WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Section hike In the height of summer -- ten to twelve, with a couple hours down time during the day for breaks and for lunch. Break camp, on trail by 7:30, quit between 5:30 and 7:30 depending on energy level, etc. Useful light till 8:30 or so.

Winter day hikes, 9 to 5. Limited by nightfall at the end, and hard to get to the trailhead before 9. (Long drive to the mountains means I'm getting up at 6 AM anyway.)

Garlic
    Images

I like to make use of most of the available daylight to go hiking. It's why I'm out there. If I break up the day into two-hour hikes, I can pretty much do that for up to 14 hours, at least in the northern latitudes in the summer. The afternoons sometimes get a little tedious, but I truly enjoy hiking in the evening hours after dinner.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I aim to be moving 13-16 hrs every 24 hrs when in thru-hiker connected to it all ZEN mode. In that state a day is just a 24 hr period unyielding to being rigidly defined by sunrise, sunset, 12 a.m., 12 p.m., b-fast, lunch, and dinner. Sunrise and sunset don't necessarily define my 24 hr period or 24 hr period hiking time. Heck, if conditions dictate I'll sleep in the middle of the day and hike for 20 hrs straight day after day after day. I'll dabble at interesting to me experiences too like all of a sudden take three days off to take in a music festival, visit botanical gardens and museums, volunteer at something for someone else, or find a spot on a beach or in grove of redwoods or summit staying there for a couple of days meditating and listening until it's my time to move on, then resuming the 13-16 hr hiking or 20-30 hrs straight hiking.

Not necessarily a fast or slow hiker so my mileage comes through expenditure of significant amount of time having forward movement. Definitely a go with the flow hiker - adapt, be flexible, be prepared the best I can, and GO - GO ENJOY embracing the journey for more than hiking. In short I'm a weirdo anti monotonous variety wanted non long term routine non bored hiker never say die hiker.

We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Images

Up before the sun, breakfast in camp, moving by sunrise and hike until lunch time with a short mid-morning break in there somewhere. After about 45 minutes for lunch and letting the feet breathe, it's back at it until about an hour before it's truly dark, then make dinner and relax for about an hour before bed. Depending on the time of year and terrain, this usually ends up between 16 to 25 miles.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
    hey, at least you got gravel, we got sent to the tool shed without diner.

On a trip, I like to get at least 6 hours of good hiking in depending on the terrain and how my body feels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++