WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another pot/cup question

Right now I have a old 1.2lt aluminium pot which I pack with my Esbit stove, some spare packs of Esbit fuel, a lighter and some tea/coffe bags to fill the void.
    A plastic cup with lid is separate.
    Both this items are roomy and dont fit well into the bag.
    I'm not really cooking, but only heating water for tea/coffe and to rehydrate the freezedried meals.

Now I'm looking for a pot/cup combo that fits better into the bag, can host my Esbit stuff and might be a bit lighter than the stuff I carry now.
    I think that the water boiling capacity should be about 0.5lt, and the cup shouldn't be smaller than 0.35lt. For both items a lid is mandatory (the lid of the cup should fit tight and waterproof).

My idea is, that the shape of the pot should be obround or elliptical, to meet my needs better.

The cup and the pot could be just one item, but I'm afraid there are contradicting demands (insulation for the cup, tranferring the heat for the pot).
    I know the MSR stuff where the round pot can host one or more sector-shaped cups. Basically this gave me the idea to ask for the above.

You won't find a water-tight lid on any normal type cook pot.

The Titanium SnowPeak 600 pot/cup (or other SnowPeak Type pots of different sizes) with a custom made cozy might do the trick for you quite well, as would the aluminum IMUSA 10 cm or 12 cm pot/cups, again with custom DIY cozies on them. Neither has a water tight lid.

I really like my GSI Infinity cup for just drinking and eating (not cooking). It has a water tight lid and cozy and weighs almost nothing, but is plastic, so you can't cook in it.

Good luck on your search.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

This is the only one that comes to mind, but the lid isn't watertight. And it's kind of heavy.

http://www.stanley-pmi.com/store/sta...ctID.324177400
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I use the GSI Infinity cup mentioned by nsherry61. It weighs 3.6 ounces and the lid is a very nice fit.

As you can see from the photos, the Infinity cup fits inside the GSI Haulite 1.1 liter pot. The lid doesn't quite reach the rim of the pot with the cup inside, but the fold-over handle secures it very nicely. There is a lot of room inside the cup for Esbit fuel, spoon and lighter. And some sort of aluminum windscreen could easily fit between the cup and the pot also. The combined cup/pot/lid weight is 10.88 oz.

GSI01.jpgGSI02.jpgGSI03.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 10-21-2016 at 14:28.

Thank you all, some very good ideas.
    Especially the Snow Peak Hot Lips, and the GSI Infinity.

What I'm specifically searching for is something like the mockup below:
    (I'll leave the pot handle and the lids up to your imagination)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you looked into just using something like the GVP Caldera Cone and perhaps adapting your cup needs to be more compact and versatile?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm happy with the original Esbit stove and fuel, for several reasons, one of them being, in Europe Esbit is pretty popular and maybe easier to get than alcohol, and in the Middle East there is no alcohol (and if you bring a bigger amount your own you might get problems at the customs). I'll stay with Esbit, no problem.

The main reason why I want to change the pot+cup is the shape. Huge round items take too much space in the pack and are just clumsy to stow away.
    I changed from round PET bottles to square PE bottles years ago for the exact same reason.

OK, obviousely there is no pot+cup system of the shape I'm dreaming of, so maybe I have to make one my own?
    Or is there any manufacturer who wants to jump on this idea?

Maybe you could start with this outfit and modify it to better meet your needs/wishes. There are several milliary oblong pot systems out there. This one appears to be titanium whereas most are steel. Maybe one of those oblong, plastic, MSR cook kit cups would fit inside the pot instead of that canteen.
    Last edited by nsherry61; 10-22-2016 at 12:19.

A rather expensive experiment, but perhaps hack something like THIS?

Hee... great minds thinkin' alike.

Here you go. An oblong aluminum pot/cup and esbit stove, all together for only $5.

Oh whow...
    That looks exactly like what I'm after.
    I think I will give the Aliexpress stuff a try first, as they offer shipping to Austria.

The military style pot+lid would be perfect, but the canteen is useless for me, unfortunately.

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    . . . but the canteen is useless for me, unfortunately. . .
    Sell it on ebay. You might get half your money back out of it since someone somewhere will think a titanium canteen is the coolest thing without having to buy the pot that goes with it.

Ebay is another great idea - its full of new or used cups+lids (which I would use as a pot), mostly stainless steel, and that would be OK for me.
    I think I can design and 3D print a suitable plastic cup.
    Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Funny thing I found while searching online:
    We here in Europe have quite a number of US Army Shops, where they sell surplus stuff as well as remakes, while on US-based ebay you'll find lots of German and Austrian contemporary and WW2 stuff... really amazing!

