WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Down and gloves

Default Down and gloves

I'm starting my 5 night hike tomorrow of the Foothills trail and the lows are "supposed" to be mid 50's. I can't decide if I need to carry my ultra lite down jacket and gloves. Even my thermal underwear. I have a 25 degree bag. Sux. Drove 8 hours from Mississippi to find 50 degree weather. I know it's gonna be absolutely perfect though. Just don't want to carry what I don't need. I'm trying to stay away from "what ifs"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Does the tiny amount of weight , even really matter enough to worry?

I take the same stuff all the time. No worry about what Im gonna pack. Even if I know I dont need long underwear, raingear, or a light puffy......I still bring it. Better to have and not need than the other way around. Things turn south fast when you fall in a creek or such...

I went for a walk last week. 85F in day, 65-70 at night. Miserable. Best day was Friday because it rained and was cool.

I did it last week. If going east to west there is a water source about 1 mile east of the Cantrell campsite and then it is dry until the Laurel Valley access/road crossing. Then water everywhere else. It was hot last week. I went swimming nearly every day. I don't think it will be as warm but unseasonably warm temps are forecast again. Gloves and long underwear would be overkill for me.

Last day of bear hunting with dogs tomorrow! Also, there has been a sighting of an Elk (not seen in several hundred years in SC) near the Laurel Valley area! Have a great hike!!

I wouldn't take any of that stuff on a short hike with those temps. You have a 25f bag which will make sure you're warm at night... even if temps are well below expected

I would only take the down jacket if you have insufficient other gear with you to be warm in the evening at camp

Is there any kind of burn ban along the trail?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    I'm starting my 5 night hike tomorrow of the Foothills trail and the lows are "supposed" to be mid 50's. I can't decide if I need to carry my ultra lite down jacket and gloves. Even my thermal underwear. I have a 25 degree bag. Sux. Drove 8 hours from Mississippi to find 50 degree weather. I know it's gonna be absolutely perfect though. Just don't want to carry what I don't need. I'm trying to stay away from "what ifs"

A puffy makes a good pillow and easy to transition from there onto your body for cold mornings. You probably won't ever use it outside of those two situations if you've got good layers.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Take the ultralight down, ditch the thermals, and ditch the gloves unless you've got raynaud's or some such. Have a great walk.

++ New Posts ++