WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Buckeye...worthless nut!
    "worthless, hairless nut" Purdue 1978

Images

Update.......7 of the seeds I found have sprouted. I'll get some photos tomorrow.

Images

Sorry for being so slow on getting photos. I have given away 6 seedling trees that were about 10-12" tall. Gave them to a woman doing some yard work at a local antebellum mansion just around the corner from the campground where I'm located.

I have one left that will be given to a friend in the campground. I like germinating seeds :-)

DSCF3584.JPGDSCF3586.JPG

watch for fungal problems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    watch for fungal problems.
    Will do...I used to do plant tissue culture and was able to see how easily the petri dishes became contaminated cause I didn't have a hepa filter fume hood to prepare them in.

Plant tissue culture

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A rose grown from tissue culture.

Plant tissue culture is a collection of techniques used to maintain or grow plant cells, tissues or organs under sterile conditions on a nutrient culture medium of known composition. Plant tissue culture is widely used to produce clones of a plant in a method known as micropropagation. Different techniques in plant tissue culture may offer certain advantages over traditional methods of propagation, including:

• The production of exact copies of plants that produce particularly good flowers, fruits, or have other desirable traits.
    • To quickly produce mature plants.
    • The production of multiples of plants in the absence of seeds or necessary pollinators to produce seeds.
    • The regeneration of whole plants from plant cells that have been genetically modified.
    • The production of plants in sterile containers that allows them to be moved with greatly reduced chances of transmitting diseases, pests, and pathogens.
    • The production of plants from seeds that otherwise have very low chances of germinating and growing, i.e.: orchids and Nepenthes.
    • To clear particular plants of viral and other infections and to quickly multiply these plants as 'cleaned stock' for horticulture and agriculture.

Plant tissue culture relies on the fact that many plant cells have the ability to regenerate a whole plant (totipotency). Single cells, plant cells without cell walls (protoplasts), pieces of leaves, stems or roots can often be used to generate a new plant on culture media given the required nutrients and plant hormones.

Tissue culture by meristem micropropagation - cloning - has been invaluable for mass propagation of in demand and rare orchids. It has significantly reduced orchid prices of rare genera and species compared to 19 and early 20th century vegetative propagation techniques. Sterile environs are a necessity.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    . I caught this jaw dropping gorgeous yellow buckeye in glorious bloom at Morton Arboretum.

I used to jump the fence and goof off at morten arboretum, back in a previous millennium

Images

Because I know what a seedling looks like, I'm now finding seedlings in the woods and I'm also finding plants that have had their buds eaten off the previous year/years and now have numerous shoots forming from from the root stock very low to the ground surface. I have also found a good size group of trees about 7-8 feet tall in a section of woods not traveled by anyone. Right outside my RV window I saw a budding tree about 4 ' tall and thought I would be able to watch the bud open in a day or two. 10 min. later I saw the tree shaking, went to the window and saw a squirrel eating the buds off the tree...........ate all of them right in front of my eyes. Exciting!!!!

Images

Many of the trees here in the campground are in blossom, red buckeye for sure :-) this blossom is on a tree 4 foot high.

red buckeye.JPG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++