WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cross posting from another forum I post to:

I get your point and am trying to justify an FD for my own family, but to do a fair comparison, something you are not taking in to account is the electricity to run your FD and the time invested to grow and harvest your own food and to FD it yourself. Also, you mentioned the bags, but what about the investment for the equipment to remove oxygen and seal them? Wouldn't #10 cans be a better solution to LTS and what would be the investment be to support that, to properly store long term?

To your point though, "quality" and "choice" trumps all and is likely the reason people invest in a HRFD, not cost or time savings.

Thank you for the questions. This is long but that's because I have thought about this a LOT before buying this unit.

I have not yet seen an electric bill with any significant FD use on it. And the cost will vary based on your electric rates around the country. I have seen others who run their FD "constantly" and yet they pay about $1/day to run it. I would say the same needs to be considered for any food storage method. I can on an electric stove and my dehrydrator, of course, runs on electricity. Obviously when I get my bill I will let y'all know how much I see in cost. After this week, if it's significant, I should see it in my bill!

This is what HR says about the cost of electricity.

What type of power do the freeze dryers use? How much will it cost to run?
    Harvest Right has taken every precaution to make this appliance run as affordably as possible.

Small and Standard

Our small and standard freeze dryers use a standard 110 volt outlet.

At peak, the freeze dryer draws about 16 amps, but on the average about 9 to 11 amps (990-1210 watts) of power per hour. A dedicated 20 amp circuit is recommended. Your freeze dryer will cost an estimated $1.25-$2.80 a day, depending on power costs in your area.

I have a standard size, 4 tray unit. They now also make a larger unit with 5 trays that are somewhat larger.

I wish I could grow and harvest my own food! I pay good money for good food. I want it available for travel (dietary restrictions) and for TEOTWAWKI situations (like job loss or a total collapse of the economy). Also, we are planning to hike the Appalachian trail in a few years and this will be a significant savings for that trip. Currently I am trying to get enough meals (and variety) for my upcoming backpacking trip this weekend.

As for method of sealing. I use plastic or mylar bags sealed in my chamber sealer. My previous vacuum sealer had been crapping out on me after only 2 years of use and I was eyeing a Cabela's "hunter's grade" sealer for around $469. Someone else on this forum was talking about chamber sealers. Chamber sealers allow you to seal plastic bags without channels which are MUCH cheaper than regular vacuum bags. I literally have some sized bags that are as cheap as 2.5 cents per bag. My largest bag costs 6.3 cents per bag. When I was using vacuum bag rolls I was able to get my most common size down to 34 cents per bag for the size that I mostly use (8"x12") however, I actually had less storage space due to the amount of bag the old sealer takes to make a seal. I figure I lost at least an inch for the seals. Which is not quite as insignificant as it may seem when using a lot of bags. I did get a chamber vacuum sealer for $679 shipped. And it does seal mylar bags, up to 7 mil thick, very well, though it's not "rated" for mylar so I wouldn't want to do large amounts of mylar. For longer term storage I will use larger mylar bags. Maybe. They are very costly. There are only 2 of us so we may want to continue with the small plastic pouches. We can always put individual meals that are in plastic into a larger 5 gal mylar bag in a bucket. That would give us the benefits of being able to open only what we need and the up to 25 year shelf life mylar provides.

A chamber sealer is really the only type of vacuum sealer I would use for FDed foods because the foods can literally become powdery very quickly and that is not good for the suction type sealers. Also, we do use this sealer to seal foods going into the freezer. And it works with freezing liquids which is impossible with a regular sealer without a manual control and still messy even with a manual control as you end up having some liquid sucked up by the vacuum machine.

Alternatively we can seal in mason jars. I know there are many people who use this for "short term" foods. Like FDed marshmallows and ice cream bars. Snack type things or maybe "staples" like rice. Actually, I may do this for a spanish cauliflower rice I just started making or my tomato powder next season (tomato sauce dehydrated this season and then powdered, I may use the FD for it next year). My chamber sealer will actually seal small pint sized (and smaller) jars. This is good as I didn't have to use my handheld attachment at 2am this morning to seal up the rest of my salsa. This function will also come in handy if I am using the dehydrator or FD to powder gravies, soups/broths, sauces, etc.

As for #10 cans. For us that's not a great alternative at this point. We could borrow a can sealer from the local LDS store (they loan them out free) and buy cans from them, relatively cheap. But then we would be restricted as to when we could run our FD as to when we would have the canner available. Buying a can sealer is out of the question for us at this point. I think the cheapest I have seen for a #10 can sealer is $2K though a quick perusal shows some smaller units for smaller cans to be under $1K. It may be a possibility in the future for us. But we REALLY like the ability for individual meals.

