WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Motivated fat guy looking for help

Hi everyone,

So I've committed to do the AT thru hike starting in the last week of Feburary 2017. I am far from in shape, currently I weigh 280( down from 298 since the end of September). My plan is to lose another 40-50 pounds by the time I hit the trail. My eating habits have changed and are on point with the exception of a cheat day every week. My question is what kind of work outs should I be focusing on to get me as close as to where I need to be? Currently I am going to the gym 4-5 days a week. While I'm there I do 45 minutes on the elliptical or stair climber. I also do some free weights when I'm not burned out afterwards. I forgot to mention forgot to mention I'm 29, male, 6 ft tall. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks!

Everything I've seen lately says that high intensity interval training, HIIT, is the way to go. Combine that with weight lifting and you should have a good routine.

Also read where the elliptical is near useless for any real workout.

In the end, however, nothing prepares you for hiking the AT like hiking the AT. Get out and do some overnights and long weekends with all your gear. It will get you in better shape, and at the same time, make sure you know what you are getting into.

Good luck!

*Not a trainer or a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week.

First of all, you need to work on diet, not so much exercise, to lose weight. You can work on getting more fit after you lose weight.
    You need to come to grips with your insulin resistance, which is the main source of your weight/health problems. (and it will get worse as you get older).

Here is some key info:

marks daily apple - look around there, there's lots of depth and excellent info

Dr Ted Naiman, exercise- blunt info from my doctor in Seattle

Journal Entries

Keep it up with the wts and cardio
    Keeping your metabolism high is a prerequistite for effective dieting
    Cardio should be done intensely, not sedately. After 20-30 minutes you want to be dripping wet with sweat.
    Do it on empty stomach in morning when your body is low on glycogen
    dont eat for an hour afterwards

Awesome thanks guys, yea I've been eating right(I think) for the last few weeks, this is my average day if anyone has input:

Breakfast:
    2 egg whites
    1 serving of oatmeal
    30g protein shake
    Fruit

Snack:
    wheat thins/carrots and hummus

Lunch:
    Grilled chicken breast or turkey sandwich( no mayo, just mustard or avacado)
    Piece of fruit( Apple, orange)

Snack:
    30g protein shake
    Kind bar or wheat thins and hummus

Dinner:
    Chicken spinach salad with vegetables.

Before bed/late:
    30g protein shake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up tim ferris slow carb, it works great. In addition to cardio during week, I would add in a multi hour hike or bike at least once per week.

Default elliptical is good

The elliptical is often used by runners who are injured, and can provide a great workout. It's especially good for not stressing joints, which would be important in your case.

I would add long day hikes...make them longer as you get in better shape...

Your first 10 miler will leave you sore...everywhere...

You are starting this effort at a good time. Congrats on weight loss you've already gotten...

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Everything I've seen lately says that high intensity interval training, HIIT, is the way to go. Combine that with weight lifting and you should have a good routine.

Also read where the elliptical is near useless for any real workout.

In the end, however, nothing prepares you for hiking the AT like hiking the AT. Get out and do some overnights and long weekends with all your gear. It will get you in better shape, and at the same time, make sure you know what you are getting into.

Good luck!

*Not a trainer or a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week.

Thanks guys, yea I figured I would start on the elliptical to save my joints, my weight and 8 years in the infantry aren't doing me any favors lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The truth of the matter is that different food and training have different effect on different people. But here are some pointers:
    - What you drink is very important. Go all water, maybe with the exception of black coffee (no sugar). No Juice.
    - Bread in America is horrible. Often very low on fiber, to much salt, and to much processed wheat. GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread is full of fiber. You can't eat enough of that stuff. You should feel that you crap bricks.
    - Also, you can't overdo
    vegetables. Eat some with every meal.
    - What are in that hummus? Any sugar?
    - Don't worry to much about eating fat.
    - You should also supplement with D-3. D vitamin is not a vitamin, but a pre-hormone. Take between 5000 and 10 000 IU for your size every day. Take it together with K-2.

- Do some real weight training and some real cardio (i.e. hard bicycling). Some people also loose the same amount (percentage) of muscle when doing hiit training. Then it is easier to put on weight again. Do those really long walks in the weekend, with a backpack. Elliptical machine? I am very sceptical.

Also, have a look at this (I sleep in temperatures between 10 and 12 C):
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...arm-sleep.html

Cut out the "cheat" day! Too tempting to slide back into old habits by rationalizing once you've lost some weight. If the weight is going to stay off it will require a total lifestyle change going forward, something completely different from what went before that created the current dilemma.

The key word here is "motivated," and most of us don't appreciate what a serious word that is. When we are truly motivated, nothing can stop us; if we are not truly motivated, any little excuse will do. And it's the little excuses that doom many a plan.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 10-30-2016 at 07:53.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Cut out the "cheat" day! Too tempting to slide back into old habits by rationalizing once you've lost some weight.
    Actually, a free day where you eat anything and everything you want is beneficial.

It helps keeps metabolism from slowing down and adjusting to reduced caloric intake.
    Its also psychologically easier to stick to reduced calories rest of week.

Limiting it to about 3 mo at time before taking a break for a few weeks is beneficial too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-30-2016 at 08:03.

Totally disagree.

For long-term success what is needed is a total lifestyle change that incorporates aerobic exercise and good eating habits for the duration. One must develop a new self image as an always healthy and active person and not one who is yoyo-ing back and forth, struggling between workouts/dieting and slothful bingeing. That is a horrible way to live.

