience so I appreciate a comprehensive understanding of anywhere I hike which plays into my literature and research choices. In general, for a first timer new to the region again I rec the FHT map and FHT Guidebook. If you want to keep track of trail mileage through locations on a map and/or want to consider additional/lesser mileage or slight alternates I highly rec having the FHT Guidebook AND FHT Map. And yes I push these materials because, as a FHT maintainer and financial supporter, I know the FHT is in need of this support and will serve the greatest number of trail users.

Also if anyone has more insight on a late march/early april thru hike please feel free to share. Weather, bugs, etc. All is greatly appreciated.
    Your March/April hike will NOT have water finding issues. The FHT goes through a temperate rain forest. It's one of the prime waterfall viewing times. Waterfalls are what this trail(AND THE REGION) are probably best known! It would be a shame to miss them if you don't have at least the map.

Hopefully that helps.

I thru hiked the Foothills Trail back a few weeks ago now. Really Great trail! Mike was my shuttle, and I went west to east.
    What "realistic" mileage is - is pretty subjective. What works for one, may not work well at all for another. Hike your hike, as is said, as enjoy it. I will tell you that I hiked my hike and I loved it very much.
    You asked how it compares to the AT. I would not call it a hard trail at all when compared with the AT. Flora and Fauna are similar sure, but the trail is easier IMO.
    You asked what is realistic mileage. I did the trail in three and a half days - and averaged 20-ish miles a day. I wanted to spend sunset and sunrise on Sassafras Mt - so I did that, and it was SO Awesome and worth it! Otherwise I would've just finished toward the end of the third day.
    If you can plan to have sunset and sunrise on Sassafras, and if the weather is clear - do it. I'd definitely do it that way again. I had the mountain top to myself and it was amazing. Either a cat or fox screamed a few times near my hammock, which was cool to hear over the pretty decent wind, and I fell asleep smiling - looking forward to a hopefully amazing sunrise the next morning - which I did indeed have!
    You asked what the campsite situation is, and is it easy to find established sites. I'm a hammocker so the campsite situation was outstanding. There are plenty of spots to put up a tent and/or tarp too. "stealth" or off-trail camping is allowed on the vast majority of the trail - LNT of course.

I got the big map, the guide book, and the pocket guide because I didn't know which would be best. I reviewed all of them, and I carried the pocket guide for my hike - it was way more than enough, and more than sufficient for me.
    Want to buy an unused big map, and guide book? (I'm joking... I'll keep my unused stuff as a memento, lol)

Hike your own hike and enjoy it! I think you're gonna love the Foothills Trail...

u.w.

One of my favorite hikes, it's an easy hike if you're in decent shape, took me four days and it wasn't hard...just enjoyable walking, lots of water but you never get wet, no need to carry water, bridge engineering was interesting, we got to see where Burt Reynolds broke his leg and where the Mt man shot his partner.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    I thru hiked the Foothills Trail back a few weeks ago now. Really Great trail! Mike was my shuttle, and I went west to east.
    What "realistic" mileage is - is pretty subjective. What works for one, may not work well at all for another. Hike your hike, as is said, as enjoy it. I will tell you that I hiked my hike and I loved it very much.
    You asked how it compares to the AT. I would not call it a hard trail at all when compared with the AT. Flora and Fauna are similar sure, but the trail is easier IMO.
    You asked what is realistic mileage. I did the trail in three and a half days - and averaged 20-ish miles a day. I wanted to spend sunset and sunrise on Sassafras Mt - so I did that, and it was SO Awesome and worth it! Otherwise I would've just finished toward the end of the third day.
    If you can plan to have sunset and sunrise on Sassafras, and if the weather is clear - do it. I'd definitely do it that way again. I had the mountain top to myself and it was amazing. Either a cat or fox screamed a few times near my hammock, which was cool to hear over the pretty decent wind, and I fell asleep smiling - looking forward to a hopefully amazing sunrise the next morning - which I did indeed have!
    You asked what the campsite situation is, and is it easy to find established sites. I'm a hammocker so the campsite situation was outstanding. There are plenty of spots to put up a tent and/or tarp too. "stealth" or off-trail camping is allowed on the vast majority of the trail - LNT of course.

I got the big map, the guide book, and the pocket guide because I didn't know which would be best. I reviewed all of them, and I carried the pocket guide for my hike - it was way more than enough, and more than sufficient for me.
    Want to buy an unused big map, and guide book? (I'm joking... I'll keep my unused stuff as a memento, lol)

Hike your own hike and enjoy it! I think you're gonna love the Foothills Trail...

u.w.
    Did they clean up the logging clear cut mess at the top of sassafras? I was underwhelmed from the summit....I hear they were putting in a observation tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info, everyone, particularly concerning miles per day and campsite availability. I live close to the area so I'm used to the terrain. Hopefully a friend and I will be setting out on a thru hike sometime in April. Cheers!

If you're from Bryson City you may have hiked the BMT through GSMNP. Add a few more miles onto that BMT section and you have the FHT with a few more spectacular waterfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Did they clean up the logging clear cut mess at the top of sassafras? I was underwhelmed from the summit....I hear they were putting in a observation tower?

I didn't see any logging mess at the summit. West of Sassafras access rd. but east of where the white pine replant sign is - there's a bit of evidence of some logging in the past, but I didn't think it was an eyesore at all. I enjoyed the summit myself. The "road" on top runs east/west (more or less). There's a cell phone tower and some other smaller tower - but no observation tower as of yet. There is an observation platform off the parking area though. It faces west, more of less, so decent views of sunset if you didn't want to be on the top proper for some reason. The parking area is just below the summit.

