WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water situation between Hot Springs and Erwin

Can someone give me a water report in the above section. I've heard many small streams and springs. Can you tell me which spots are the most reliable water sources. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

I was up at Camp Creek Bald on 10-6 and hiked out to Jerry's Cabin shelter for a shelter check & clean up.The spring there was the lowest I've seen in many years.Here in east TN we are -5.5" below normal rainfall.We stayed a night there and went north towards Big Butt then headed down Horsecreek jeep road to a camp there at about .4 mile down.The spring there was also very slow.Since then it's only rained an inch or so the local weather guys say we are in a moderate to severe drought.We only met 5 hikers in 3 days and 2 were day hikers.One SOBO said that there was water at several places but running slow.At Flint Mtn. shelter,the water source is a small stream and should be running.Just north of Devil's Fork Gap you should find water just past Boone Cove Rd.(also called Laurel Rector Rd.) and there are campsites and another small stream.You will follow this as you ascend almost 1000ft up to Sugarloaf Gap where there may be a spring.The water at Hogback shelter is a bit past the shelter and also may be slow.North of Sam's Gap there used to be 2-3 springs on the way up to Big Bald.At Bald Mtn shelter there used to be 2 springs so you should be able to use one at least.Just before Spivey Gap there is a small creek(treat this as there is a farm upstream) and several campsites.North of Spivey Gap you will cross another small creek and this may be the last water before the spring for No Business Knob which is a nice hike from the shelter so fill up there if it is running.Even in wet times this is not a great source.Check shelter log books for water info and ask any hikers you meet how's the water towards Erwin.As of today only slight showers are forecast for Thursday and then it's back to a dry forecast.Have a great hike.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Many thanks. This is a huge help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very low. Hiked Hot Springs to Sams Gap 2 weeks ago. Only shelters had any kind of water and some were super slow even then or hard to get.

Images

I just hiked sobo Damascus to Fontana and finished last Wednesday. Water is definitely scarce. Most shelters had water but a lot of piped springs were down to a trickle. A lot of streams were completely dry. A couple of shelter sources were just seeps. You eill need something to scoop with. We would drink a liter at every source and then carry about 2.5 liters or more depending on the Intel we had. I would say 3/4 of water sources were dry. Sometimes water could be found by following the stream or drainage down the mountain. No water at Mollies Ridge.

Many thanks. From what everyone is saying, sounds like the most reliable sources are around the shelters and those aren't flowing generously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++