WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CDT for first thru-hike??

Hi, all,

I am looking to start my first thru-hike next April/May, and I am undecided between the PCT and CDT. I realize that the CDT requires much more navigational skills, is more isolated, and has way fewer hikers (at least, this is the information that I have gleaned from several sources). For some reason, I'm more attracted to the natural wonders of the CDT more so than those of the PCT. Is it at all feasible/wise for one's first thru-hike to be the CDT (with the appropriate amount of preparation and study, of course)? I have only moderate backpacking experience, with my longest trips being only a week long, but I do follow the subject extensively/intensively, and have several friends who have thru-hiked before. Thanks!

I have known people who did the CDT as their first hike. Most went with someone with more experience who helped them learn the skills they needed, but not all. If the CDT is the trail that calls to you, there is no reason you can't do it.

The trail is not as hard to navigate as it used to be, and there are apps that can help you. Get Yogi's book to get an idea of what you are in for.

The CDT is my favorite of the long distance trails. It has the most beauty, the most remote and wild country, and the most wildlife but is still a developed trail with many well known interesting alternate routes.

That said, if you don't find a partner or a group to hike with, it can be tremendously lonely to hike alone all the time. I did the JMT many years ago solo and almost quit backpacking as a result. I loved the trail, but really missed having someone to share the high and low points.

If it is as you say, you're attracted to the natural wonders of the CDT, than it's worth considering CDT long segment hikes that allow to cherry pick experiences wanted - more time enjoying natural wonders. Very often the thru-hiking go go go gotta be somewhere else mindset runs counter productive to profoundly connecting with nature. The CDT thru-hiking window particularly of the three TC trails has a narrower window to complete plus it's possible 3000+ mile length often demands itineraries that demand constant regular higher than AT daily avg miles.

Even though I had over 15 LD hikes(thrus) under my belt, including the AT and PCT, when I SOBOed the CDT in 2010 I personally found it the most difficult to prepare for logistically up to that date. I went with the same desire as you - desiring to connect with nature and see as much as I could which led to a 3700 mile CDT thru-hike and that was ending in Columbus NM taking 7 months averaging an estimated 26 MPD. The TC goal was always secondary to nature and having a broader number of experiences than just backpacking. Despite additional non CDT proper experiences(mileage) in Glacier, Bob Marshall, Anaconda - Pintler, Grand Teton, Rocky Mt, Yellowstone, Malpais, Gila, CO 14ers, hot springs, etc I still knew I didn't experience as much of nature as initially intended as there is simply just too much to experience of it on a CDT thru-hike within typical CDT thru-hiking timeframes.

Doing the CDT solo even though a total of 7-9 went SOBO in 2010, with 4 of us finishing that I know of, it was a solitary experience. Even though I started on the same day as Snorkel and her hiking partner, who managed to somehow complete on a broken leg, I only saw them a handful of times and one of the others in Glacier not again until in CO.

@Dogwood, a broken leg?? let's hear that story!

Garlic
    Images

Be aware that the CDT really requires serious miles per day, every day. It's a long hike in a short season. Routine resupplies are 100+ miles, water sources over 20 miles apart. I also know hikers who completed the CDT successfully as a first hike, mostly younger hikers. You can't tell beforehand if you have the physical and mental (stress the mental) attributes for it.

I've heard of hikers getting lost daily on the CDT, and met some who got 10+ miles off course and had to hike back, a whole day lost. When I hiked it, I never got more than a few hundred yards off my selected route. I set the alarm on my watch to chime hourly, to remind me to plot where I was supposed to be and to make sure everything around me looked like it was supposed to on the map. Often I hiked with map in hand, checking every new view to make sure I was descending the right ridge, or heading to the right valley or summit. It was actually pretty fun if you like maps, and part of the challenge.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I'm more pessimistic about a first-timer on the CDT than the above posters. With no long-distance experience, to successfully do the CDT will have to manage resupply, water management, navigation (on and off trail), snow travel, and every type of weather available, all while making enough mileage every day to get to Canada before winter.