Now, most people DO NOT USE a vacuum sealer for their FDed foods. HR suggests their 7 mil mylar and an O2 absorber and an impulse sealer. That makes the cost of sealing, up front, much cheaper but given our particular needs for our particular situation (and the fact we were buying the sealer anyway) we went a different way.

Back to the actual food we are FDing. Some may call us "food snobs" or "whack jobs." You pick. But briefly, we eat almost entirely organic produce. Sometimes we can't get it and I will change the menu but certain things my husband "has to eat" every week (like his sweet potatoes). When we can, we eat grass fed beef or pastured, organically raised chicken/pork or as close as we can afford to. We do not eat foods with nitrites. We do not eat ANY grains or derivatives. That means no corn, no vegetable oils, very little soy, no wheat or rice products, no added sugars - including any cane sugar, etc or any of the fructose/sucrose cheap garbage put into foods. We make our own ketchup for the few times we need it, and BBQ sauce and Worcestershire sauce. I would make our own mustard too if it wasn't so easy to buy it without any nasties in it. This is how we eat EVERY DAY. We have been doing this for 5 months now and look at it all as an investment in our health as we have already experienced several health benefits. So how much do you value your health?
    While we can buy some organic produce already FDed, and even some meals, the cost is very high. So our cost is actually much lower and the longer we own this and are able to take advantage of seasonal price drops on this food, the bigger our long term savings will be.

I may have made a post about our cost of these meals. If I haven't, I will. I am posting similar threads on a few forums so sometimes a post doesn't make it to all the forums.

Back to the cost of storage. At 6 cents a bag, how many times would you need to use a mason jar to get your cost down to 6 cents per quart? Well, basically you can't as the lids are at least that much and usually between 10 and 20 cents each depending on when you get them and if you have a coupon. But then the cost of the jars comes into play as well. Even a smoking deal on quart jars, say $8 for 12 means 75 cents each. You would have to use that jar more than 12 times to get it down to 6 cents per use. Which for many people will mean 12 years or more before the jar per use cost is the same as my bag cost. The other cost with jars is the cost to store them. I had quite an investment in shelves over the years for my home canned goods. You need very sturdy shelving to hold all that weight. I know, I have hundreds of jars of various sizes, of food. And while I likely won't give up on canning all together, that is a very time intensive, energy intensive, process.

Variety: FDing offers the most variety for foods you can store long term. Hands down. Ever can avocado? You can't. Not safely and I wonder how that would work out on the other side! Ewwww. About the only thing I have found I can't FD are straight fats like oils though some fat/oil in the preparation of the food if you are cooking and then FDing should not be any problem. You can FD raw or cooked food. You still need a dehydrator to make jerky and not so sure you could/should FD jerky. But then again, that's probably not necessary anyway. A lot of the meals I make, there is no safe tested recipe for canning them. Dehydrating doesn't work very well when trying to dry things with mixed ingredients. Dehydrated food also gets VERY sharp and hard. This is why dehydrated ground beef is referred to as "gravel." Ability to rehydrate FD food is much better than dehydrated food. FD food retains it's texture, size and shape better. FD food also retains 97% of it's nutritional value.

So I hope this helps and doesn't sound too much like "I'm right and you're wrong." It's not meant that way. But you asked some good questions and my answers were not simple. And they are our "justification" for buying this machine.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Penny, I haven't researched this, but are there any other company's making and selling freeze dry units? I'd like to see these come way down in price before I could even think about buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Penny, I haven't researched this, but are there any other company's making and selling freeze dry units? I'd like to see these come way down in price before I could even think about buying one.
    Nope. Not for home use. And these are a little lower than they originally were but not much.

HR does have a layaway plan where you make a minimum payment every month. Pretty low from what I have seen. Interest free. And if the price drops while you are paying for your machine, you get the lower price.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Nope. Not for home use. And these are a little lower than they originally were but not much.

HR does have a layaway plan where you make a minimum payment every month. Pretty low from what I have seen. Interest free. And if the price drops while you are paying for your machine, you get the lower price.
    good to know, thank you.

:banana The most important test!

I was supposed to be doing a hike of the LSHT but due to reports of the trail being nearly knee deep in spots and an incoming cold front plus more predictions for rain, my friend and I decided to go to Big Bend instead. I had never been and it was an AMAZING place and a great decision. We had sun all day and we day hiked since we didnt have the ability to cache water plus this was my first whack at ANY elevation since I moved to Texas over a year and a half ago.

