WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Section 9 & 10

Default Section 9 & 10

I'm planning to do these sections, sometime around Thanksgiving. Can anyone tell me how the water is out there? Is Shoal creek all shriveled up? Looks like it would be easy to stash water along the route if needed.

Also...how well is this area blazed? I see that there a lot of trails crossing (yellow, blue) and I will be with my daughter. I really dont want to walk extra trails...

Currently it is dryer than it has been in many many years. I haven't been through there lately to know details. These sections are well blazed and maintained.

It is hunting season now so dress brightly in Orange and be heard. Put an orange bandana across the back of your pack. Choccolocco Wildlife Management Area can be very active with hunters. I have never had an issue with them, but be on the lookout. I once walked up on a Hunter sitting/hunting in the middle of the trail (Yes litterally).

Choccolocco Map and Schedule:
    http://www.outdooralabama.com/sites/...hoccolocco.pdf

Leonidas

Unless it has been maintained recently, there was sections of 10 with grass over 6" high. The trail was barely distinguishable.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Leonidas

Heh, 6' not 6". That was probably 2-3 miles into section 10. The initial drop into 10 from the campground was also 15-20 feet of briars. This was as of Labor Day.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Thanks. I have blaze orange pack covers. I guess I need a hat too?

I was kinda afraid the trail might not be "beat down" with hikers. Its been a really hot and dry summer. I didnt make it out at all this summer. Guess I wasnt alone...

Leonidas

I plan on taking some trail tools with me next time we go out. There were a large number of blowdowns as well. After the first 3 or so, I was really wishing I had a saw.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

My daughter and I just did the second half of section 10 this past weekend.
    Starting at Coleman Lake TH to Burns TH.

I carried 6 liters of water expecting it to be dry.

There was water through the entire Chipmunk Canyon. Enough water that you could hear it from our tent.
    Definitely low but flowing well enough to collect water easily in many spots.
    Turning left up hill out of the canyon there was no water until the Choccolocco watershed.
    The watershed had plenty of water.

My guess is that if that area gets rain before you leave you should be fine.
    I would err on the side of caution if it stays dry for the next two weeks.
    Hopefully someone will chime in closer to your departure date.

How well are the trails marked/visible in this area. I'm teaching her to "hike her own hike", and she will probably be out ahead of me most of the time, and I worry she might get off the trail. She is 19 with some experience on trails, but it is usually following me or a very well marked/visible trail. With all the leaves and low traffic, it may make it difficult for her find.

Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    How well are the trails marked/visible in this area. I'm teaching her to "hike her own hike", and she will probably be out ahead of me most of the time, and I worry she might get off the trail. She is 19 with some experience on trails, but it is usually following me or a very well marked/visible trail. With all the leaves and low traffic, it may make it difficult for her find.

Very well blazed. The trail might not have much traffic but there is a 100 mile endurance race every year thus the trail is pretty established.
    Did a 4 day piece late December (sections 7,8,9) last year and the trail was very obvious.

Daughter and I just finished section 10 and it too is very well marked and visible.
    Approaching Coleman lake there are several horse trails that intersect the Pinhoti. Marked very well though.
    My daughter loves to lead yet I don't let her out of my site. Even when I let her walk away she stops as she is a nonstop talker.
    BTW she is 9 year old. I do reinforce the idea of looking for blazes every once in a while.

Thanks! Yeah...if she was 9, Id keep her close. Mine is very independent, and wants to do things for herself. She has actually, renounced her millennial status. She thinks they are just a bunch of crybabies.

Leonidas

The only spot I would be worried about is in the beginnings of 10. Somewhere in between mile 120-122 it was over my head brush with pretty sparse markings. Hopefully a crew has made it out there and cleaned it up some. Good thing is, this time of year there should be no snakes! There is a guy SOBO on the ECT that might be through that area while you are out possibly, he was at Neel Gap last week sometime if I remember right.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Not sure what sections are 9 & 10, I did a night hike from the ranger station on hwy 78 to Lower Shoals Shelter Friday night and on to Pine Glen Saturday, was surprised to see good water at Lower Shoals, Shoal Creek will have plenty of water, north of there to Pink e Burns would have water.

section 9.
    SOUTHERN TERMINUS
    106.2 ~ SOUTH FS 500 TRAILHEAD
    119.8 ~ PINE GLEN TRAILHEAD
    NORTHERN TERMINUS
    Landmarks: Shoal Flats / Heflin
    Woods Trial: Moderate
    Trail Mileage: 13.6
    Mileage from Flagg Mountain: 106.2
    Mileage to the Benton MacKaye Trail: 232.8

CS ~ Convenience Store / Mom and Pop stores ~ 0
    TT ~ Trail Town / Large enough for grocery stores ~ 0
    SC ~ Small Campsite / At least one tent site ~ 108.2
    LC ~ Large Campsite / At least three tent sites ~ 106.2, 108.2, 114.0, 115.8, 117.7, 119.8
    TS ~ Trail Shelter / Three sided, open front ~ 114.0
    SW ~ Seasonal Water / Dry a few days after rain ~ 106.2, 108.9, 110.3, 112.4, 116.0
    RW ~ Reliable Water / Always available ~ 113.9, 114.0, 115.8, 116.7, 117.2, 117.5
    HS ~ Hot Shower / On-Off Trail ~ 0

section 10.
    SOUTHERN TERMINUS
    119.8 ~ PINE GLEN TRAILHEAD
    136.1 ~ BURNS TRAILHEAD
    NORTHERN TERMINUS
    Landmarks: Coleman Lake / Heflin
    Woods Trial: Moderate
    Trail Mileage: 16.3
    Mileage from Flagg Mountain: 119.8
    Mileage to the Benton MacKaye Trail: 219.2

CS ~ Convenience Store / Mom and Pop stores ~ 0
    TT ~ Trail Town / Large enough for grocery stores ~ 0

SC ~ Small Campsite / At least one tent site ~ 127.0, 130.4, 130.7, 138.8
    LC ~ Large Campsite / At least three tent sites ~ 119.8, 122.4, 124.4, 127.0, 127.7, 130.6, 134.6, 134.7
    TS ~ Trail Shelter / Three sided, open front ~ 124.4, 134.7
    SW ~ Seasonal Water / Dry a few days after rain ~ 119.9, 122.1, 125.0, 125.3, 125.9
    RW ~ Reliable Water / Always available ~ 119.8, 124.4, 127.0, 127.7 131.6, 131.9, 132.3, 134.6, 134.7
    HS ~ Hot Shower / On-Off Trail ~ 127.0, 127.7 (same place)

++ New Posts ++