WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ***...ordered Gossamer gear grips to try on my BD carbon cork..

Grips have a hole all the way through...description is very misleading as states “this grip doesn’t have a plug on top”...maybe I’m dumb but I assumed that meant it’s solid as the ones on the video link show...anyone have any input...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a black diamond Alpine Cork hiking pole for all my trips (one pole only---keeps my pruner arm and hand free)---and just got back from a trip whereby the cork on the pole chunked off . . . once again. I'm on my third such BD pole. (Made a mistake 10 years ago buying 2 sets of poles).

Your gossamer fake corks don't look they are gonna fit as the top handle knob might have to be hacksawed off and the cork hole reamed out.

I've done two things to replace this cork---get foam walking cane grips and either cut one lengthwise and wrap around the pole where the cork used to be---using super glue and a long string to keep it tight while drying---

Or cut off the handle knob as mentioned and slide a foam grip down on the handle shaft.

Well GG has great support as refunded the $15.00 and edited the product description and video.....I guess I’ll try to put on and plug the home with something...

Apparently they used to come with plugs but not anymore and don’t offer...very strange...I guess I’ll try to trim down a wine cork to plug the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I use a black diamond Alpine Cork hiking pole for all my trips (one pole only---keeps my pruner arm and hand free)---and just got back from a trip whereby the cork on the pole chunked off . . . once again. I'm on my third such BD pole. (Made a mistake 10 years ago buying 2 sets of poles).

Your gossamer fake corks don't look they are gonna fit as the top handle knob might have to be hacksawed off and the cork hole reamed out.

I've done two things to replace this cork---get foam walking cane grips and either cut one lengthwise and wrap around the pole where the cork used to be---using super glue and a long string to keep it tight while drying---

Or cut off the handle knob as mentioned and slide a foam grip down on the handle shaft.
    Several videos on youtube about doing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Well, your BD alpine cork poles are TOTALLY different than my alpine cork poles---

Nope looks same less the sheen....after scraping the grips off you drill out rivet and as you said cut ends off...definitely a tight fit as others said it’s doable. For ****s and grins I called BD CS and asked them about buying grips but unfortunately not available....did send a 40% coupon for new poles.....I’ll give it a go

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Apparently they used to come with plugs but not anymore and don’t offer...very strange...I guess I’ll try to trim down a wine cork to plug the hole.
    Let us know if we can help with your supply of corks!

Here are some of my BD solutions when the cork dies---

These are foam grips. The left shows a BD pole after the top knob has been cut off and the foam grip slipped over the pole shaft. Works well.

The second keeps the handle knob and the grip is cut lengthwise and super glued on the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Let us know if we can help with your supply of corks!
    don’t think I’ll have a problem in that department!

++ New Posts ++