WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Official Start of the Teton Crest Trail

Hello! I am planning to hike the Teton Crest Trail (TCT) next summer. I have found a few resources online that have a few different starting points. If I was going to "thru" hike the TCT from south to north, what is the proper trailhead to do so? Is it Philips Pass trailhead? RootsRated has a nice summary of it here.

I circled (in red) those two trailheads off of HWY 22. What is the best way to get to these trailheads if we leave our car at the other end?

If you want to do the trail in full, start at the Phillips Pass trailhead halfway up Teton Pass and come out at String Lake via Paintbrush Canyon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

cant answer your question - but how busy is this trail in August? anyone know? Trying to plan a week trip out west for next summer. tetons are high on the list, but wanting something where its not going to be too crowded.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

The backcountry of the GTNP is not busy at all...most tourists don't get off the roads, or walk more than half a mile from their car. It's pretty remote and rugged terrain. I'm sure there will be some backcountry backpackers, but it shouldn't be bad. August would be a great time for Wyoming, but remember it can get below freezing in the mountains even in the middle of summer.

They have a zone reservation system, which limits the number of people camped in each section, but you still may run into a lot of people over the day. Where there are dayhikers especially, it may be crowded. We hiked in the Tetons in late June of 2007 and I complained then about the crowds (i.e. 44 backpackers in one day).The northern parks saw a surge in visitation this year, to almost insane numbers.

We did a 3 day loop hike, which was great, starting at Jenny Lake, then up Cascade Canyon, to Death Canyon, down to Phelps Lake, then up the Valley Trail to the Lupine Meadows Trail and back to Jenny Lake for a total of 40 miles. It was gorgeous.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The backcountry of the GTNP is not busy at all...most tourists don't get off the roads, or walk more than half a mile from their car. It's pretty remote and rugged terrain. I'm sure there will be some backcountry backpackers, but it shouldn't be bad. August would be a great time for Wyoming, but remember it can get below freezing in the mountains even in the middle of summer.
    I disagree--I think August will probably be really busy. We did the TCT in September, and I'll bet we saw at least 30 backpackers in the three days we were in the backcountry. And this was mid-September, which is well past the peak of visitation for the park (it actually snowed a few inches right before we started our trip). We were able to get walk-up permits with no problem. The Rangers told us that most days in mid-summer, the permits are gone by early morning.

That said...do it. The scenery is AMAZING.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    We did a 3 day loop hike, which was great, starting at Jenny Lake, then up Cascade Canyon, to Death Canyon, down to Phelps Lake, then up the Valley Trail to the Lupine Meadows Trail and back to Jenny Lake for a total of 40 miles. It was gorgeous.
    You missed the best part! Upper Paintbrush Canyon and Paintbrush Divide are STUNNING. If you go up Cascade Canyon and skip Paintbrush, you're missing out on one of the best vistas in the Rockies--and I do not make that claim lightly. Whatever you do, go up (or down) Paintbrush Canyon instead of Cascade!

Also, I recommend going all the way to Granite Canyon instead of Death Canyon. You will see almost every inch of Death Canyon from Death Canyon Shelf (on the TCT). Granite Canyon is really pleasant.

Here's what I would do if I was hiking again (this is what we did earlier this year--we just started at Phelps Lake instead of Jenny). Start at Jenny Lake. Take the Valley Trail south to Granite Canyon. Hike up Granite Canyon to reach the TCT (Granite has a very gentle grade). TCT to Painbtrush Canyon. Then down to Jenny Lake again. That's 60 miles. We did it in about 3.5 days.

Sorry if this is old news. If not it's a good read.
    http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/hiki...e-teton-crest/
    The Tetons are special. Enjoy.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

phillips pass and paintbrush/string lake are the generally accepted 'official' termini

Journal Entries

Great! Thank you for all of your helpful advice.

One other question I have, in your opinion, how many nights could a hiker expect to do the TCT in? 3 or 4? I have thru-hiked the AT and my wife and I are in fairly good athletic shape. We don't want to rush through, but we also have a few days before/after this backpack trip to day hike and camp too. I think a 4-night trip would be 8.7, 10.8, 8.5, 8.5, 7.0. A 3-night trip could be 8.7, 13.1, 15.0 and 7.0. Thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Dogwood is correct, that's the "Complete Crest Trail." If you add the Old skyline Trail farther North you get serious solitude, but there are people in the core of the Range because it's one of the planet's most iconic mountain locations. It is however relative as to what consitute's a crowd. I too have seen lots of backpackers, but with that zone and site system it's a really great camping set up and 99 or whatever percent you're on the trail your group will have it to itself. If you decide to go up Coal Creek as Athletic as you are you might hike Mt. Taylor. Nice little knife edge and amazing view northward. Coal Creek Meadows are quite exquisite with flowers.

Some people here hike/run the crest in a day now, it's under 40 miles. Some people take more than a week. People typically choose 4 nights, 5-6 if you do side hikes to Snowdrift, Kit, Mica, etc.

My favorite camp sites on trail northbound are are in National Forest near Marion Lake; Death Canyon Shelf, Mirror Lake in Alaska Basin, High up in the Southfork of Cascade Canyon for quick hike to Avalanche Divide, and Holly Lake below Paintbrush Divide. Get what you can and if you have to go southbound just turn around for the views every once in a while. Have a great time.

Not sure where Phillips Pass is. Following my earlier link, a local has a different starting point. It's all good. Start where you like, but start!
    "He dropped me at Highway 22. I pointed my thumb west. Second car pulled over. A school teacher and his little boy, commuting from Driggs. His passion was backcountry skiing. Climb up and zoom down. No the trail starts at Coal Creek just over Teton Pass as we whizzed by the North Fork trailhead.

Well, that’s decided. I’m hiking in at Coal Creek, the longest of the three “no cheaters here” routes. It was dusk as I headed up the trail, looking for a flat place to pitch my tent beyond earshot of the road. "
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++