But I did eat my FDed meals just as if we were backpacking. Meaning I used my backpacking stove, pot, and windscreen. And I "cooked" the meals in the bags I packed them in and used my cozy.

My cozy was designed around the MountainHouse meals I used to eat. (ok, it's been a while since I went backpacking - before I moved to Texas). So the cozy is a bit too big and I will make a better sized one before my next trip.

The results:
    The meals rehydrated VERY WELL. I didn't have any problems with some parts rehydrating while others weren't ready yet. I didn't really time anything but with maybe 1 exception when I was very hungry, everything seemed to rehydrate very quickly.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled, breakfast sausage crumbles, mushrooms, peppers, jalapenos, salsa (and sometimes cheese). The eggs don't come back with their true texture. All FDed eggs feel a bit styrofoamy to me. I found this is less so when I break the FDed egg pieces up a bit smaller. The combo tasted great. The best way to add the cheese is to do it AFTER the rest is done and just stir it in and it absorbs the extra water quickly. I think if I want salsa on my eggs from now on I will make that an addition after the eggs and the rest is done "cooking."

Meals: I made pulled pork, beef/okra/tomato combo, pork stuffed peppers, my version of gumbo, fajita chicken with green peppers and onions and spanish cauliflower rice and roasted zucchini slices.

The pulled pork was so tasty that I had it twice. Unfortunately I learned what too much water does - dilutes the flavor. Lesson learned.

Beef/okra/tomato combo was fantastic and basically the exact same way it tastes when freshly made at home.

the pork stuffed peppers were almost exactly the same as when they come out of the oven, just a little extra liquid of course.

the gumbo I packed I hadn't even tasted it before I packed it and I make it a bit different every time. But it was very tasty. Maybe I should standardize my "recipe" but hey, where would the fun be there? It's usually a bit of a wet dish so it was very much like it is when at home.

The fajita chicken with green peppers and onions was FANTASTIC! For all you grain eaters, it would have gone great on a tortilla wrap.

The zucchini slices actually got several trials. They are actually good as a snack, dry, like when you are hungry and waiting for water to boil. I cooked them in their own pouch. I packaged them separately just like I did the rice.
    The Spanish rice was AMAZING. I cooked this by itself most times but also cooked it in foods that had no veg. It rehydrates so well and so quickly. It's great to eat while waiting for the main meal. I figure these sides are good to have especially if the main meal turns out to be just a little to short on filling me up. And at my packed size of only about .5 oz, it's easy to bring a couple extras.

There is some tweaking I will be doing. My bags are taller than they need to be. I can easily cut them down. I may also try a narrower bag to see if I like it better. The current bags are 8" wide which is similar to MH type meals but I think my bags have more usable interior width. So narrower bag possibly but at least shorter bag which will cut a fraction of an ounce off each package. I liked my meal sizes but I will be checking that on a long backpacking trip when hopefully some serious hiker hunger will set in even though truth be told, it's never happened for me in the past and it may not in the future. We shall see. If I need to increase meal sizes or numbers of meals it shouldn't be an issue as far as weight goes because the average meal only weighed in at about 2.5oz on average.

I also learned after the first series of meals and sides I packaged that I really do need to pack the food down at the bottom of the bag and not worry about crushing it. It makes it easier to pack it in a smaller space. And smaller pieces rehydrate much quicker.

Here's a couple of pictures of the latest load. Freeze dried organic colby cheese. I shredded it first. Each tray has 8 oz of cheese. The trays can handle more weight, much more, and maybe at some point I will increase how much I put on each tray. My main concern is just making sure the cheese doesn't get too clumped up on the tray and then not properly FD. Next up is scrambled eggs for my upcoming backpacking trip.

I package each tray into 2 packets and they weigh 2.5 oz from what was originally 4 oz. May not seem like much weight saving for backpacking but the cheese is stable this way and I can add it to any dish I want or even just eat it if I need calories.

IMG_3697.JPGIMG_3698.JPG

I've been pretty lazy lately with the food prep but I have a 30 day trip coming up soon so I'm back to freeze drying! There's a batch of eggs in right now and the rest of the weekend will be spent FDing the veggies to go with my eggs and making and then FDing my own breakfast sausage. Also took an inventory of the meals I already have made up and am planning what else I need to cook and freeze dry between now and the day I leave. We make all our own food, every day with very few exceptions. So I also have to make approx 74 meals for my husband and freeze them for him. I currently have 16. He makes his own breakfast every day so that's not a concern.