I'm happy with the original Esbit stove and fuel, for several reasons, one of them being, in Europe Esbit is pretty popular and maybe easier to get than alcohol, and in the Middle East there is no alcohol (and if you bring a bigger amount your own you might get problems at the customs). I'll stay with Esbit, no problem.

The main reason why I want to change the pot+cup is the shape. Huge round items take too much space in the pack and are just clumsy to stow away.
    I changed from round PET bottles to square PE bottles years ago for the exact same reason.

OK, obviousely there is no pot+cup system of the shape I'm dreaming of, so maybe I have to make one my own?
    Or is there any manufacturer who wants to jump on this idea?
    Is there a difference between the solid fuel esbit the Trail Designs GVP Caldera Cone runs on and "European" Esbit?

I mean the GVP Caldera nestles inside of its self with absolutely zero waster space (or at least significantly more efficiently than any other stove system I've ever seen or used). If you're worried about weird shapes and space maximization I doubt you'd do any better.

I changed to Platy Bottles ages ago for the same shape/space conforming reasons, I can understand that.

Anyways, it seems like something similar to (or exactly the sames as) the GVP Caldera would really fit the bill for what you're looking for. Only down side is that it's really only for boiling water so if you need a pot to "cook" in then it may not suit your needs.

Just trying to help out! Hope you find the right solution, keep looking.

I think the Esbit tablets are the same, only that Caldera seems to unpack them out of the wrapping cardbox and sells them in the 3-pcs blister pack.
    I know and apprecciate the Caldera Cone/Keg System, extremely thought through.
    But my stubborn self is fixed on this obround shaped system I'm dreaming of, sorry.

Doing lots of research the last days I realized that almost every army worldwide has some kind of obround system.
    Basically thats where I came from originally, having used a German WW2 canteen cup and my Austrian military Esbit stove.
    What was completely wrong with this setup was the single-walled aluminium cup, you burnt your lips doing a sip.
    So I stayed with the Esbit, but switched to a round mountaineer-pot plus a plastic cup.
    Now I'd like to have something smaller that's not round-shaped.

Strange that every army put/cup/canteen seems to be obround or body-contour shaped, but every backpacker/mountaineer stuff is round shaped.

I think the GI canteen cup/pot with lid is pretty perfect for my purpose.
    Just have to decide whether to get an aluminium one, a stainless steel one, or the luxury of a titanium one.
    Will give the 3d print of a suitable obround cup a try, too. The cup might not be a problem, maybe the lid would be a bit tricky.

I think the Esbit tablets are the same, only that Caldera seems to unpack them out of the wrapping cardbox and sells them in the 3-pcs blister pack.
    I know and apprecciate the Caldera Cone/Keg System, extremely thought through.
    But my stubborn self is fixed on this obround shaped system I'm dreaming of, sorry.

Doing lots of research the last days I realized that almost every army worldwide has some kind of obround system.
    Basically thats where I came from originally, having used a German WW2 canteen cup and my Austrian military Esbit stove.
    What was completely wrong with this setup was the single-walled aluminium cup, you burnt your lips doing a sip.
    So I stayed with the Esbit, but switched to a round mountaineer-pot plus a plastic cup.
    Now I'd like to have something smaller that's not round-shaped.

Strange that every army put/cup/canteen seems to be obround or body-contour shaped, but every backpacker/mountaineer stuff is round shaped.

I think the GI canteen cup/pot with lid is pretty perfect for my purpose.
    Just have to decide whether to get an aluminium one, a stainless steel one, or the luxury of a titanium one.
    Will give the 3d print of a suitable obround cup a try, too. The cup might not be a problem, maybe the lid would be a bit tricky.
    3d printing backpacking gear.... This sounds like fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"Obround" carries better next to your body. Round is high volume per weight. Military kits are for solo use. Many backpackers cook for two or more people in one pot.

I used to always carry a plastic whiskey pint bottle because they fit better in my pockets.

BUT, when carrying my gear in a backpack, not next to my body, round is easier to work with and lighter. And frankly, any hard shape, round, obround, or square is a pain to pack around. The logical solution for packing ease is going soft . . . like the Sea-to-Summit X-Pots and X-Kettles, but then, my aluminum and ti pots are a little lighter and probably more durable in the long run than the x-gear is.

The X-gear looks very tempting.
    Anybody knows how it feels to hold a X-mug of hot drink?

The X-gear looks very tempting.
    Anybody knows how it feels to hold a X-mug of hot drink?
    Yes. Way better than a Ti or Al or steel mug without a handle. Not as nice as any of the above with a cozy on them.
    I feels pretty much like a medium thickness plastic cup with some, but not too much, give to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++