There was a recent thread here on WB about people who completed a thru and then fell back into their old eating habits, decreased or stopped exercising and put weight right back on. Very common even for successful contestants on The Biggest Loser who quickly fall back into their old habits once their temporary external motivation is gone..... and it starts with the "little cheating" rationalization.

I've posted this so often that I've saved it and now just do a copy-and-paste. Here you go:

Regarding losing fat, I can share what works for me. I hope it helps others. I'll try to keep it brief (smile).

1. Count calories. This is one of those things that no one likes to do, but for me it is essential.
    1a. It is easy enough to use an internet search engine to find the calorie content of just about any food, including restaurant food.
    1b. One can also use the internet to get estimates of the calories burned by various activities. For example, walking burns about 100 calories per mile for men, about 80 for women.

2. For calorie counting to be useful, one also has to know how many calories are needed to maintain and then eat fewer calories than required for maintenance.
    2a. My experience is that most people (depending on activity levels) need between 12 and 15 calories per pound of bodyweight for maintenance.
    2b. For weight loss I usually aim for 10 calories per pound of desired bodyweight. I adjust up or down depending on how the weight loss is going. 10 calories per pound usually works OK for me.

3, Aim for a healthy, balanced diet. That is, don't eliminate any food groups. I didn't count grams fat or carbs but did be sure to have at least 1 gram of protein per 2 to 3 pounds of bodyweight. For me this was 60-90 grams protein per day.

My quick example. When I weighed 224 I decided I wanted to weight 185. So my target for daily calories was 1850. I decided I would eat 2000 calories per day and walk at least 2 miles per day (each mile burns about 100 calories for me) for a net of 1800 calories per day. I was also weightlifting 2 to 3 times per week. It took several months (6-8 as I recall; this was in 2008) but I reached my target weight. I was past 40 years old at the time.

This can be as healthy or as unhealthy as one chooses to make it. I find healthy foods generally more filling. I used diet sodas for those times when I needed a sweets fix. I agree diet soda, or any sodas, are not healthy. Neither is being overweight. Everyone has to decide for themselves which is worse, the extra weight or the chemicals in a soda.

Building muscle helps raise the metabolism, but not by much. I see muscle and the resulting metabolic boost more for weight maintenance than weight loss. I've always enjoyed working out with weights and I continue to do so. I also enjoy walking and hiking which are great low impact ways to maintain weight.

The biggest mistake I see people making is underestimating calories consumed and overestimating calories burned.

My eating was more out of habit and boredom, and a genuine enjoyment of food. I had to find a way to stay occupied to stave off boredom eating. For me it was building and restoring old camp stoves. I probably have around 30 stoves in my garage of various types, some dating back to the 1800s. The homemade ones are simple alcohol burning stoves. It may be that finding a hobby, one that requires keeping the hands and mind busy but isn't so challenging that it wears you out, could help you too.

That's the essence.

My biggest claim to fame is that it is now 2016 and I have usually maintained my weight in the 180-185 range. Some days are a struggle not to eat, but most days it is merely an effort and I suspect it always will be. Seldom does a day go by in which I haven't kept a mental tally of the calories I have consumed. According to my Tanita bodyfat scale, I am a healthy 17-18% bodyfat. Not skinny, not fat. According to the Tanita pamphlets the healthy range is generally 10-20% bodyfat for young men, 13-23% for men past 35 or so. Women can generally add 3-5% to the ranges.

In the end, diet and exercise are important, but its not terribly important which particular protocol is followed. as long as calories burned exceed calories consumed.

Good luck with your weight management

I'd say continue doing what you're already doing. Lost 18 pounds since Sept and still keeping at it is an awesome feat! Combining weights and cardio is the way to go. HIIT training seems to very popular but like I said, I'd continue on the path you're already on. As for the trail, it'll help keep the weight off but realize the food you eat is probably not going to be as great on a thru as what you're used to. Coming off the trail at that point is going to be tough (it was for me). Stay committed, you're doing better than 90% out thee who start a lifestyle change (me included). And I agree, cut the cheat day.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I would add walking with a loaded backpack to your routine, one to two hours a day if you have that much time. Look for hilly terrain to walk through.

I am doing something similar to you at the moment.

Go to crossfit box that has structured classes and can scale workouts to your ability for your HIIT. Walk.

Lifestyle change.

losing weight is 20% exercise and 80% what you put in your mouth.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Totally disagree.

For long-term success what is needed is a total lifestyle change that incorporates aerobic exercise and good eating habits for the duration. One must develop a new self image as an always healthy and active person and not one who is yoyo-ing back and forth, struggling between workouts/dieting and slothful bingeing. That is a horrible way to live.

There was a recent thread here on WB about people who completed a thru and then fell back into their old eating habits, decreased or stopped exercising and put weight right back on. Very common even for successful contestants on The Biggest Loser who quickly fall back into their old habits once their temporary external motivation is gone..... and it starts with the "little cheating" rationalization.

Your confusing a person on caloric deficit to lose weight, with persons wanting to maintain, but have no willpower.
    Yeah, the average person has mush for brains.
    Or...despite whatever they claim....they simply dont care. They would rather eat whatever and however much they want.

Ive never understood how people can keep buying larger clothes when their clothes dont fit, instead of controlling their weight. One size, OK. But its not like it sneaks up on them size after size...they obviously simply dont care.

Extended caloric deficit results in less muscle being added, and lower metabolism and lower weight loss. Cycling the deficit to keep the body from reducing metabolism is beneficial.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-30-2016 at 11:29.

eat less, walk more...

...and eat more veggies, less sugar

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++