I figure I want at least 7 different lunch/dinners. that would mean I would eat the same meal 2x per week. I think I will actually have more than that number of variations before I am done though.

So far I have made and eaten:
    Pulled pork
    Beef, Okra, tomato
    Chicken and sausage gumbo
    Chicken fajita (without a wrap but working on finding a shelf stable one I can eat)
    pork stuffed peppers (becomes more like stew)
    and of course my eggs with veggies and cheese

I have made but not tried:
    chicken in tomato sauce - I like it when I bake it and it should re hydrate well

I also have a Moroccan Chicken recipe that I love and that's headed to the freeze dryer next week, and possibly the freezer as well, after I make it for dinner.
    I am also trying a cilantro lime chicken this weekend which will hopefully be a huge hit so that it can go into the freeze dryer as well as the freezer.

breakfast sausage and red pepper dices in the Freeze dryer right now. They will be ready tomorrow evening some time. I add these to my eggs for breakfast. I will also do some more peppers and mushrooms. I've already got a bunch of cheese done. I add the cheese after the egg mixture is re hydrated as it soaks up very little water and does so very quickly.

later this week I'll make morrocan chicken and freeze dry that along with a bunch of cauliflower rice. Well that's the plan anyway.

Mailing options:

So I am getting to be about a month out from my leave date for my 30 days on the trail. Decided to repackage the existing meals into the smaller of my bags as it was obvious the larger bags were just extra weight. This also allowed me to make a smaller cozy as well (only a 2 gram savings as I made it smaller but sturdier). I decided to box up what I have currently (24 meals) into a box I had laying around from an Amazon order. Weighed it and measured it and plugged it into the USPS little shipping calculator and found that I can ship these 24 meals to Hiawasea from my home, 2 day priority (hold for pickup) for just $14.15! I never would have been able to get all these meals in one large flat rate box. Those things may be bargains if you have heavy but small items to ship (like ammo!) but it's not a bargain on lighter items. The 24 meals, in the box, weighs less than 4lbs 5 oz. Now some of these meals are a bit small and meant to go with a side like cauliflower rice which will be sealed up separate so I would need a slightly larger box or just meals for a day or 2 less. But this is really cool stuff! Next up is packing up my backpack (now that my zpacks tent and sleeping bag came in) and seeing how much room I have for food. BTW, the box measure 14.5"x8.25"x7.25"

Made Moroccan Chicken. Had to freeze dry the chicken separate from the veggies and "sauce." I sliced the chicken breasts before putting them in the FD. The freeze dryer sits on a slant. This means when you have "liquid-y" things you need to pre freeze the loaded trays or it drips out of the tray. I don't have an extra set of trays so I lose time when I freeze dry "liquid-y" things. The chicken freeze dried pretty quickly. Just over 24 hours (I will have to check the log to be certain). The freeze dryer was due (perhaps overdue) for a power flush of the pump. This was good as I needed my husband to help with that (it's a 2 person job) and I needed the time to load the veggies and the sauce into the trays and have them freeze. The sauce for the 10 servings of chicken took 2 trays. I also loaded 2 trays with 12 cups of cooked cauliflower rice (was 20 c raw). This load took the longest of any load yet. A total of 34 hours. The sauce and veggie came out AMAZING. Yes, I sampled it before bagging it up. If I hadn't just done a power flush I would guess that I needed to do a power flush except all the indicators on the control panel were showing everything went as planned and the food came out good.

New load is in with cooked green peppers and onions for my chicken fajitas and some asparagus spears (first time trying that) which hopefully will make a good snack to crunch on.

only 27 hours for the latest load of green peppers and onions and the asparagus spears. I have some guacamole freezing and then that will go in the freeze dryer with some cilantro lime chicken and more asparagus spears. I may also make some lemon chicken and put that in the same load.

Default Latest out of the freeze dryer

Cilantro Lime Chicken (boneless, skinless thighs) and what I simply call "seasoned chicken" which is just boneless, skinless thighs seasoned with garlic and onion powder and cayenne.

I'm having major gear envy- your freeze dryer is awesome! Your critics don't get it, planning and preparing food for upcoming trips is part of the fun of the hike for me too.
    If you don't have a trail name yet I would name you "Foodie"

Can't afford a harvest right myself just yet. Just got to keep saving my pennies I guess!

