WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

lol. The Hayduke isn't a trail. It's a route. The natural wonders and experiences on the route are phenomenal though with basically infinite more natural wonders to be experienced by amending the route or deviating from it on occasion.

There's a greater than avg risk factor especially going solo. A newbie soloist with the Hayduke being their first LD hike is not something I can recommend. I could have easily died on that thru as an experienced fit desert hiker, navigator, and LD hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    As someone much smarter and more experienced then me said....you might want to do the CDT for your first trail....in case it is the only one that you get to do!
    That makes perfect sense.
    Thank you!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

I is sure they is people that would have no problem pulling it off...solo to boot.
    But theres prolly more that wouldnt have a chance without an experienced partner.

Its a route sometimes, moreso than a trail, I hears.

When desiring Nature and natural wonders combined with the UMPTEEN alternates of the CDT while attempting to decide on which to take it isn't the turn your mind off, follow the blazes and masses, or where's the next lean-to which AT thru-hikers are accustomed or even follow the beaten track of the PCT, CT, JMT, or LT type hike(during typical thru-hiker windows). I felt overwhelmed at times but always regrouped to the way all my thrus are laid out....by chunking the segments down into more manageable bite size pieces. Taking alternates to any good degree requires knowledge of how one hikes, what one is capable of for having accuracy judging food and water hauls, when to bail, what the alternates dictate/demand, etc. I had the CDT very well laid out as far as itinerary once I got to teh boots on teh ground phase because I planned for a NOBO for 18 months including figuring out all that I described... THEN two months before embarking had to delay the thru turning it into a NOBO because of unexpected work commitments.

Good luck if a CDT thru is chosen as you first long really long thru.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++