Most CDT hikers already have 1 or more long-distance hikes under their belts, so they have their gear, hiking style, resupply, and other basics dialed in. Not to mention, that those hikers also know that they are physically up for the challenge and are familiar with what it's like to walk 20+ miles a day for 4 months or longer.

Can it be done? Sure. But I think that the CDT is a bad trail for learning the basics. You just have too much to deal with at once. On the PCT, if, say, your gear fails, you are probably not more than a day or two away from a town (especially in southern CA). If you run out of water or get hurt, there will be lots of hikers around to help you. On the CDT, you will be on your own for long stretches, often far from any town, far from other hikers. If you wander off trail and something bad happens, no one will find you.

I'm not trying to scare you--just being realistic. If you have your heart set on the CDT, do it. But the PCT is a fantastic trail, too. Better in many respects than the CDT (more scenic from day to day, better trail towns, better grades, easier resupply). If you want a more CDT-like, solitary experience on the PCT, go southbound (but make sure you're okay with snow travel!).

Quote Originally Posted by cuiquentin View Post
    @Dogwood, a broken leg?? let's hear that story!

I didn't spend much time hiking with Snorkel and her hiking partner, who's name I'm not immediately recalling. Her partner had a broken foot or leg if I recall with the break occurring part way into the hike. That must have been hard for both them as they were doing higher avg MPD than me initially hitting the ground running while I worked myself into the hike also starting at a different northern termini. Going from high twenties avg with thirties occasionally to sometimes a snails pace shows how committed, determined, and loyal to each other they were. I always admired that about both of them. It's what I've come to expect with Liz in everything she does.

Beyond that it's Snorkel's story to tell.

THX for giving me the opportunity to reminisce. That was a great hiking year for me.

Thank you for the input, guys. I do admire and strive for the "challenge" of the CDT, but I also don't want to die and get lost every other day. I'm more and more convinced that I should begin with the PCT. This is a flawed question, but assuming the CDT is a 10/10 on the physical/mental difficulty scale, what would you guys rate the PCT (and the AT too, I guess, even though I have no current interest in hiking it)?

Images

As you can see from my signature, I did the CDT in 3 chunks due mainly to time constraints and commitments back home. I often say if you can only do one, make it the PCT. It has similar above tree line views and terrain to the CDT but has much greater use, so you will have company. On the CDT, I hiked with other long distance hikers for less than 20 days. I completed the trail with one of those hikers thru Bob Marshall Wilderness and Glacier. That said my hiking partner in the Bob and Glacier had not hiked other long trails in the US, though he had in his native France.

It will important you have good judgment to evaluate hazards such as fords of roaring rivers and traverses of hazardous snowfields. I did these alone on the CDT. Trying to avoid an extra ford, I slipped and took a swim in the Gila River in NM losing a trekking pole that was swept away. In WY, I was swept off my feet fording West Buffalo Fork. Luckily I was swept into an eddy and recovered. I had also checked downstream to be sure there were no strainers. I had quite a slide down a snow field and onto gravelly dirt at Adams Pass in CO that was very scary. Any of these incidents could have led to injury or worse. I had experience with snow travel and fords in Alaska, the Canadian Rockies, and on the CDT, but misjudged in all these instances. Since I was alone the risk was compounded.

Two things have changed since I hiked the CDT. First there are accurate GPS tracks for the trail and popular alternates. Second there are many more hikers than in 2010-2012. It may be easier to hook up with another thru with your hiking style.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Here's how I see the world: "AT. PCT. CDT. = Hard. Harder. Hardest."

Garlic
    Images

My rating, in order of hiking, PCT = 8, CDT = 10 (given), AT = 6.

If hiking the AT gets you a college degree in hiking, the PCT is your masters and the CDT is a doctorate.

Some say their first long trail was the hardest, and since the AT is a common first trail, you'll sometimes hear that the AT is harder than the PCT. But I hiked the AT last of the three, and thought it was quite a bit easier. I kept my fastest pace on the AT with the fewest problems, least pain, etc.

Some Westerners who hike the PCT first don't even want to hike the AT, calling it, with some undeserved disdain, "That training trail back East." They don't know what they're missing.