Thank you so much for sharing all this great information. If you do standardize those recipes please share

You've had this a while now, and maybe you already posted this, but what is your energy cost for the last few months?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    You've had this a while now, and maybe you already posted this, but what is your energy cost for the last few months?
    I really don't notice it. There's a number of factors to that. This is our first year in this apartment. We were in a much larger house last year. I could maybe go through and look at my usage but we actually had a pretty cold winter compared to last year in TX so I'm not sure how good that would work out. I don't use this every week or even every month. I kind of go "in spurts" depending on what else is going on. When I get the bill for this month maybe I can see what it's costing us. My gut is that it's not much. I know some people who say that it costs them $1 a day every day they run it, sometimes less. We have a service that shops our electric rates for us and they just switched us so we are paying less than 5 cents/kwh and our first bill was a partial month for less than $21 (I think that was 2 weeks and included some heavy usage). My next bill should have "a lot" of FD usage on it.

SO I just looked up my electric bills:
    December was $45 (no A/c usage or heat on that bill!)
    January I paid $89 for electric (this covers part of December and part of January, covers heat, cooking, washer/dryer, lights,tv etc). - This was high and there were some actual freezing days through December and January. I did 4 loads in the FDer in all of December, and only 1 at the end of January so not likely more than 4 loads on that bill.

$68 paid in February (maybe 2 loads on this bill)
    $24 in March and then $21 in mid march (changed electric companies) possibly no loads on this bill
    April will have several loads on the bill. When I get back from my trip in May I will try to match up the bill and the number of loads I ran. We are already using A/C though as we are up to and over 80 degrees here frequently.

next to go in will be some green bananas, green beans, and roasted zucchini "wheels" (I freaking love those things). There's really no worry on my part about odor or flavor crossover with these items. I'll let you know if I am wrong.

This may be my last load for a while as my trip starts in a couple weeks. I need this load to help fill in a few gaps. I may do another load once I see all my meals and snacks lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I really don't notice it. There's a number of factors to that. This is our first year in this apartment. We were in a much larger house last year. I could maybe go through and look at my usage but we actually had a pretty cold winter compared to last year in TX so I'm not sure how good that would work out. I don't use this every week or even every month. I kind of go "in spurts" depending on what else is going on. When I get the bill for this month maybe I can see what it's costing us. My gut is that it's not much. I know some people who say that it costs them $1 a day every day they run it, sometimes less. We have a service that shops our electric rates for us and they just switched us so we are paying less than 5 cents/kwh and our first bill was a partial month for less than $21 (I think that was 2 weeks and included some heavy usage). My next bill should have "a lot" of FD usage on it.

SO I just looked up my electric bills:
    December was $45 (no A/c usage or heat on that bill!)
    January I paid $89 for electric (this covers part of December and part of January, covers heat, cooking, washer/dryer, lights,tv etc). - This was high and there were some actual freezing days through December and January. I did 4 loads in the FDer in all of December, and only 1 at the end of January so not likely more than 4 loads on that bill.

$68 paid in February (maybe 2 loads on this bill)
    $24 in March and then $21 in mid march (changed electric companies) possibly no loads on this bill
    April will have several loads on the bill. When I get back from my trip in May I will try to match up the bill and the number of loads I ran. We are already using A/C though as we are up to and over 80 degrees here frequently.
    I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Thought I would post some pictures. Some of them are fuzzy.

I was laying out my meals for my upcoming trip.

First photo is all my lunches and dinners laid out, though my cauliflower "rice" (plain and spanish) and veggies are not in the picture. Many of the meals have veggies in them but several do not.
    IMG_3815.JPG
    This is the inventory of the lunches/dinners.
    IMG_3819.JPG

This is my breakfast. 35 packages of Yumminess. 3 large scrambled eggs with homemade (even ground the pork myself) breakfast sausage, mushrooms, and red/yellow peppers. Some have salsa and some have jalapenos. I also have FDed colby cheese not shown to add to eggs or other meals.

IMG_3820.JPG

Also not shown are my nut mix snacks (simply packed in snack bags) and my FDed bananas (YUM!) and of course my coffee.

A week's food with snacks and all weighs just about 7 lbs. I can easily carry this much if I can figure out how to get it all INTO my pack. LOL. The volume is pretty immense. It takes 2 x 13L sacks! And I don't like things on the outside of my pack. I was hoping to be able to carry as much as 10 days food but that seems about impossible with my current pack (50L).

I freeze dried bananas, blueberries (bought them frozen) and a few Kiwi. OMG! I need more kiwi. The others are good too. I have more blueberries and raspberries to FD but I think I'll buy some kiwi too!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++