WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What is the least you have spent on a Thru-hike?

Goldielocks's post regarding a thru-hike budget got me thinking the other day. Being a broke college kid about to graduate and starting my (hopeful) thru in March, I am concerned with my available funds. I have some money saved now, and will begin working full-time at a winery back home once I graduate, plan to work right up until my departure. I'll be living with my brother during this period, and he is kind enough to not make me pay rent, so I will be banking the majority of my paycheck.
    My question is, what is the least you Whiteblaze folks have spent on a true thru-hike (Springer to Katahdin)? I am in love with my hammock, which will be my shelter, so hopefully that will help me stay away from some hostels. I understand the need for the shower, a good meal in town, the price of a good resupply (I've spent too much time browsing the info here!), etc. It all adds up! Also, I am "going alone", so all I SHOULD have to look after is myself.
    Thanks in advance for the answers, anything you've got for me will be helpful.
    P.S. This is my first post here on WB, I'm getting the hang of it!

Though not myself. I ran into hikers that did the trail for $4000, not including their gear or transportation to/from the trail. They were mindful of their spending and budgeted per month how much they could spend. They weren't picky on food selections, and ate a lot of Mac and cheese, ramen, Knorr sides and the like. They didn't drink a lot of beer or eat in restaurants much. Staying in hotels was usually not an option, but would once in awhile stay in a hostel for a bed/shower. The hardest part for most is sticking to a budget and at a 6 month hike, $600 a month to spend doesn't leave much room to spare, but is doable.

I have posted this before and was called out as not being realistic for most...I agree not for most but it is possible.

He flew down the trail.
    http://www.2180miles.com/financial-planning.html

Check out his blog. One of the best I have read. I followed his journey.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I have posted this before and was called out as not being realistic for most...I agree not for most but it is possible.

He flew down the trail.
    http://www.2180miles.com/financial-planning.html

Check out his blog. One of the best I have read. I followed his journey.
    Texaco's blog was awesome, I followed him from day 2 all the way to Katadhin.

I am doubling his budget for my thru attempt but still planning on flying down the trail.
    2018 NOBO Hopeful
    OEF/OIF Veteran
    Blog: www.going-big.com

Images

While I am not a thru hiker I have been hiking the trail in long sections of 100s, 300, and 700 miles. I don't spend a lot of time in towns and take very few zeros (1) and $2 per mile is spot on for me.

I only made it 850 miles, but I spent 4 months hiking that far and spent about $1600. That was 14 years ago. Were I to attempt it again I would have at least $5000 available. I think the reason I was able to spend so much time on the trail and spend so little was that I very rarely spent the night in town. Get into town by early afternoon, get your resupply, shower, laundry and a restaurant meal and then get the hell out of dodge before the sun goes down. If you stay in town overnight you aren't just spending ten or fifteen bucks to sleep in a dirty hostel bunk bed. You're going out for a second restaurant meal. You're going to the bar. Then, well, you may as well go to the diner for breakfast in the morning before you get back on the trail. And you'll hang out at the outfitter and find something in there that you convince yourself you really need. You easily double, triple or quadruple what a resupply costs that way. So stay out of towns and take your zero days on the trail.

++ New Posts ++