WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Range View Cabin, ever stayed there?

Doing a short weekend hike of the AT next month and may rent this cabin. Anyone use it before? Wouldn't have to carry shelter.

Default Range View Cabin, ever stayed there?

Yes. Because it is close to the road, it is overused.

I haven't stayed there, but I was through there a couple of weeks ago and the spring in front of that cabin is one of the best springs I've taken water from in the 1000+ miles of the AT that I've hiked so far. It's in a nice location and even has an outdoor fireplace on the front porch, too. Looks like a cool place to stay.
    -tagg

Overused isn't always bad, unless you mean it's dirty. But what primitive PATC cabin isn't dirty?! Or mice-laden or haunted

I stayed there about 3 or 4 years ago, and it was great. Everything was neat - the privy, water supply, etc. They had even had some food stocked, which we didn't know about inaadvance, but it was there in case you needed it. The bunks have mattresses, and the cabin will sleep about 6 or 8. I highly recommend this place.

Good deal! I'm going to try!!

Anyone know if it's legal/illegal to drive on skyline drive between inisde closed gates during hunting season?

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's the 411

> Anyone know if it's legal/illegal to drive on skyline drive between inisde closed gates during hunting season?

https://www.nps.gov/shen/learn/news/...ing-season.htm

My bet is that "closed" means "closed." If you're caught driving on Skyline during these hours, you'll most likely be fined.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Anyone know if it's legal/illegal to drive on skyline drive between inisde closed gates during hunting season?

That's a question I would direct to S NP not to this forum.

Just asking here because this forum is a good source

Used this cabin Friday and Saturday night this weekend. Great spot!! Peculiar runin with a whispy 20-something claiming to be a thru hiker low on food... he thought there was a flat screen in the cabin!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

There are a number of PATC cabins along the AT in and near SHEN. Although I haven't stayed in Range View, I've stayed in most of them. They are wonderful, but take quite a bit of work to open up, get the fire going, etc. You are also expected to thoroughly clean the place on your exit, so don't maintain a tight schedule.

I once saw a ranger go after and ticket a cyclist for riding on a closed stretch of Skyline Drive. When closed, a park road is only open to hikers, equestrians and skiers; unless the park is closed altogether.
    Be Prepared

Good info! The park ranger working the entry gate said the park closed at 5pm, we also saw a flyer posted on our car but no adverse involvement otherwise. I think it's a great idea to close it down. The cabin use was a welcome change of pace.

Chose to hike up from the eastern boundary off VA600. Not signed very well but adhered to routine protocol to not block roads or driveway lanes and pull off on shoulder. Route finding after dark was a challenge but a great hike nonetheless. Thanks for the good info here

++ New Posts ++