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    I didn't see any logging mess at the summit. West of Sassafras access rd. but east of where the white pine replant sign is - there's a bit of evidence of some logging in the past, but I didn't think it was an eyesore at all. I enjoyed the summit myself. The "road" on top runs east/west (more or less). There's a cell phone tower and some other smaller tower - but no observation tower as of yet. There is an observation platform off the parking area though. It faces west, more of less, so decent views of sunset if you didn't want to be on the top proper for some reason. The parking area is just below the summit.

u.w.
    It looked like a tornado hit in April. Area around where bench and sign were...

Considering this hike for my trip that starts in 10 days...

For information, I like Awol's guide for the AT - which shows elevation and mileages to camp sites, water sources, etc. Which of the 3 previously listed sources of information would you guys think would be the best for me for this trail? Or should I just support the FTC really well and buy all three then decide which one is most useful?

I think I just answered my own question.

So, the only other question is about water sources - are they drying up like in NC and GA, or will it be no issue at all?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Or should I just support the FTC really well and buy all three then decide which one is most useful?

I think I just answered my own question.

My partner and I are considering this for a spring break hike, and I just ordered all three items. We'll carry whichever one(s) is (are) most useful.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Slightly different angle, but you can see how much was cut down behind the sign from a trip a few years ago to when your picture was taken...

ft.007 (2).JPG
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Slightly different angle, but you can see how much was cut down behind the sign from a trip a few years ago to when your picture was taken...

ft.007 (2).JPG
    Wow I liked it a lot better before they clear cut it.....

Images

I ordered all three and did the hike a couple of years ago. I read the guide and made notes on a piece of paper.for the hike I carried the pocket profile and my notes. Worked good for me.

I made a website that I haven't worked on in quite some time, but it does have pictures of the trail with a trail description. You might find it helpful.

http://georgiahiker.weebly.com/foothills-trail.html
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

I see. Yes, it still looks like that a bit, up on the top proper.
    With it being South Carolina's tallest peak, and the road and parking lot being within shouting distance of the top, I kind of took it as a "touristy spot" when I was up there. Having said that, it was still pretty outstanding to have the mountain top to myself that evening, night, and morning - which included an awesome sunset and sunrise.

I agree with you, in that I prefer the way it looked in tagg's photo.

u.w.

How's Verizon cell reception on this trail?

Verizon.
    From Oconee to Round Mt. Gap it was nonexistent even at Burrells Ford and 107 road crossing. Once you get past Round Mt. Gap and can see the lake you pretty much from then until the end you can get a signal often, at least several times a day, but often it is on 3G service.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Considering this hike for my trip that starts in 10 days...
    FYI.
    The 10-mile section of the Foothills Trail between Table Rock State Park and Sassafras Mountain has been closed as 30 or more firefighters battle a "significant" wildfire burning in northern Pickens County, mostly on State Park lands.
    Read more http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/2016/nov/nov10_wildfire.html

Images

Parts of the FHT are closed, several stair sections burned away. I have a few friends that have done the trail in pieces, and their joking name for it is "the footstairs trail". There are some sections that are surprisingly strenuous for South Carolina. You'd think you were on the AT in places. I would say that anyone that is from SC would do well to do a "shakedown hike" on the FHT before doing a long AT section, if they aren't sure what they are in for. I've done the whole thing, and a few sections more than once.

Like others have said, usually you have NO problem finding water for the most part. The only part that can get tough is the section between 178 (Laurel Valley) and Table Rock SP. It's an overnight (or maybe a long day hike if you slackpack it) and the only place for water is the Old Homestead campsite, until you get about halfway down Pinnacle Mountain. The rest of it - travel light because you're usually close to water. The last few miles into Oconee SP from Licklog/Pigpen falls can get dry, too, but its like a 5 mile section, so nothing bad.

This is the Bad Creek to Oconee section - a three day hike. Bad Creek/Whitewater falls is currently closed due to damage, but there is a road walkaround on the FTC website. Sloan bridge or Bad Creek is a good place for a car drop with a food stash. Carry less stuff... This section is pretty easy. Going east to west you're mostly following the river down hill, and there are several places to stop and camp right on the Chatooga.

This next section was walking from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek. Its more challenging and pretty remote. It includes both Heartbreak Ridge (which is a BEAST) as you close in on Lake Jocassee. But as soon as you're over it, there are several good spots right on the lake to stop for the night. After the lake, you're back up and over another beast of a section. Then its down to a river again and over to Bad Creek.

This one was going the other way - starting at Laurel Valley (178) and going over Pinnacle and into Table Rock. My friends weren't that sure exactly where Old Homestead was, and it's not on the map. I missed the turn for the campsite and walked 2 miles out of the way. I was about to give up and camp right on the side of the trail and just let them find me the next day, but I had just enough signal on my phone to get a text through and them to tell me they would be waiting on me when I came back. Two miles back... I ran out of water and was pretty tired, but I found a little creek. The video makes it look worse than it was! We had a good night, though, when I got back and cooked our steaks (to the chagrin of the boy scouts who were eating MRE's).

The FTC sells a large folding map with the whole trail back and front. Its worth it... The little yellow spiral book they sell is a great resource too, showing camping sites and almost a turn-by-turn mile-to-mile explanation of what you'll run into. All the decent campsites, water sources, stream crossings, everything.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++