WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thru Hike Pack Advice

I searched and couldn't find the answer for this but I'm planning on doing my Thru Hike of the AT hopefully in the Spring of 17' (as long as I can save enough before) or having to wait to at worst spring of 18'.

I've done several 2-5 days hikes and have gear for that but I'm obviously cutting down my weight and updating gear for this type of hike.

I'm currently looking at the Osprey Atmos AG 50L and the Osprey Exos 48 for a good lightweight pack that would have enough room to haul it all the way.

Do you guys have any opinions on the two or other recommendations I should consider based on either prior use or just seeing/talking to others on the trail.

Just wanting to get some more information before going to like REI and trying them on and seeing how they fit and features for myself but that doesn't always tell the full story

The Ospreys are very popular on the trail. They seem to be very good packs and most of the people I talk to that have them really like them.

However, they are not for everyone. I tried on every one of them and they all felt terrible to me personally.

-

conventional wisdom is buy the pack last

get something cheap/ used whatever for shake down hikes as you accumulate your other gear - even start with a whatever pack and buy a replacement on the trail as you will see from others what works for you

That's not a bad idea honestly. The idea of going this spring would be ideal but trying to be realistic with money too so it will be over a period of time I get gear. Just trying to get ideas from people who know way more then me

Consider packs from ULA and Zpack. Both companies offer a wide range of packs.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

48-50 L is kind of small for even a April start when you still need some bulky warm stuff. 48L is okay in the middle of summer when you can really skimp on extra clothes and sleeping bag. Otherwise a 60-65L is more practical in the long run if you just want one pack.

Ospreys have pretty much taken over the backpack market and are the most common pack on the trail. I'm not a fan as I've seen a lot of frame failures and I don't like they way they move the load out away from the back.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto pack last. And ditto it's doubtful you'll get it right the first time, so get ready buy another. As you can tell from responses so far, pack fit and feel is highly personal, as well as very important. And there are many variables--your body's shape, size, strength and health, how much you carry and how far you carry it each day, even little accessories and pockets can be very important to some. Good luck getting it right.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you are already doing 2-5 day hikes, whats wrong with the gear you are using now?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    48-50 L is kind of small for even a April start when you still need some bulky warm stuff. 48L is okay in the middle of summer when you can really skimp on extra clothes and sleeping bag. Otherwise a 60-65L is more practical in the long run if you just want one pack.

Ospreys have pretty much taken over the backpack market and are the most common pack on the trail. I'm not a fan as I've seen a lot of frame failures and I don't like they way they move the load out away from the back.
    Your right is is in the smaller side for having to deal with the changing weather and multiple seasons on the AT. The plan would be to take the colder weather gear first and when it got warmer send the cold gear back in exchange for the warm weather gear so I'm not carrying it all

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    If you are already doing 2-5 day hikes, whats wrong with the gear you are using now?
    It's nothing too terribly wrong but like for example my pack is rather heavy and does already have some holes from using it over they years since I was in high school (25 now). I also live in Indiana and use it in the winter which hadn't helped it too much so it's one of the places I know I could shed some weight fairly quickly. It's more of me thinking if I can make this any easier on me then it's worth looking into it I guess

What about the rest of your stuff?

Images

People start hiking with a wide variety of different gear, but if you look at (and inside) the packs of experienced long distance hikers, you start to see a lot of similar gear. For the pack, you'll usually find a 3000-cubic-inch internal frame pack that weighs 2-3 pounds at most. Some Osprey packs for sure, but on the trail I mostly see ULA and Zpacks these days. The Circuit is wildly popular, I see a ton of them on the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

I must under pack......the circuit was just bigger than i needed even during winter....of course I only get to winter hike in the south east. For the most part the gear I took for the late September Collegiate loop hike was what I'd carry on a winter hike except I'll take another quilt to layer. I recently loaded out the 40l Gorilla with all gear Inc both quilts still fit fine....I'm curious what folks carry who NEED a 60-65l+ pack? I wear XL in jacket sizes etc so lil more bulky than a smaller sizes. what am I missing?

If a bear canister was needed I could see needing a 60l+ pack....don't think the 40l would work even with the Bearikade weekender...

I like the 60 liter arc haul. It weighs about 22 oz and is more than big enough for a thru hike. Good frame and ver y comfy for 25 lbs. But, you need to be more careful with it than an osprey pack. You cannot just throw it around. Need to place it on the ground. The fact that it is waterproof is very nice. It is expensive, lightweight and somewhat durable. Mine lasted an entire thru hike, but I met others that had the carbon fiber rods break or significant tears in the cuben.

Good article that reviews several UL packs......

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralig...r-Gear-Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    People start hiking with a wide variety of different gear, but if you look at (and inside) the packs of experienced long distance hikers, you start to see a lot of similar gear. For the pack, you'll usually find a 3000-cubic-inch internal frame pack that weighs 2-3 pounds at most. Some Osprey packs for sure, but on the trail I mostly see ULA and Zpacks these days. The Circuit is wildly popular, I see a ton of them on the trail.
    I'll defiantly have to check those out for sure. I'm obviously not set on one or a brand guy so I like to see everything that's out there and see what people who have used them have to say more than the usual marketing bull.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good article that reviews several UL packs......

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralig...r-Gear-Gorilla

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWorksHard View Post
    I like the 60 liter arc haul. It weighs about 22 oz and is more than big enough for a thru hike. Good frame and ver y comfy for 25 lbs. But, you need to be more careful with it than an osprey pack. You cannot just throw it around. Need to place it on the ground. The fact that it is waterproof is very nice. It is expensive, lightweight and somewhat durable. Mine lasted an entire thru hike, but I met others that had the carbon fiber rods break or significant tears in the cuben.
    That's the downfall of light weight is the trade off on durability. Anything I get between now and when I eventually hit the trail is going to get used quite a bit on hikes before the AT. I'm not super rough on gear but I still need to handle what I go through

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maizeandblue9 View Post
    That's the downfall of light weight is the trade off on durability. Anything I get between now and when I eventually hit the trail is going to get used quite a bit on hikes before the AT. I'm not super rough on gear but I still need to handle what I go through
    Yes there is a definite tradeoff
    But UL packs, with reasonable care, should last several thousand miles.
    Just dont drag them across concrete, or throw down and sit on them, or overload them, cram pointy things in them, etc.

My 16.7 oz cuben arcblast has about 700 miles on it, no wear issues except I rubbed a few small holes in it with bear cannister, easily repaired with cuben tape on inside. The dyneema is tougher.

Not sure what you plan to do that would destroy a pack before a thru hike.

No experience with the arc haul, or the new arc blast with adjustable suspension, heavier belt, and round stays and bottom stay to handle more wt
    When Joe made mine it was a UL pack, custom torso length
    And its perfect
    After 700 miles, for 17-25 lbs, I still cant envision a pack being any better .

Im considering getting rid of my last circuit (had 3) and getting a larger new one for winter.

Like other said. Get all your gear first. Then get a pack to handle it comfortably with at least 5 days days food and 2L water.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-30-2016 at 16:43.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++