The PCT was my favorite, in terms of people, scenery, number of exciting days, fun town stops, and a new experience.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Some Westerners who hike the PCT first don't even want to hike the AT, calling it, with some undeserved disdain, "That training trail back East." They don't know what they're missing.
    It's that attitude that moved me back east!

I read some guy's journal, starting at Glacier Nat'l. Park. On day one he had to traverse a steep snowfield and had a grizzly stalking him. Nobody's mentioned the grizzlies. (Yeah, I'm a wimp.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Doing the CDT solo even though a total of 7-9 went SOBO in 2010, with 4 of us finishing that I know of, it was a solitary experience. Even though I started on the same day as Snorkel and her hiking partner, who managed to somehow complete on a broken leg, I only saw them a handful of times and one of the others in Glacier not again until in CO.
    2010 CDT sobo's: Wing It & Don't Panic (1st), Snorkel & Frog(ger) (last), Dan & Anna, Mike (of Naomi fame), Lost, Found (Jack H), Kambucha sic, Yaz, Heaps, Lakeland, Stretch,... some long sobo flippers like the Noodleheads. There were probably others plus those off us who turned to section hikers.

The PCT is a good first trail. In high snow years, the weather window can be short, plus you have to deal with the snow. The AT experience will make you a more efficient hiker, but that will be an indirect help in these years.

Images

Anyone heard of Lint's first of 3 CDT's?

Erin "Wired" Saver did the PCT, CDT, and AT, in that order. She just finished some hikes in Australia, and is about to go hike the Te Aroroa in New Zeland. She does meticulous planning, and there is a wealth of information about the CDT on her website.

http://walkingwithwired.com/cdt-2013

If you're goal is in a greater number of or possibly deeper connection with natural wonders consider using a trail, TC or otherwise, as the backbone but be willing to deviate from it or forgo recognition of named trail thru hiker status. Go out do your hike on your terms possibly without having the goal to be publicly recognized for it. Or possibly be the hiker who is known for doing something out of sync but still staying true to yourself for the reasons you choose to hike. You may not want to be just another cookie cutter hiker doing another thru that lacks originality.

I have long lost count of the number of natural wonders and diversity of nature and experiences I would have missed had I relegated myself to staying solely on "official" trail or for that matter sticking to a trail or being always in that go go go got to get er dun typical thru-hiking mindset. I can't say enough for staying in the moment, hiking your own hike, not someone else's, allowing for serendipity, and approaching any hike knowing LD hiking is not just about hiking.

Starting with the CDT as your first thru-hike would take a special person I believe.
    Someone who is more organized than the average person and pays attention to detail more.
    You can't just "wing it"
    You've got to know a little about finding water, hiking in snow, long distances between resupply, desert hiking, and of course route finding.
    Yes the apps make it so much easier now and it probably wouldn't be that hard to hook up with someone more experienced when out there.
    But, make sure you don't put them in danger with your ignorance.

On the other hand, it's the only one of the big 3 that I would consider doing these days.
    Way, way way too crowded for me on the other 2.

Before attempting it, Why not try the AZ trail or Colorado Trail first and get some experience in the problems that may arise on the CDT.
    The Hayduke trail is another one.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

As someone much smarter and more experienced then me said....you might want to do the CDT for your first trail....in case it is the only one that you get to do!

Except the Hayduke trail requires a level of experience and competence that a complete newbie is not likely to have. It is unmarked and frequently cross country in terrain that is not easy to navigate. Water is very scarce. You have to deal with permits in the NPs.

The Colorado Trail is more friendly to new hikers because it is marked, fairly well, and has good tread. Plus there are a lot of other hikers there in season.

As to your question: the PCT can be a real challenge as well. The heat and long waterless stretches can be physically and mentally draining. So are the snowy sections in the Sierras and the river crossings. I felt in real danger when we hiked there. Once past the excitement of the snow, the necessity of doing big miles every day can also be an issue. On the CDT we averaged 16 mpd. On the PCT the average was 19. Although the trail was generally well graded and easy to follow, I found the sense of being on a forced march hard to deal with. Dealing with constant rain and clouds in Washington was also hard. When we went back to attempt a second thruhike, I was shocked at the crowds on the trail. I still enjoyed the hike, but it wasn't a wilderness experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++